Distance runners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrygoround

Hello, I am new here. I said all about myself in the intro thread, but briefly, I am a 56 year old woman with aspirations to do a trail ultra.

I am 10kg over the weight I would like to be, and I hope to use running as my primary weight loss method. In my youth I ran multi day mountain races, but stopped at 26 years of age when I got pregnant with my first child. That child is now almost 30 and is an ultra runner herself.

Are there any other distance runners here? I am interested in how to fuel oneself without sabotaging the weight loss.

I make ‘trail balls’ for my family from dried fruits, coconut oil etc, but they are calorie bombs! And I hate gels....

Merry.

Hi Merry! I am a 49 year old overweight runner currently training for a marathon. I wish I had some advice, but I don't...my experience over the years has been that if I don't fuel (carbs) for long runs, my performance really suffers.

I know one person who successfully a lot of weight while marathon training. She was on a very strict no-sugar no-grains diet the whole time, forcing her body to go keto and burn fat for fuel. The results were impressive but I don't think I'll try it myself. Have you checked out Shalane Flangan's cookbooks?

And oooh an ultra trail run. Do you have a specific one in mind/date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back