Cohen's Lifestyle Dee's attempt to get back to normality!!

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle
Dee- I wish I could talk to you face-to face but I can't so will try to do it in here. Sweetie I think you are having a really rough trot & need to cut yourself some slack. I hope I don't sound at all harsh because I certainly do not mean to be. I want everyone to be happy & healthy.
I think to do anything & do it right you need to have your mind really set on doing it & be feeling positive that you can & will do it. It seems that you are having a lot of trouble getting into that frame of mind. There is no half doing Cohens. By trying to do it when you are not mentally prepared to really do it 100% you are just making it too hard on yourself. It's like trying to give up smokes. You don't try to give up. You give up.
It's more about attitude than anything. The mind is such a powerful thing. I really benefited from seeing a counsellor. It was scary but helpful to talk to someone who didn't know me & where I could talk freely. It helped me get things into perspective. At the time I had lost my weight but had trouble dealing with being slim. Now I know that seems weird but fat can also feel like a protective shield. I really recommend counselling. I was lucky to get a really nice young woman & only needed 3 sessions I think. It was free with a referral from my doctor (I could have 6 sessions free under Medicare)
Have a think about it. This is only my opinion of course. Nothing else. If you think you are really ready to be so strict & to do Cohen's knowing it will work if you follow it 100% then by all means do it & do it now.
If you think it's too hard at the moment then another option is just to relax a bit, look after yourself by eating healthy foods, drinking water, cutting down caffeine, getting your body healed and getting some gentle, preferably relaxing, exercise & lots of sleep. Try to see a counsellor if you can and then do Cohen's when you feel stronger & positive that you can do it.
I hope you don't take offence at anything I have said. I don't think I could have done Cohen's at many times in my life when I look back. At some times we are just in survival mode. I know I have been there lots of times!
Whatever you do you need to look after yourself & love yourself instead of giving yourself such a hard time. xoxo Cate

HI cate. I think the reason ots not worked out for the last wk or so is that- i simply cant motivate self. If iv got stuff there- its ok but when i get down to minmal stuff i lose the motivation. Iv never been an over earter- but iv been an under eater and i gues i cant seem to get out of that habit. I wld like to think im going to get into and make the most of the next cpl of mths and just DO IT. I dont think i wld benefit from councellor. I have to get into mind set- thats all. I guess my fiance makes it harder too- he prefers to get easy takeaway- and there for i follow along. He doesnt think i need to lose weight either so it kind of makes it harder. I need to lose this 14kg or so to allow a tummy tuck to occur- i do have a aim and goal but i guess when life throws things at u that tips u off balance, it kinda kicks ur confidence. I can do it- iv dont it before- i just have to get the support from my fiance- thats the main issue. I want to throttle him- just cos he isnt overweight and is fine when he eats fast food!!!! Anyway, i am going to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are heading to store after for my food so i will be on it tomorrow!!!! ANd on it till i lose my weight- except when i have the knee recon- will do best to remain as close as possible!! Unfort in hosp u dont get to chose ur exact meal but u chose as close to it as possible!!! Well, must be off and thanks cate for ur support. I JUST NEED MY MOJO BACK- MOTIVATION is my issue at mo...........

Well, i woke up this morning- and im prepared physically and motivated- for now. I got up and had YOGHURT for breakfast. I am almost ready for lunch- iv had a couple of glasses of COke Zero (its on my list) and im DYING for lunch!! hahahaha. I guess im hungry which i dont normally get on this!! Hmm. Anyway. I guess i will report back sometime and let u know if iv been diligent on here!! I just hope to be!! I splet til 5pm yest so i must be tired and just either not well- been very tired for last cpl of wks- no obvious illness. Hmmm. BUt i was up at half 7 this morn so its looking up for me!! Anyway i must be off or i will be getting into the hot cross buns before i realsie it!! OHHHHH SOOOO YUMMYYY but im not........ im strong....... later...

Today has been ok- i waas on track for breakie, i slept thru lunch!! and i had a gr8 tea!! BUt i unfort broke it with Lindt choc. It was 5!! But there isnt any more in the house and iv made sure if matt buys any choc, its NUT based as im allergic!!! So ultimately, iv done well i think. Im not pleased with the deviation but i had exactly as the diet said for 2 meals and although i missed the lunch, iv kept to the diet as such. Iv got a bottle of water to go to bed with and just hope i drink it. I am up early in the morning so i cant sleep in or thru lunch so thats a gr8 thing. Been really tired of late hence i slept thru lunch. I think its largely due to pain meds i take- i get the hang over effect. I cant go off them as i have sm serious knee surgery coming up and while i dont have broken bones i might as wekk with the level of pain i have- i have no ACL as i had bone grafts to prepare the FEMUR for this next mth. It was meant to be last wk but it got cancelled for many reasons. I just hope the 23rd of APRIL brings a date i can work on- then i can come off the meds and get back to reality and be somewhat normal. Until then i just have to focus on each day and get thru the best i can, im only on potent ones at night but the lasting effect is not all that fun!!!! But will wake tomorrow and hope i can stick to the diet the best i can. Now iv added some Coloxyl and Senna to the mix i might also feel better- 6days is too long to go to loo trust me!!! I hope this diet helps with that!! Pain meds clog u up too so. ANyway, i best be off to bed- its like 11.15pm and got 6hrs before im up!! Night all and heres to a better day for us all!!! night xo

Since the last entry- i recieved call from the bank- i thought smthing had happened to bank transfere but it wasnt- I WON THE EASTER RAFFLE- well 3rd place and it was a massive chocolate easter egg basket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why me... its agr8 thing but its such a stupid and rude time for me!!!!!!! Well, i have been naughty bt i havent put on weight and NO im not complacement. Easter to us isnt important and there wldnt have been easter eggs in the house on sunday but its like- HERE THEY ARE. Im a bit miffed at self that i cldnt control self but iv decided not to be angry- but just to say i was weak at the time and i now need to simply pick self up and regain my resolve!!!!!! Its just the way it has to be!! I have to say there are always excuses of late and this is another. BUT I WILL PICK SELF UP AND REPAIR MY DAMAGE. Monday will be my day. Dont be angry ppl. I realise im putting off the days...... but i have to. Im going to remain on track but if i deviate this wkend- its my own fault and i take the concequences the WEIGHT GAIN may be. My own weak fault. But here we go again.... i will try my best. Im drinking loads of water, eating what i have to and if sunday i HAVE to eat that last egg- i will. Then its out of the house and not in my face!!!!!!

Happy easter to all and hope u can maintain ur strong NO NO NO attitude.... i will try but hey, easter is never easy but for me, it wld have if i didnt win that basket!!!!!! GRRR

Last edited:
Since the last entry- i recieved call from the bank- i thought smthing had happened to bank transfere but it wasnt- I WON THE EASTER RAFFLE- well 3rd place and it was a massive chocolate easter egg basket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why me... its agr8 thing but its such a stupid and rude time for me!!!!!!! Well, i have been naughty bt i havent put on weight and NO im not complacement. Easter to us isnt important and there wldnt have been easter eggs in the house on sunday but its like- HERE THEY ARE. Im a bit miffed at self that i cldnt control self but iv decided not to be angry- but just to say i was weak at the time and i now need to simply pick self up and regain my resolve!!!!!! Its just the way it has to be!! I have to say there are always excuses of late and this is another. BUT I WILL PICK SELF UP AND REPAIR MY DAMAGE. Monday will be my day. Dont be angry ppl. I realise im putting off the days...... but i have to. Im going to remain on track but if i deviate this wkend- its my own fault and i take the concequences the WEIGHT GAIN may be. My own weak fault. But here we go again.... i will try my best. Im drinking loads of water, eating what i have to and if sunday i HAVE to eat that last egg- i will. Then its out of the house and not in my face!!!!!!

Hi De, hope you can actually spend some time to read Cate's last entry. She MADE HER CHOICE not to eat those eggs AND you similarly MADE yours to eat it. There's no such thing as 'no choice'. You made the conscious choice to EAT them. Don't mean to sound nasty but this is the way you are heading. To be honest, you have to be true to yourself. If you're not ready & committed to the programme, you don't have to be on it. So, you are logically NOT on the programme as yet so why stressed yourself to put yourself through it? You have not reached a level where you have finally accepted the fact that you MUST do something to yourself...hence I see that you keep rationalising why you are deviating. Ok, enough from me, hope you go deal with your inside first and resolve that struggle before re-starting on Monday.

I'm a weakling on beautiful food...my personal mantra before was 'Never waste a calorie on awful food'. so you can imagine how much I love food...and I still love them now. It is even harder in Singapore to be on Cohen, food is everywhere! You'd know what I'm talking about if you've been here. So, I have to make the choice...either I do it properly or I don't do it at all. So yea, THAT'S MY CHOICE.

Well, i guess that took the wind out of my sails flamie. Hmm. Food for thought- Excuse my pun.... today, iv remained on track and i can proudly say i havent deviated except i missed BF as we slept in. I was taken abak by ur abruptness and didnt expect it. I thought this forum was here for ppl to vent their feelings and maybe get sm kind of positive reinforcement- i realsied i did the wrong thing and im the one that has to pay for my decisions no one else!! I did make the choice to eat what i ate, and smtimes i guess when u have less then others to lose, maybe one does get complacent and think that they can just pick up the next day and start again. If ppl can admit they have stuffed up, then i think that is enuf punishment. Some ppl fall further down into their own demise when negativiety is thrown their way- im lucky i am not. Im not a strong believer in harsh words to rebuild any1s confidence. Thats ok. Thats not how i work, others work differently. I started out this diet seriously......and thought i wld remain that way- but unfort i dont feel i should remain here in the forum if i cant simply write how i feel and how my day went regarding this... not every1s life is perfect- not every one has the ability to REMAIN DISCIPLINED- but wldnt u rather see sm1 make attempt number 5 or 10 rather then no attempt at all??? Hmmm. Maybe i should start another forum for Cohen failures????? im sure there will be a number of us.......

Well happy easter all and hope that u can al remain strong in not eating any of the easter traditions. I intend to. But i realsie many wouldnt believe me!! So here goes.....

Hi De, as I said, I didn't mean to sound harsh but I just thought that playing 'devil advocate' could make you see the other side of thoughts. Can't help it, I'm a teacher :p. Really, I came in the hope to help...really not to put you down. Just making you realise that you are stronger in making YOUR CHOICE. Yea, don't get complacent gal, you already said it.

Having done this in the past and realise its MY CHOICE to eat what i eat, i just didnt feel i needed sm1 to come at me at be, i guess, high and mighty and so richous. Nothing is easy for me and if u cld walk my shoes for 24hrs u wld want ur life back in a heart beat Flamie. Lets just say, 24/7 pain with walking from the bed to the lounge takes half hour. SO to find motivation to organise the diet is difficult. And if i have a bad day, i mght not be able to have exaclt as i need on the plan. WHAT im saying is that at the mo i am doing my best, i realise i rationalise what i do, but if i was to windge that i was suffering too much physical pain to stand and make what i had to, it wld be like WOE IS ME. I understand ur intentions but i no what i have to do, i just have to bide my time to actually 100% be focussed for this. Iv done it before and been sucessful- no matter what others think- 30kg is a mean feat in 4mths so. I think im trying to remain positive but i guess ur comments threw me and have deflated me in a way. I realise they are just words...... but hey. ANYWAY_ i dont care what anyone thinks, i WILL SUCCEED in this and be at my goal when i get to my goal. It might be 2mths it might be longer- with surgery coming up next mth- i have to increase my food intake to allow healthy healing to occur- this is from dr cohen who said it last time so assuming it wont change!!!!! I make every attempt to remain on track and i do feel as though i will do a gd job until IM 100% on this. I wld assume not every1 is 100% on this and if they say they are, well. I have all my meat components weighed and labelled in the freezer for mondays efforts and iv got the salad, vegies and yoghurt ready to go. So the components are there, i simply have to DO IT. PLease stick by me and not just tell me 'unless im ready 100%' dont bother about the plan til that time. Thats not a positive thing to say and will turn others away from writing their own feelings and struggles on here. Im trying. Im not perfect- no one is. U should be happy im making the attempts to get slim again and not shun me at the 1st chance. I realise i keep saying i will start again tomorrow- its largely that iv deviated and need to restart to be 100% the following day- isnt this a gd thing??

Anyway, hope all have had an awsome easter and that if if any have had a little bit of chocolate- just pick up again tomorrow. Not everything works out how we plan but tomorrow is another day and we can all do this- just stick at it and we will!!!!!!

I think you've got me wrong here. I don't think I'm shunning you in any way. I just thought that if at this moment you are going through a difficult time, is going on Cohen at this time an appropriate one then? Perhaps I came across as being righteous...which I really don't think I am. I have in every way no authority to do so. I'm only first trial on the programme while as you said, you've already gone through it before.

What I am trying to mean is, you sound to me really having a struggle at the moment with your personal life and medical condition...so why not find a more suitable time before beginning? Of course, you don't have to agree with me but I do agree with you that your body needs to have more food intake to ensure healing and recovery after surgery...so why go cohen now? Anyway, I mean no harm. I shall offer my most sincere apology if I've given you any wrong impression.

Last edited:
Thats ok. I get defensive becos i have always had NEGATIVITY toward my ability to lose weight when ur trying to get out of the negative cycle it makes it harder when thats what u percieve a comment as. As u said, ur on ur first attempt. Thats gr8. I was gung ho the first time and very strict. I was rarely deviating and i think this time cos i have less to lose, i dont want to put myself thru the headaches. I start well, then once they start, its all over. And cos im on heavy pain meds to start with, its easier to just add smthing more to ease headach. Not surgary foods or comfort food- its more like a boost to low calories. It might be a piece of bread (not normally) or smthing that has a lasting effect for me. I honestly understand that ppl who read my entries must think im not serious about it. BUt I am thats the THING. I start out and do everything right then it kinda just goes down hill!! I will start this properly tomorrow!!!

The reason as to why i chose to do this, i thought maybe if i shed a cpl of extra kg, i wld be better off. LEss weight to carry around!! Crutches and rehab isnt fun when ur a lil over weight!!!!!!! ALso less stress on ur body with the anesthetic!! Even a cpl of kg can make a diff. Allow better breathing and everything. ANd u need less. And it means ur recovery wil be quicker!!! U dont have to spend extra effort in recovering cos u dont have to struggle against 2-5kg. Maybe this makes it a bit clearer as to y i chose NOW to do it. I wasnt too worried about the extra weight until now.

You know what- its got nothing to do with the food, the black and white process, its not that i cant have sweets or pasta or anything in particular- thats dragging me down, its the fact of requireing more calories to allow my body to remain in gd health and allow it to remain that way for surgery. and i dont wnt to be in a position that my body isnt well enuf to go thru with it. I want to lose my weight but i also want to be healthy enuf to have surgery for skin repair etc so i need extra calories/nutrients so im in a rock and hard place.

Anyway, hopefully this maybe makes u a lil more aware of where i am coming form too Flamie. Im off to bed, early start and that bowl of yoghurt is not too far away!!!

Night all and may Monday be a gr8 start for new ppl and a gr8 start to the wk for the rest!!!!!!

One gd day

Iv remained on track today d i cooked an awsome dinner- never thought it cld be!! Salmon with tomato, onion and capsicum with minute amount of chillie in alfoil and cooked in oven for 20mins....then have salad on side!!!!! The only thing i think may have been OFFLIMITS was that i used tin tomatoes- about 2 tablespoons. I didnt have any tomatoes to chop up. SO i may have stuffed it that way. Iv drunk water today- about 2lt. Should get another in before bed. Im kinda in head space that im doing gd and can do a bit better. I realise nothing is guarenteed and i cant expect things to go perfect but im doing everything in my powers for it to go well........ It went like this:

8:30 : yoghurt and fruit
2:15 : crackers with cheese and tomato and orange
6:30: salmon and salad
8:00 Orange

Water in between.....
I think iv done a pretty gd job and bring on tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

De, just keep up whatever you can for the moment, and don't despair if you are "not sticking to Cohen's". If you do, great, if you vary for whatever reason, then just realise that you can't do the thing 100% for now and will get back to it when life improves a bit.

In the meantime, I would just concentrate on making sure that you cut down carbs a fair bit, and only put into your body things that will nurture it and help you get over surgery. Keeping up a good portion of non-fatty proteins is going to help your muscles rebuild. Your body is going to thank you lots! You've already given it a few less kilos to carry around afterwards, so see what you can do to keep it up, and then worry about the rules 100% later.

You've done it before so you know you CAN do it again when there aren't as many obstacles in the way.

De, as a fairly bad chocaholic myself, I know how hard it is to resist.

Have you ever seriously tried to throw some of it in the bin??? I know it sounds like a shocking thing to do, and it's taken me till middle-age to be brave enough to do it quite a few times, but seriously, just try CHUCKING THE STUFF if you find it irresistible.

I throw out most chocolate I find in the fridge when I clean it out. If someone else has left it sitting for a while, they obviously aren't eating it, and I don't want to. If it stays there, it tempts me every time I open the door. I don't want to see it. I drop it in the bin, and try and get it to land in the middle of something smelly or gooey so I don't feel tempted to get it out again. It's very hard to do, but once you do it once, not so hard to do again. It's just chocolate - just FAT and sugar and milk powder and all sorts of additives and colours. Our bodies don't need it, and it doesn't do us any good - just keeps us in slavery to our tastebuds. And if we don't have it, the cravings die down and go away so we don't want it anymore anyway.

Get your partner to hide his, and then just deal with anything left lying around looking at you if you know you can't resist.

I try really hard now to convert the tempting sight of a lump of chocolate into the not-so-nice image of one of those big chunks of rubbery yellow human fat that they have at the Cohen clinics. When viewed in that way, it loses its appeal rapidly!

It's a hard mind-set to change, but conquering chocolate and other sweets is a big one for a lot of women, and worth doing something radical about. It's also amazing how much our moods improve when off it for a while.

Hey Niyah. Thanks for ur messages. I for some reason at easter love choc but at any other time, im not really a sweet tooth person. Matt got me a block of Cadbury Peppermint yest, and i dont feel tempted by it at all- i am more tempted by the Hot Cross Buns he got!!!!!! I am also a lover of Pasta. I have always had a love of this. BUt i have been very good since yest. I had a piece of fruit too many but in the long run- i am not doing it largely out of whack. I have drunk HEAPS of water, and im limiting the amount of Coke Zero i drink. I prob exceed my litre limit but about 500ml but for me, its down from 2/3ltr in less then 24hr. So its a gr8 effort and im gradually realising that i can actually drink water with a similar effect!! I have made the choice and asked Matt to actually buy chocolate products that contain nuts!!! Im allergic that will be anaphylactic and may cause death if i consumme..... so i dont get temptations.... its a gd thing for me. I actually chucked the remaining of the last egg i started to consume sunday in the bin and made sure it was in the YUKKY part- not that i wld get it out- im not THAT close to chocolate!!! I have been making sure i make the most of my food and make it interesting. We maybe going out for tea so i am not sure of what i will do- maybe just get a salad with a bit of meat. I wil have to look at the menu and get the closest. I know nothing will always be exactly as our plans say, but if u can get as close as possible and increase water limit that night and the next day to flush as much of the BAD stuff as possible. FOr me the mo it prob isnt a big deal as i technically need extra GOOD calories but i wil still do my best to actually stick to the plan where i can. Im hopeful that i can remain on the diet until the surgery and maybe the wk before surgery just increase the amounts ie: 120g increased to 170-200g. I wont be able to exercise at all so i must be careful..... but im confident i will do te right thing for myself!!

Im not losing weight for Matt, or my family, ITS FOR ME. But i also have to realise that if i dont acknowledge my medical and nutritional needs for my surgery and post op recovery, i wont recover well and be in trouble when it comes to my rehab period!! So for those who see me as just treating this as a joke, im not. I have about 4wks til surgery so i dont want to allow my body to be starved from extra nutrients that have been keeping my body relatively healthy- im still recovering from bone grafts end of last year so i am in a hard place- since the bone isnt 100% healed.... so i must be careful. I realsie this- and my medical team are aware of my needs and wldnt allow me to do this if i cldnt do it!!

Anyway i must be off but i thank u Niyah for ur support. it means the world that u havent written me off- i realise its UP TO ME to do this and only im accountable. NIght all and hope all have an awsome night........

Today was ok- i did have a bread roll with my lunch but got the grilled chicken and no sauces and had salad with it- i did what i cld with where i was- im drinking extra water- im loading up on that to rid of the BAD things-. Chin up and go again tomorrow!!!! NIght all...

Taking a step back from this until i can regain some composure for this diet- iv lost all motivation and dont feel im getting too far- im traveling interstate and plan to eat as close as i can but i wont be able to weigh any of my products nor will i get to plan my own meals as such. So i will do as i can and keep a tight leash on what i can change and relax on things i cant. im def a control freak on my own life and when things are out of my control- its hard to accept. Iv remained at 76kg so i am happy i havent gained but im about 10kg away from goal. Got wedding in Ireland in Aug and surgery end next mth so if i can change sm of that and get close to the mid 60's then i can be happy. Until then, i will do WHAT I CAN. See ya for now and maybe i will get back smtime soon....

Wow- so long since iv posted! So much happened. So much has gone wrong. So much sadness. Lost my brother tragically and we moved back interstate for 2.5yrs, we had a son, bought a house, Inlaw got sick and isn't well still, I got diagnosed with diabetes, my dad recently
Got diagnosed with Motor neurone disease and we now live interstate again. Life's not easy. I have lost 5 pages of my plan and cohens can't seem to get hold of it. And it's a struggle
To get them to look. So will just do what I can with what I have. And keep going!

Back