Sport Daily nutrition

Sport Fitness
Hi I am a female 21 year old.
I am 8 stone 3 pounds, 5ft 1.
I have lost 8 pounds since November and I am now looking to tone my whole body.
I have been going to the gym five times a week for the last month with a programme.
At the moment my diet is still a weight loss diet and I'm just wondering how to switch that to maintain my weight and gaining muscle and tone, I no longer want to lose weight. At the moment my breakfast is a bowl of porridge, my lunch is two slices of brown bread with ham, kale, onion and peppers or a chicken salad and my dinners usually range from a chicken stir fry, to sweet potatoes veg and chicken or chicken wraps, and once a week I would have two white potatoes and ham my snacks include an apple, orange, fat free yoghurt and some days a banana. I am also taking whey protein once a day. Once a week I will also have some treats.

Any information on what my diet should be to maintain weight and help gain muscle and toning would be great.

Thank you in advance

What equipment do you have available and what experience do you have with training?
There is really good post by goldfish in weight training http://training.fitness.com/weight-...inefficient-split-maybe-read-first-34522.html which is a well balanced split but no good if you don't have access to the equipment or know the exercises.

Toning and building muscle are 1 and the same. Being female you are unlikely to gain a lot of muscle easily without intramuscular hormone supplements so gaining what you will makes you look toned. What you will be looking at are the same types of sessions and all over balance a bodybuilder would use and reps in the 10 - 12 range at rep max, this means rep 10 or 12 should be a real struggle.

Diet is best kept simple. If what you have been eating is to your liking, healthy and has been allowing you to lose weight and you want to stop losing weight, possibly gaining some due to additional muscle, which is very heavy, eat the same stuff but more of it. Rather than totally changing your diet which will make volumes really hard to guage, just increase portion sizes by 10% or so. If you find you are still losing weight, increase it a little more, or gaining too fast cut back a bit in balance.
Your loss has been gradual and sustained based on 8 pounds in 4 months so you will not need much more intake to cover for that. A lot of what you will need is going to be energy for your more intense training, ideally that will be complex carbs, what the human body is designed to get most of it's energy from, the diet companies don't like that bit.
Diet is simpler than most try to make out. I have a colleague who can't get his head around the fact that having a standard western diet which is in itself high in protein then adding protein shakes doesn't make his diet the ideal balance. Yours is pretty close to balance, I always advise ditching supplements because if your diet is right it doesn't need to be supplemented by definition. The only part I would remove in yours is the whey, and just increase volume on the rest by small amounts and gauge how it's working.
Keep diet simple and you will do well. Over complicate it and get it wrong and you won't.

Hi thank you for the reply,

In the gym I go to I have access to a lot of different equipment..my programme includes barbells, dumbells, many machines like chest press incline, Roman chair, leg press, leg curls, lat pull down and then ab work on the mats!!

Inbetween the four months of course there was Christmas which was a real push back for me, so starting from the beginning of January is where my real change is as you can see in the pic the one on the left is just before Christmas and on the right is today

You should be able to give goldfish's session a go. It's worth a read even if you don't know the stuff just due to the general balance.
Main thing people get wrong accidentally is balance of training. On the male side this is often over working the arms, and under working the legs. With women there is a tendancy to over work legs and under work arms and upper back. Both have a tendancy to over work abs while ignoring the rest of the core, which considering the volume of people having lower back issues is not bright, but most are interested in training what looks good rather than what they need, ironically doing both makes you look better.
Ideal balance is Pull Push Legs Core which I learned as Back Arms Legs Stomach because apparently BALS is easier to remember than PPLC. Examples of pull exercises are deadlift (very useful movement), chins, lat pulls, upright row, seated row, arm curls . Examples of push are bench press, shoulder press, dips, tricep push downs. Leg examples are squats, leg press, lunges, leg curls, lunges, leg extensions, calve raises. Core will get worked if doing free weights by default, I still find one of the most intense ab engagement doing overhead squats (squats with bar held over my head with straight arms) but plank is also good. There are other core movements but most are isolating rather than inclusive, so hard to keep in balance, if doing crunches you need hyperextensions and torso twists to balance it while doing things that just engage the lot is far better.

Christmas is a time where if you haven't indulged a bit more than ideal, you've missed the point. Weight loss is always something that should be slow and steady to avoid it being water loss that is easily refound again. The figure I use to make most realise how pointless a 2 pound a day loss is in reality is the calories per pound of fat, 3,500. So losing 2 pounds in a day means either burning 7,000 more calories than you have consumed, not likely for most of us, or having lost most of it in water weight. The same over a week is a 1,000 calorie a day deficit and as much as most would want to go to in order to avoid hitting starvation zone.
Slow gains stick and overall they end up faster.

Nutrient Quantity Per
Day Energy 8,700
kilojoules Protein 50 grams
Fat 70 grams
Carbohydrates 310 grams
Sugars 90 grams
Sodium (salt) 2.3 grams
Dietary Fibre 30 grams
Saturated Fatty Acids 24 grams

See more: (linkedin.com/in/hippocratesinst)

Back