Cutting out too much fat!

Monster2

I just wanted to share a recent experience with everyone.
I found out there's a good way to cook sausage, and a bad way! True with everything I suppose.
I'm not a greasy meat kind of person, so most of the time, whenever I grill sausage I poke holes in the casing to less the fat drip out. For me, it usually ends up tasting a lot better and much less greasy. This also helps you figure out when it's done cooking too! (when stuff stops dripping out.
Well.... I recently started cooking a very tasty lean turkey sausage, and when I cook it, I cut it in half, and throw it on the George Foreman grill to get it even leaner. Okay. That worked really great. But I noticed not too much grease was dripping out of the sausage.
The next idea I had was to cut it open (just like before), turn it upside down, and let it cook! Well... it worked great (sort of) A lot of grease dripped out of the sausage, and I had a lot more grease drip into the tray.
BUT... it didn't taste as good. Really, not nearly as good.
So, I tried the first way again, I cut it open, but I let it cook face open, not face down, so some of the fat would get trapped and seared into the sausage for flavor. And it did taste much better.
So what's the point? Sometimes, you just have to eat what's tasty!
It was already pretty lean turkey sausages, and too much of a good thing, usually isn't a good thing anymore.

It can be very tempting when you are really focused on losing weight to want to eat as little fat as possible.

Learn from my mistakes... I did this...

My skin used to be just fine...

The winter after I got to goal - I started having a lot of problems with my skin... The skin on the back of my hands splits along the finger print lines in winter... It has started happening for this winter already... It only really stops in summer... It is like having dozens of little cuts on your hands...

All that I can do is use a soap for sensitive skin and cream my hands with special creams and / or ointments and wear little cotton gloves at night.

I have gained some weight and certainly ensure that I eat more fat than I was on my big project - but it hasnt fixed my skin.

People - be warned - you can easily feel that lower calories and lower fat has to always be better (and - lets face it - people enjoy seeing the drop at the scales) - but you can get into problems that way.

Back