Constant Injuries

Hi All,

I am getting concerned that I am always seeming to be injured at the moment. I'm training for the Edinburgh Marathon and prior to a Hamstring injury after Christmas I was injury free

Now, I have had the following:
Hamstring Strain (Left) - Mid-January to Early-February
Runners Knee (Right) - Early February to Mid-February
Plantar Fasciitis (Right) - Mid March
Some Knee Problem (Right) - Now

I had what seemed to be Plantar Fasciitis the week prior to Liverpool Half-Marathon but decided to run it anyway on painkillers after resting/icing all week. I ran through it with no problems at all and it hasn't returned since (also achieving a Personal Best)

I did the Sport Relief 6 miler last week and sprinted round the course, again achieving a Personal Best. My knee flaired up after that and so I rested until last night when I went for a casual run. I planned on 12km but got 6km in (just started to hit the hills) and I felt my knee going again. Couldn't run further so walked home with the occasional jog. Now I can barely walk!

What could be my problem here?

Prior to my first injury, my trainers did split so swapped them out immediately for a new pair but have completed around 150 miles in these so doubt they are the problem. Although, I did run the Liverpool HM in my 2nd pair

Regards,
LP

Try switching to trails instead of running on pavement. The non-give nature of pavement causes a LOT of stress on the legs, resulting in muscle inflexibility, tendon and ligament tightness, and joint injuries.

Maybe also look into barefoot running. It's not for everyone, but a lot of people who experience constant injuries, myself included, benefit from not wearing shoes.

Do you mean wearing Vibram Fivefingers or actually running with no shoes or socks? I really think that would be painful. I'm unsure what the pavements/trails etc are like in Canada but it certainly wouldn't be recommended here in the UK

Either or. Barefoot running can be feel hard on the balls of your feet at first, but that's why you just have to ease into them very gradually. (Don't even try running in Vibrams even lightly until you've walked in them for about three weeks.)

Ah, not many trails in the UK? That makes things tough. I would also recommend you see a physio or athletic therapist though. They can assess the way you run and find out if there's any tightness or muscle imbalance that could be contributing to these injuries as well.

It's not that there is a lack of trails. Around my area there are lots of forested areas and countryside to take advantage of, but the problem lies in the trails themselves. I wouldn't barefoot run in them purely due to the surface types and I know i'll cause more damage if I did

I spoke to a guy in the gym yesterday as he had some Fivefingers on. He was totally against running in them but said they were great for wearing to the gym

I run in my Fivefingers all the time on trails, rocks, and every other surface. Running in them is only a bad idea if you jump right into it without getting used to them. If you don't wear them around for a few weeks first, running in Vibrams will cause severe leg DOMS for a week.

The pain you have been feeling in various parts of your leg because of over exercising or running without having a proper workout. Anyway I think now it’s high time to mixing up your daily workout and maintain a proper balance. Give your body adequate time to recover after running. Try exercising on alternate days to give your joints and ligaments enough time to repair themselves. Try to practicing cross-train to prevent knee pain. Engage in different exercises on alternate days to give your knees a rest from your usual routine.
Please follow these wellness and recovery tips to keep your knees strong, healthy and pain-free:

• Take Glucosamine and Chondroitin capsules to relieve and prevent achy joints and knees. This natural joint supplement is safely being used by athletes, non-athletes and even pets to lubricate the joints.

• Get daily doses of Vitamin D and calcium. Many runners can easily become deficient in these crucial vitamins and deficiency can impair joint health. Drink lots of milk; eat cheeses and foods high in Vitamin D and calcium to reduce knee pain and discomfort.

• Correct your posture. Incorrect posture while working out can place wear and tear on your knees.

• Wear appropriate shoes while exercising. Get shoes that are designed for the specific exercise you're doing.

• Wear a knee brace. Knee braces will give your painful knee the support it needs until it heals. You can find adjustable knee braces at pharmacies and drug stores nationwide. Wear your knee brace while exercising to prevent further injury and discomfort.

• Build up your calf muscles. Many people who experience knee discomforts tend to have an underdeveloped (or small) calf. Engage in exercises that strengthen these regions of the body. Build up your calf muscles and you will experience less knee discomfort.

Now come to your hamstring injury. Although i believe you are aware of rice protocol. The immediate treatment of a Hamstring muscle injury consists of the RICE protocol - rest, ice, compression and elevation (never apply ice directly to the skin). This is aimed at reducing the bleeding and damage within the Hamstring muscle tissue.

So go in this process until your pain healed properly.

I would guess you are over-training and need to give your body a few days off to recover. Have you consulted with a doctor that specializes in sports medicine? or possibily seen a physical therapist that specializes in sports medicine?
Art

I am 53 and finally virtually pain/stiffness free. I would reccomend two additional suplements.
1) REBUILD RECOVERY OPTIMIZER I get in online at
2) Theracurmin. I take two every morning and two every night on an empty stomach.
I buy it online at

On a different perspective, sometimes being injured is an oppurtunity for one's body system to develop/benefit in another parts.

On a different perspective, sometimes being injured is an oppurtunity for one's body system to develop/benefit in another parts.

Yea I can agree with that. I usually run better when resting for a week.

Back