Confused, Need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

briantheawesome

Hello my name is Brian and I'm about to start my weight loss journey, a little about me 22 year old male, 5'11, 350 lbs, I have a few questions.

I'm going to start counting my calories, starting around 2800-3636 a day for the first week, going down each week for a year. what i was wondering is when I'm losing weight will my body take the calories it needs from my muscles or just fat since i have so much of it? i hear its around 4600 calories to stay the same weight ( with being moderately active). Will i be able to build decent muscles working out while losing weight and eating around 2800-3600 a week? I also burn around 3200-3500 while working out.

iv been reading up on how much fat,protein and carbs i should be eating, let me know if this is right or just down right wrong.

Calories for the first week:3636
727 calories in fat =80 grams
880 calories in protein= 220 grams (doing it 1 times my goal weight, so 1 times 220)
2029 calories in carbs= 507

If this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry!

Are you planning on using this thread as a journal? I might move it to a section that's a bit more visible for you to get feedback if that's ok with you.

Do you know how many calories per day you have been eating? And have you been doing any exercise up to this point? This should be your starting point for figuring out your plan and ensuring that your plan will work.

I think that you did a really good job in planning your protein, fat, and carb proportions for the day based on the amount of potentially conflicting info out there. In my opinion, you could go a little bit higher in the amount of protein each day with the goal of trying to conserve as much muscle tissue as possible while losing weight. Here is a section of an article that I recommend to a lot of people: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#nutrients I would recommend reading the whole article.... it's long, but well worth it! Getting back to the protein, depending on what types of foods you choose as your protein sources, they may affect your daily fats and carbs, so just be careful there. What types of protein foods do you plan on eating?

As for whether or not you can conserve or build muscle while losing weight, well that depends - do you plan on doing any resistance training? You can eat all the protein you want, but without resistance training, you will likely have difficulty in that department.

I'm really interested to see how your progress goes following your plan, so please keep posting!

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure if illl be keeping this as a journal. So far out of the 3 days iv been doing it my calories per day have been under 3000.

Day 1: 1865 in 0 out
Day 2: 2746 in 2945 out
Day 3: 2975 in 3216 out

Should i have a bigger deficit? take in mind the calories burned is just a guess by this website, I don't own a heart monitor. As for the type of protein, I'll be eating fish and chicken. I'll also be Complex carbs and leafy dark greens. I plan on starting weight training in a week or two once i get used to counting my calories. Thanks for the website link! it has a lot of great info, I will be reading it over the next few days as i have time.

This is a huge change for me, from sitting down 7-9 hours a day and not watching what i ate at all to going for 5 mile walks and 60 minute work outs on my stationary bike, and counting all the things i put into my body. It's gonna get some getting used to that's for sure! Another hard part is having to live with family members that don't try or care, its harder to watch what i eat and motivate. I'll be using this website a lot during my weight loss!

When I'm doing the whole calories out vs in do i factor in what my body burns doing nothing? how does that work

Originally Posted by briantheawesome

When I'm doing the whole calories out vs in do i factor in what my body burns doing nothing? how does that work

Is this what you did above? If so, that works just fine. It makes it pretty easy to see everything factored in that way. Just do keep in mind that these are all estimates, so if you're not losing weight, then you'll either have to become a more accurate calorie counter, reduce your caloric intake slightly, exercise more, or a combination of all three.

You're off to a great start! I think it's a great idea to just start with one change and slowly add more instead of changing everything at once. Now, just stick with your plan, measure the results every week or two, and change things accordingly!

Sounds good! In case you're interested, the section where most people log their progress on the forum can be found here:

http://weight-loss.fitness.com/f/9/weight-loss-diary

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back