Confused about HIIT

Hi everyone!

I've been working out for the past few months doing pretty much cardio in attempts to lose some fat off my body. I started off at 203lbs and now I am sitting at 191lbs. However, I have read about this HIIT program which allows you to work out harder in less time which is quite ideal for me. However, I am a bit confused on how to accomplish this program.

For the past months, I've been doing most of my cardio on a treadmill machine. The most I've been training at is 5.2 MPH. For the first time yesterday, I decided to do HIIT on a treadmill. See my schedule below.

5MIN WARM UP - 3MPH
40SEC SPRINT - 7.5MPH
60SEC WALK - 3.5MPH
40SEC SPRINT - 7.5MPH
60SEC WALK - 3.5MPH
40SEC SPRINT - 7.5MPH
60SEC WALK - 3.5MPH
40SEC SPRINT - 7.5MPH
60SEC WALK - 3.5MPH
40SEC SPRINT - 7.5MPH
60SEC WALK - 3.5MPH
5MIN COOL DOWN - 3MPH

I was expecting to wake up really sore this morning, but that was not the case. Also, I know that many recommend doing this program every other day; however, I know I need to be doing more than just this workout to get real results. Do I have to weight training on the days I do HIIT and just do normal cardio on the days I don’t do HIIT? I am a bit confused. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

A lot depends on your specific goals, but generally, yes, you should do some weight training in addition to the cardio.

Personally, for me, I prefer not to do HIIT on a treadmill because you are limited to the speed that you choose when you may be able to do more, you also have to take time for the belt to get to the speed. The premise of HIIT is to go all-out for whatever time you choose, so if you are choosing 7.5 as all-out, you may be able to do 7.7 or even 8+

Don't forget about your diet - that will have a huge impact on results.

Congratulations and good luck to you, it sounds like you are off to a great start! Keep up the good work, and you will reach your goals.

I have not done HIIT yet, I know I haven't gotten to that level as yet as I finish my interval training workout and I can still easily walk to the shower and make the 1-2 hour journey back from the gym. I am tierd, but its not impossible for me to move.

I would imagine HIIT would exhaust you, that by doing it, there would be no energy left for anything else and you would feel too exhausted for anything else. The next day you'd probably be fine as you rest and regain your stregnth, your body does alot of recovery whilst you sleep. But the day of the HIIT would be different.

If you think back to your HIIT session, was it totally exhausting or could you have done more? if its the latter answer, I think you may have done interval training and not HIIT. If this is the case, keep training and eventually you'll get there.
If you were exhausted and couldn't manage any more, found it a struggle to get home and fell straight into bed/sleep, I'd say your there and to ignore your lack of muscle aches. Unless you were doing HIIT with weights, it was your glycogen levels you were hitting not trying to overuse and destroy/build muscles.

A lot depends on your specific goals, but generally, yes, you should do some weight training in addition to the cardio.

Personally, for me, I prefer not to do HIIT on a treadmill because you are limited to the speed that you choose when you may be able to do more, you also have to take time for the belt to get to the speed. The premise of HIIT is to go all-out for whatever time you choose, so if you are choosing 7.5 as all-out, you may be able to do 7.7 or even 8+

Don't forget about your diet - that will have a huge impact on results.

Congratulations and good luck to you, it sounds like you are off to a great start! Keep up the good work, and you will reach your goals.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am just looking to shed off fat. Do you recommend I focus on HIIT lets say two or three times a week and the other days just do a combination normal cardio and weights? Do you think I should do something else on my HIIT days?

Thanks in advance.

Back