Clearing Up HIIT: Guide to HITT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearing Up HIIT: Guide to HIIT

This seems to be #1 in the misunderstood category right now so I am posting this sticky to clear things up on what exactly HIIT is but not getting to science heavy. Hopefully this should put some confusion to rest.

What is HIIT?

High Intensity Interval Training is a type of interval training that is broken up into 2 segments. An extreme high bout of intensity followed a low bout of intensity.

What are the Benefits?

-Increasing your VO2 Max oxygen intake (in short increasing lung capacity and use)
-Lowering resting heart rate
-Longer increase of metabolism over more extended periods of time
-High levels of energy used in a single training session
-Better protection of muscle tissue over standard aerobic practices

The list goes on.

How does it work?

When you are doing a session of HIIT correctly you start with warm up of at least 5 mins to get your body prepared for the extreme work it is about to undertake. I recommend not only warming up by walking, but prior doing some dynamic stretches to prepare your body for the impact especially if doing the training in walk/sprint intervals.

When the first interval kicks in you need to go at an ALL OUT SPRINT for 10-20 secs. Unless you are a highly trained athlete you will not (if doing it correctly) be able to do more than this, period. This isn’t running, this is sprinting or better put running for your life as hard as you possibly can. I have seen people fall flat on there face before. You are working at a 85 to 90% of your heart rate. You cannot physically move and go much higher than this. I see a lot of people trying to time themselves or their heart rate during these sprints, it isn’t possible. You can’t do anything else other than pray and run for that 10-20 secs.

After that sprint you will then walk at a very light pace (you really have no choice but to) for 1 min or even a little longer depending on what you need for recovery time when you are beginning this type of training. After 1 min you will then do it again for 10-20 secs.
You will repeat this for a MAXIMUM of 15 mins. Most people however starting out will do this for about 10 tops.

After you are done with your interval sessions you will then cool down your body for 5 mins at a light walk pace.

Here is how a normal HIIT schedule breaks down

Warm up-Dynamic stretches (lunges, walking kicks, side bends, toe touches)
Warm up-5 mins walk to brisk walk
10-20 secs-Sprint
1 min walk
10-20 secs-Sprint
1 min walk
10-20 secs Sprint
1 min walk
10-20 secs-Sprint
1 min walk
10-20 secs Sprint
1 min walk
10-20 secs-Sprint
1 min walk
10-20 secs Sprint
1 min walk
10-20 secs-Sprint
1 min walk
10-20 secs Sprint
1 min walk
5 min cool down
Post workout Static Stretches

How intense is this workout?

EXTREMELY intense. After a real HIIT session you will feel light headed, dizzy, you may even throw up, I know I have. This is not a normal aerobic session, infact this is about increasing anaerobic threshold, this is nothing like what most people have done before, even those who claim to do HIIT.

Who can do HIIT training?

Not everyone can start out doing this kind of program. This is again a very intense and extreme program. It may take you a very long time to get to HIIT.

What can I do if HIIT isn’t for me?

You can do interval training at a moderate level or other style of cardio like Steady State.You do not have to do HIIT to lose fat, it is merely one option. However it is an extremely powerful option not only for fat loss but for health.
You can also do interval training and throw in one or two sprint in your program and build up from there. Building up to this type of program isn't to difficult, it is much like weight training. You have to have bouts of increasing your intensity.

This sounds dangerous, is it safe?

If done properly and with the right conditioning yes it is very safe. I highly recommend though being cleared by your doctor before engaging in new exercise activity.

I have read about what HIIT is and this isn’t it. Do you know what you are talking about?

Yes, but if you don’t want to take my word for it you can read these studies and decide for yourself.

Nice Post Leigh.

I will add for any of those who are reading this and may be conditioned enough. You can do whatever ratio of high/low intensity you like. Actually, it is good to change things up after a bit.

Last edited:
Improve your Heart with HIIT

A recent study has concluded that short bouts of high intensity exercise is as effective at improving the structure and function of your heart’s arteries as the traditional long duration cardio-vascular training.

Participants in the study were divided into two groups:

* The “sprint” group performed only 3 workouts per week. Each workout consisted of 4 to 6 sets of 30 second sprints on an exercise bike. The participants pedaled slowly for 4 1/2 minutes between sets of sprints.
* The “cardio” group worked out 5 times per week. Each workout consisted of 40-60 min of cycling at 65% of their VO2peak.

After 6 weeks, both groups showed similar improvement of arterial structure and function...

...Same heart healthy result in less time.

Not to mention HIIT's success at fat loss, anaerobic energy system development, muscular speed and power development...

I've been at this a almost a year & have dropped 50 lbs. As stated above HIIT is not an end all solution.
Combined with a good diet & exercise program it can kick start your system to get you over a hump or plateau.
I recommend some cardio conditioning before doing HIIT.
HIIT is taxing so you need to rest after sessions.
(experts please chime here if I' off)
From what I've read: HIIT cycles push your body above the aerobic state to anaerobic (lacking oxygen), then after a brief recovery repeats.
The body reacts and post workout oxygen/calorie burn is increased.
I like to do my HIIT sessions on Fridays in the 2nd half of my 45 minute cardio workout, so I can recover over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back