Circuit Training

I have gained about 20 lbs since getting my new cushy desk job and im trying to get back into my former college baseball shape. I just started to get into circuit training and im not sure if its what i really should do. Ive been eating better, chicken, tuna, almonds, salads, eggs... Heres my workout, tell me if its a good idea. Im 5'9'' 210lbs, i still have alot of the muscle from college but the chub is moving in and i dont like it one bit.

Mon, Weds, Fri

30-45 mins of weights: this circuit twice. 20-30 second break between exercises and 2 min break after the first circuit.

Abs - flavor of the week
Bench - 155lbs x 12-15 reps
Pulldowns - 85lbs x 12-15 reps
Squats - 135lbs x 12-15 reps
Curls - 55lbs x 12-15 reps
Nose busters - 45lbs x 12-15 reps
Lunges - 50lbs in each hand x 8-10 reps each leg.

After a long drink at the fountain i hit the bike for 30 mins hill style.

Tues and Thurs

Rock climbing mostly bouldering (high intensity short distance climbing)

I feel better but i havent really seen any change... im looking to cut about 20lbs and tone up for rock climbing and the beach in august.

Any suggestions??

One forum, please.

im sorry i wasnt sure where to put it because it kinda falls into a few different forums... so i figured id post on all that apply.

Abs - flavor of the week
Bench - 155lbs x 12-15 reps
Pulldowns - 85lbs x 12-15 reps
Squats - 135lbs x 12-15 reps
Curls - 55lbs x 12-15 reps
Nose busters - 45lbs x 12-15 reps
Lunges - 50lbs in each hand x 8-10 reps each leg.

I think circuit training works best when you focus primarily on multi-joint exercises, so I would ditch the curls and nose busters-the abs I would do as a warm-up and also include a low back exercise like back extensions, reverse hypers or supermans-and I would re-arrange the order:

Lunges
Benches
Squats
Pulldowns

I would also emphasize progression.Keep the 30 second rest intervals initially, but each week add another circuit, working up to 5 or 6 if you can handle the volume.I would take a recovery week and then come back with the same format-6 circuits- but focus then on decreasing the rest intervals by 10 seconds each week so you eventually progress to going through each circuit without any rest between exercises.I'd follow this with another recovery week and then hit a different program-maybe a strength oriented program for awhile to give your body a break from all the volume.

well one thing i didnt really explain real well is that this is a bit different, I dont time myself during each exercise i do the reps that i have posted. I figure its about 20-30 seconds per exercise anyways... I really dont take a break between exercises because i feel that my heart rate stays higher that way... i give myself 2-3 mins between each circuit to get my breath back and get a drink of water. at this time im sweating my butt off and im ready for another circuit. when im done the second circuit im tired. ive been slowly increasing the weight to get a better muscle building workout as well but i work quick and i like the intensity... next week im gonna add a circuit and see how that works... hopefully ill be able to do it... im hoping in the next month ill be up to 4 circuits then ill switch up to a heavy lifting workout for a month or so... then back to this workout...

I have to admit im loving the pump i get... but should i add exercises or just circuits? im thinking i need something for my shoulders... front and side raises maybe??

If you are already to the point where you aren't resting much between exercise in your circuit, then all the better.One less step in progression you have to worry about.

I'd definitely add circuits as a way to increase volume and intensity.

You might want to add some variety by designing two circuits which hit all the same muscle groups, but utilize different exercises.For example:

Workout 1:
lunges
benches
squats
pulldowns

Workout 2:
bulgarian squats (one-legged squat with non-working leg supported by bench)
inclines
deadlifts
cable rows

Using the same exercises for too long can lead to boredome and reduced enthusiasm.Best to mix it up.

Adding more exercises ia also an option.In regards to shoulders, I would do either military presses or even better, push presses as I'm not fond of isolation exercises but that is just me.

thanks for the advice! im gonna try some of those things!!

Back