Cardio negating strengthening of muscles?

Hi

I just wanted to ask the question to the forum.

By the fact that I am doing half hour cardio on the spin bike after each weights session (dumbells at home for half hour each night) - does the cardio prevent me from increasing my muscle strength ?
I am a 47 year old tall skinny ectomorph.
Should i even be doing cardio at all ?

I do 5 nights per week - mixture of upper and leg weights for half hour followed by half hour cardion on spin bike.

Thanks in advance.

mackabee66

Cardio won't negate muscle strengthening, but it may slow down muscle growth.

Strength doesn't necessarily rely all on muscle size, and your muscles will adapt to lift larger loads regardless of the actual size, to an extent.

Muscle growth, though, requires calories to progress. Doing cardio will slow this down, since obviously you're burning calories by doing so. It won't completely negate the effects of muscle building though.

However, 30 minutes of spin isn't burning a massive amount of calories in the first place, so if you're worried about it at all, just eat some more.

30min of cardio might have some minor impact on strength gains, but not a lot. If you were doing marathon training you might have more to worry about strength-wise, but that's a whole other end of the spectrum.

Don’t quit your cardio exercises. Although cardio may seem unrelated to muscle development, it is important to burn fat so that your hard-earned muscles are visible and not hidden under a layer of fat. Always do 10 minutes of stretching prior to lifting weights. This will help to prevent injury by warming up your muscles before they are asked to lift a heavy load.

thanks everyone for your advice.
mackabee66

Back