Cardio for hip injury? Help!

Hi...I am 21 years old, I used to work out an average of 4 times a week. Work outs would include 40-60 min. of cardio (running, elliptical, or stair master) followed by about 25 min. strength training. I had begun to train for a half marathon and was up to about 6 miles when I started having terrible pain in my hip area (about a month ago). I tried to ignore it and kept exercising, but the pain got almost too bad to walk. My doctor diagnosed me with hip bursitis, and prescribed Mobic, an anti-inflammatory. The pain is under control now to where I can walk, but I still cannot run, and if I do any type of cardio, the pain flares up again.

So I was wondering what I can do to keep in shape, since I have been almost immobile for a couple weeks trying to get this to go away. I have been lifting my upper body a couple times a week still as well as doing a 60 min. pilates video, but I can tell my body is starting to change. (I gain weight very easily) I have to be in a swimming suit in a month in Mexico, and I miss working out. Any suggestions on strength training that won't irritate my hip? What about swimming as cardio? Will that keep me in shape and toned? Also, does anyone know anything about hip bursitis and how to get it to go away? Any suggestions would be great, sorry this is so long but I am desperate!!!

Swimming is a good exercise but in your condition I would rather ask the advice of the Doctor. There are some exercises that the doctor's prescribe to relieve the pain. Bottomline is.. If by doing any exercise you feel discomfort, then you should avoid doing it.

I personally feel you should concentrate on getting rid of the pain right now. Once you have got rid of that, getting back in shape will not be very far away.

Best luck.

It will be best for you to progress back into activity once your pain has gone...but there is a reason why you developped the trochanteric bursitis in the first place...probably something in your running biomechanics...who is your doctor, is he a general practitioner? It would be a good idea for you to get checked out by an athletic therapist or physiotherapist, who can assess where the problem is coming from. Sure the anti-inflammatories and rest will help, but if you don't fix the source of the problem, it will just come right back when you start running again...Since you will experience pain with any kind of hip movement (or almost) right now, your best bet would be a swimming pool and one of those "things" (sorry but I have no clue what they are actually called *blushes*...) that you put between your feet so you can swim using your arms only. You will eliminate painful movement, and you will get your cardiovascular workout (not to mention a crazy arm workout!!!)...

Keep me posted!

Back