Sport Carbs and addiction

Sport Fitness

Action to take?

• let it go and worry about losing the weight later - easpecially as I find it easy now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • try going for slow release carbs such as wholemeal bread - and hope the cravings get better in time

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • keep carbs to a minimum - cutting them doesn't make that much difference to bodybuilding anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else - see post

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
I've just found out that a low carb diet is no good if you want to put on muscle.

As a result I've been eating stuff like pasta and bread.

I'm finding this is quite addictive compared to keeping carbs to a minimum; when I eat I get a craving for chocolate.

What can be done? How dangerous is it to sucume to the cravings and eat stuff like chocolate while I'm bulking (trying to gain muscle)?

Also, what's all this stuff about gycermic index?

History:

In my childhood I had a very bad diet - probably 80%+ carb, (sugarery carb mostly) but not too much fat. It's only recently after reading about Atkins and low carb that I've relised how bad my diet was. I might eat bread and jam for breakfast, chocolate bar, crisps, chips and burger for lunch and pasta for dinner. Back then carb wasn't something to worry about; it was fat and I wasn't doing too bad on that front. Totally on the road to diabetes. My brother still has the same diet.

At 20 I started trying low carb and loved it; easy to lose wieght and stopped the addiction.

Could my bad diet in childhood have created a body sensitive to sugar - that my ability to produce insulin has been effected so similar so that my blood sugar levels lead to addictive behaviour?

Sometimes the cravings are worse than Class B drugs.

It's only recently (22)I've started bodybuilding and come across this problem.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Wanted to let ya know that you're not alone. I get chocolate cravings all the time. I feel it's still important to give yourself at least one cheat meal a week. It keeps you sane and your body usually will thank you for it. Helps me stay focused during the week if I know I can eat what I want on Saturday evening.

As far as the cravings going away.....I haven't experienced any let down yet. I still NEED chocolate from time to time. If I feel like I'm about to fall off the wagon I grab some Sugar-Free jello or something like that.

In Health,
DM

Back