Calories in/out

henry68

Let's say a man consumes 2000 calories.

and this person now consumes 1500 calories.

For a short period of time, he will lose some fat but his body will adapt to 1500.

So he would drop 300 more calories so now he is consuming 1200 calories each day.

Which is not enough calories to sustain his daily activity for a long period of time.

So he takes a break from diet and slowly increases his calories back up over time and wouldn't it bring him back to square one?

Depends on how many calories he burns. Most men would lose weight on 2000 kcal a day anyway. Of course if you only burn 1800 kcal and eat 2000 a day you'll slowly gain weight, regardless of whether you're overweight or whether you've just lost weight. If you burn 2000 and eat 2000 so your weight is steady but you then decide you want to lose 10 kg so you lower your intake for a while you can't go back to eating 2000 kcal/day again because a body that's 10 kg lighter burns fewer calories. So maybe you need 1950, or 1900. It all depends on a person's needs.

If you cut calories without regard for any other factors you will not just lose fat, you will lose lean muscle tissue, this loss of muscle is a major factor in the slower metabolism and the lower calorie needs. Larger calorie deficits equals increased amounts of muscle loss.

Maintaining muscle is a big factor in being able to maintain steady losses of fat over time. Large deficits to loose fat quickly are not sustainable.

If you cut calories without regard for any other factors you will not just lose fat, you will lose lean muscle tissue, this loss of muscle is a major factor in the slower metabolism and the lower calorie needs. Larger calorie deficits equals increased amounts of muscle loss.

Maintaining muscle is a big factor in being able to maintain steady losses of fat over time. Large deficits to loose fat quickly are not sustainable.
Excellent advice!

I believe I lost more muscle than I needed to when doing my big weight loss. It was due to a very low calorie diet. If I had it to do over I would like to think I would not cut the calories so much and be more careful.

I don't really believe in the calorie in calorie out theory.
It has never proven true to me.

Back