Calorie Stumped!!!

Someone Help Me! Im 29 year old female with 41% muscle mass and 14% body fat weight is 148, height 5ft 7in. How many calories do I need to eat? Im holding water like crazy! 58%! My Dr. thinks Im starving my body and wants me to eat 3,700 calories to feed my muscle. Then I should lose the water.My stomach is a squishy water holder. I've had two kids youngest is 2. I compleated Jillian Micheals Body revelotion. I didn't follow diet. Im a healthy eater,organics veggies and Im eating 1,400 -2000 calories a day. I have been gaining weight at about half a pound a week, the scale only goes up. I was 136 a year ago. Will I ever see it again? I work out 5 days a week. I would love to see muscle definition in my arms and see my abs. All this work and no payoff. Im not afraid of muscle bulk. My clothes don't fit. Im lost!!!! Any suggestions?

If you're legitimately 14% bodyfat at 148lb and can't see any muscle definition, then my suspicion is that you can't see results because you won't let yourself see results, not because they aren't there.

Well, for example, if you use the Schofield equation your BMR is 1479 and if you modify this for activity you could need up to 2500 cals for a busy training day so it looks to me that you are under eating, if anything.

I think you are being quite harsh on yourself and perhaps need to eat a bit more and ensure you are getting enough protein.

Thank you for some input. The high calorie thing is kinda foreign to me. I will give it a good try at eating more! So my Doctor isn't crazy? She did say I have 11lbs excess water. What is the best way to tackle that?

14% BF is crazy low for a woman! I agree with Ryan and Wardy -- if it truly is that low, you definitely should see results. And, I also think you are not eating nearly enough for working out 5 days a week - your body is probably holding on to every calorie you eat, not knowing when it might get food again!! There are several online calculators you can use to find out where you should be calorie-wise, you can also use programs like FitDay or LiveStrong to keep track of what you are eating and see where you need to get more nutrients. Good luck!

Alternate cardio and strength! If you don't let your muscles rest after every workout 24 hours then will not get anymore any benefits!
A healthy diet is a 2000 calorie diet! When your body stops reacting just increase your calorie intake for a while then get back to the normal 2000
Also you may go do a check up for your thyroid and see if all is ok

Back