Weight-Loss Calorie counting at Dinner

Weight-Loss

DallyB

Hi. So with my weight loss journey I've been dieting and exercising and I've come to terms with the fact that I should count calories. For breakfast and lunch, since I'm cooking for one person, it's easy to know how many calories are in my food, but for dinner, I eat with my family and what they cook. I have no idea how many calories are in my dinner. I am controlling my portions, but still no clue on calorie amounts. Should I play it safe and just log it as 1000 calories? I've been exercising everyday so I have wiggle room for extra calories.

You could try to do a guesstimate with one of the many apps available. You would be amazed at what is there. I use My Fitness Pal. Others use Chronometer. If I think I have found a meal close to what I have eaten I save it. It's worth trying, but if 1000 for dinner has you still losing then you may not have to bother.

Thank you! I swim everyday for around 2-4 hours so I always have a build up of calories I can eat. I start with 1600 calories that I'm allowed and after breakfast and lunch, and my exercise, I have about the same amount available for dinner

Another possibility is to ask about the ingredients that go into the meal, add them up to get the total calories, then divide based on how large a part of the total you ate. It´s a bit of work but it might be worth doing at least a couple of times to get a rough idea for future guesstimates.

Back