Calling all vegans! :)

Totty

Hello!

I just wondered if there are any other vegans on the board. I've only been following a vegan diet for about 4 to 5 weeks now (I've been a vegetarian since I was a child and I'm 21 now). I was just wondering what kind of things do you eat? That might not be worded in the best way, as I'm sure you get asked "what do you eat?" like I do alllllllll the time! lol :) It just makes me laugh though.

I'm struggling a little to get creative. Plus, I don't think I can stomach one more jam sandwich for diner! lol I did buy some vegan cheese .. but that story does not have a happy ending! :)

T.

A fellow Veglover!

Hi Totty,

I consider my own lifestyle just *shy* of veganism. I've been a vegetarian for three years, even though I grew up almost solely on chicken and beef - My family's favorites.

During this change I not only shed my diet of animals, I also took out all dairy and egg intake.

I only fall short due to the occasional exception I make when, for example, a friend makes me a salad and unknowingly adds cheese. In these rare cases I choose not to fuss.

This is why I classify myself as vegetarian. Good to meet you! :)

Richie

When I was 19, I was a vegan but after 2 years I had to abandon the diet because I was doing a lot of travelling.
But I was a vegan for 2 years with no problems except for the first month when I experienced not being quite myself. I think my gut bacteria was doing a change over.

What I used to eat :
large haricot beans pressure cooked mixed with ratatouille and black pepper and rice.
chestnuts pressure cooked with sweetened soya milk delicious.
marmite sandwiches
lentil and crushed walnut or peanut sandwiches
lentil and barley soup
rice and baked bins with fried mushrooms and parsnips.
I hear that there is a meat that is made from fungus or mushroom. I forget the name now but is available from supermarkets. If you try it please tell what you think of the texture.

If you google vegan society you should be able to gather more ideas. The important tip I give is that the vegan diet makes excellent sense both economically and for space exploration if you think about it.
During those 2 years, I worked 8 hours a day on a farm doing lots of physical labour and it did keep me going in all weathers.

Last edited:
I actually am in the beginning stages of going vegan. I have developed weird food allergy reactions in the past year and so i am hoping that it is the processing of the food and the chemical/pesticides. but i hope this will be a great option for my health. i have already had a bit of trouble today on getting lunch and dinner prepared but i made it through with no cheating.

Its also hard to be vegan where i live cause there isnt really any restaurants or good vegan choices at the supermarket. but i hope to overcome these obstacles and start a very healthy lifestyle.

w00tw00t! GO VEGANISM!!!

I'm new to veganism aswell, the idea of not eating cakes at a party or drinking my starbucks lightmocha (replacing with soy chai latte these days) is like WOAHHHH!!! Hard for my brain to process! But honestly, you dont need that crap!! =)

If I find something usefull I'll share AND...check out the book 'Skinny bitch in the Kich' I heard its excellent. I love the SkinnyBitch series...!

World Foods

I've found the easiest foods to veganize are international foods...veggie cashew curry, falafel in pitas, bean and rice burritos with tofutti sour cream, and ratatouille are some of my favorites. :)

My old stand-by is Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice mix. It's vegan, so I always keep it around in case I'm not in the mood to cook one night. Bonus is that red beans and rice are very filling but relatively lo-cal. (Not that red beans and rice are all that international, but just a tip.)

Last edited:
My whole family has been vegan for about three years now. At this point it isn't weird - we are used to it.

We eat all sorts of things - I can make a vegan version of almost anything. Some typical dinners around here include:

-Portobello mushroom burgers, sweet potato oven fries, and grilled veggies or cole slaw

-BBQ baked tofu, mashed potatoes, sauteed mixed greens, salad

-Peanut butter noodles and veggies

-Baked potatoes/sweet potatoes and salad with some sort of protein in it

-Sauteed veggies and tofu/beans over rice

-Faux crab cakes (made with seitan and tempeh), salad, and roasted potatoes

We eat a lot of different meals and seldom get bored. Experimentation + vegan substitutes for animal products have really made things interesting in our kitchen.

It would take me hours to post the huge variety that you can have as a vegan. However, after you transition is better to eat a whole foods plant based diet.

Back