Bullying at the gym? Have you ever came across people like this?

Ebaz, from what I understand is that Planet Fitness is very hypocrital in that they are extremely judgemental against anybody who has a reasonable amount of muscle, I have a lot of online friends who have had very bad experiences with this chain.

I have known a few people who are extremely active and lift weights frequently at our local YMCA and they said that as well. But those people tend to be the type who grunt, drop the weights loudly, and carry around gallons of water, and also don't tend to clean their machines that they use at the Y.

But I can see where there might be judgment towards someone who is just ripped and wants to work out at a planet fitness. They do a lot of promoting around "We aren't those guys" so sometimes people might look at anyone who is already in shape and give them a glare. In my town (which is very small) everyone seems to be pretty positive. Even the big muscle guys that lift there seem to be accepted equally. Sometimes I even see them helping people. Also, I've never been in shape enough to know if that bias exists..

but I do know that is a great place to go where if you have no idea about fitness or a very far road to travel, its a great place to fit in. Especially cause most of the branches are HUGE and you don't have to worry that someone might be watching you use a piece of equipment entirely wrong.

The other thing I've heard is people who are THAT serious about weight lifting don't tend to like planet fitness because (at least my location) is overridden with cardio. There is about 1/3 of the gym that is weight machines, 2/3 that is cardio machines. Since it lacks that primary focus, a lot of weight lifters aren't typically interested.

The best defense that I can give PF, is that I think there are a lot of places where someone who is really fit can work out the way they want and feel good about it. There aren't really any gyms that someone who is extremely overweight or has no idea how to start including fitness in their life would feel comfortable in. PF gives them a place where they don't think they will be laughed or stared at.

I think you're completely right about PF. My guy friend is a body builder and he uses huge amounts of weights when he works out so he goes to a small gym that is mainly for guys and has all the big weights and machines for his workouts. He used to go to PF but they didn't have what he needed which I can completely understand. I can't see him coming to my gym because he'd be bored with the smaller weights and machines. PF isn't for everyone but for beginners or people just looking for a place to get active/healthy than it's the perfect place. I have a fit body i'd say but I still go to PF because it has all the machines I like and it's perfect for my needs. I feel comfortable there. I'm not saying it's for everyone but it's a great place for someone to go to if they need help getting started with a workout plan or a place no one will judge them. As long as you're working out it doesn't matter where you're doing it.

Sorry to hear you were getting bullied.

I would advise one of the specialty gyms for heavier people. There will be less judgment there.

The reality though is that humans judge each other. Those women judge you for being overweight. You judge them for being bitchy/judgy. I internally judge plenty of people at the gym (especially back in University). I'm sure plenty of people judged me. We're a cruel species. The fact that they said it out loud sucks. But what are you going to do about it? You should stand up for yourself. It will both stop the behaviour and make you feel better about yourself. Letting people bully you as an adult is going to cause you problems in other walks of life too. Learn to get desensitized to some of the words people say, and for the words that are especially harsh and cannot be let go, be assertive (not aggressive) and stand up for yourself.

Good luck.

I'm very sad when I read this stories because I see again and again that a lot of people really don't have any respect to the other ones and are simply inpolite too :eek::( I think that they also really don't understand what's it like to overweighted and to loose all that kilos, how a difficult work it is and how much strong will you need to achieve this goal... I think that iverweighted people who really work in the gym are worse a simple respect at least! :confused:
I also know about that unpleasant people who like to make fun from the newbies who come to the gym at the first time and don't know exactly how to use the machines like for example :confused: It's just stupid I think everybody starts from smth so what's funny in this at all? :ack2:
I send the great positive vibes to those who still continue their trainings even in such cases as describes the topic starter, you're the best and will achieve your goal definetely! :beerchug:

For me I wouldnt bother what other people think about me, but ofcourse sometimes we cannot avoid to get disappointed.

When I first went to the gym was because i was to gain a little weight and shape up.
Now I am getting old, I suddenly gain weight, even how much I cut down sweets and calories :(

PS. Just new here :)

Can you report her? This would not be tolerated in my gym at all, and my gym is mostly bodybuilders and powerlifters.

There is absolutely no excuse for it. We are all there for a reason and we all have our own goals.

I really admire you for pushing on through that!

Yes there is skinny girls that go to the gym .I use to go to the gym and most people would look at me and it would put me off ,so I decided to buy an ipod shuffle 40EUROS and listen to the TV that is on the machine to stop being so paranoid. I think..Don't look at them just be true to yourself ,your right The gym is for people trying to loose some weight ,I like to wear a baggy T-shirt and some comfortable sneakers.

Hope this helps :)

Ebaz, from what I understand is that Planet Fitness is very hypocrital in that they are extremely judgemental against anybody who has a reasonable amount of muscle, I have a lot of online friends who have had very bad experiences with this chain.

Yeah, we don't want to pre-judge people. Anyway, I started at Planet Fitness a few days ago - but I have mixed feelings about the "anti-bullying" emphasis. I mean, on one hand "being mean" is bad - but also it gives the impression that "softness" is being endorsed.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the company's motive is totally being nice. It's marketed toward what society says is overweight people - so naturally, the customers want to go to a friendly atmosphere.

If you keep it for yourself, just be a low profile, until they see a good result on you.

Work hard in silence and let your Success make the noise! :)

Back