Bowflex

Well, I am looking at investing in a cable machine of some sort as I already have a squat rack, and a weight bench, and dumbells and all that good stuff. but no access to a cable machine. So anyways I have been eyeing up the bowflex, looks like it would work pretty good. has anyone ever tried one, and what do you think of it. am i better off with just a normal cable machine?

Can't you do most excersises already with what you have? I'd consider buying more weights for the stuff you have before making a huge purchase such as buying a bowflex would be.

Of the cable machines, the bowflex is pretty good. However, with the kind of money it cost, I'd buy an adjustable back extension/glute-ham raise machine.

If you're squat rack doesn't have a dip/chin attachement, then I'd get one of those too.

I have a Bowflex Sport and absolutely love it!! I don't know how much checking into bf you've done but the Sport is the closest in relation to their top of the line model, the Ultimate XTLU...and it's less than half the cost. I got mine brand new for bout $850. I've been using it for about two months now and can definetly tell a difference. I'm thinking of complimenting it with their select tech dumbells just to switch it up a bit.

Pulleys or Bowflex are comparable to free weights, sometimes a little better and sometime almost as good. Bowflex resistance is comparable to pulleys, but slightly different, like stretching a giant rubber band.

Close enough that i couldn't decide and have both pulleys and Bow and don't use free weights much anymore. Nice thing with the Bow is that you can go to failure without a spotter, and can just slowly let go of the handles without danger or effort.

Last edited:
I think it is personal preference, i've tried the crossbow(bowflex clone) and did not care for it all, you cannot get full extentions on pulleys, at least with my machine. Free weights are just so nicer to use rather than having to setup your machine for each and every lift.

how about this from Powertec

Back