Bootcamp Beginnings!

Hello all,

I just joined a BootCamp gym. The location is in Chino, CA. Thus far it is kicking my butt. After having a baby I was reluctant to begin working out...I don't feel as if though my stamina is as strong as the other members of the gym. When we do running routines I am one of the last to finish. I am about 10 pounds over weight and trying my best to at least keep up with others and do the motions without stopping. Slowly I'm sure I can get there. If anyone has had a similar experience comment on this thread and let me know your thoughts and suggestions. I enjoy the workouts and I hope I can get stronger and build my stamina so that I at least can keep up with others. I hope to soon loose the extra ten pounds from baby weight.

Hi, navaog. I'm afraid I can't relate to having popped out a child, but I do know what it's like to train somewhere where everyone else is ahead of you -- in fact I recently changed gyms, and while I was one of the top dogs at my old gym I'm pretty much a toddler at this new gym. Use everyone else's experience and fitness to drive your competitive side, but don't beat yourself up when they outperform you -- just use it as mental fuel for next time. And of course, play it safe. Like I said, use everyone else's 1up status as fuel, but don't push yourself into an injury while you're at it.

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the kinds of activities you get up to in bootcamp :)

Hey

I was really fat and unfit at the start of Spring and joined some high-impact aerobics classes. Was definitely the odd-one-out in them. Now a few months later I've shed the flab and I've started getting good fitness, strength and endurance. Stick with it, you'll improve in much less time than you think.

One tip: don't compare yourself against others in the class. By all means make friends with them, and use them and their fitness as motivation, both to turn-up and to train, but their fitness is irrelevant to yours. Find your own personal goals. What exercises do you feel weakest doing? How can you improve each exercise? At what point in the session do you start to feel fatigued?

You'll notice as the weeks go by you'll feel that bit stronger, have that bit more endurance.

Keep an eye on the diet and nutrition too.

Back