Body weight exercise routine for general physical conditioning

Hi,

I have suffered from chronic neck and back pain for many years. I've seen several doctors, physios, chiros etc, but none have been able to help me. In the end my frustrated doctor just said "it was my cross to carry".

I would like some help with a body weight work out regime that will help me improve my general physical conditioning. The reason I say bodyweight is because I can't really afford to go to a gym. Once I'm comfortable with my routine I can then move on to something more challenging.

Things to be aware of:

1) I am 38 years old, 6'3" and about 180 pounds. The stats might not look bad but the last time I did some body fat analysis I was around the 25% mark! I don't show it but I know I have a lot of fat around my stomach area

2) I tried running but ended up developing achilles tendonitis, so running is not an option

3) I can't just go "hard" and do several push ups or pull ups, or some other strength exercise. I developed severe neck pain that lasted two weeks the last time I did this. Any exercises I do, I will need to build up gradually

4) My diet is generally good. I eat a lot of greens but do indulge in the odd bit of junk food on a daily basis. I can cut the junk food out if I commit myself

5) I don't have access to any exercise equipment.

Thanks

Exercises are challenging to execute if you aren't acquainted with the equipment. so basic needs are about your options.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not need to 'go hard' with bodyweight exercises, and as long as you follow a principle of progressive overload, and gradually move on from easy, to harder and harder variations of common bodyweight exercises (these are know as bodyweight progressions), your body will adapt.

well i think the workouts are complicated to perform if you aren't familiar with the devices. so primary needs are about your choices.

1. Bodyweight (or pistol) Squats. 3 sets of as many reps as possible.
  2. Pull-ups. 3 sets of as many reps as possible.
  3. Push-ups. 3 sets of as many reps as possible.
  4. Handstand Push-ups (or holds) 3 sets of as many reps as possible.
  5. Plank. 3 sets of at least 20 seconds. (Indian workouts)

Back