Back injury advice- how to start exercising

4 years ago I injured my lower back. I was unable to move properly for over a month it was so bad. Once I was able to move around again though my doctors refused to take it seriously blaming my weight. So I have got myself sorted, dropped four stones and a few weeks ago went back to the doctors because my back is still causing me day to day problems. The doctor is finally referring me for physiotherapy but she also said to start pilates to strengthen my core. Exercise is a new world for me the last time I formally exercised I was a teenager so 15 years ago!

I have now joined the gym and had my first pilates session last night. I was very proud of myself! I kept up with everyone until the final exercise (bend over and reach for toes) when my back just gave. So painful a real ripping/tearing sensation I have not felt in ages. (also crying out in pain in a room full of people is just slightly embarrassing!) I stood there like a lemon rubbing my back while everyone finished and then limped out of the class. Today it feels like someone has stuck a knife in my spine the pain is so sharp. While the pain in my stomach muscles is a pleasant ache my back is just pain! Still I have had this before and I know it will go away over the next few weeks as long as I keep moving.

I have my gym induction on Saturday where they are going to show me back safe ways of using the gym equipment. I am also planning on swimming and joining the aerobics classes and maybe Zumba as it looks fun!

Any advice on how to progress from here? I know I need to strengthen my back muscles to try to help my back pain but I am on the verge of putting my back out again here! My plan to strengthen my body but I need ensure my back to be in physically good enough shape that I can go to work everyday!

I am wondering if I should give pilates a rest for a while and focus on more physical activities ie swimming, aerobics may help me strengthen my core slightly more before returning to pilates?

Def give pilates a rest and try going to a chiropractor. They really know what's best for your back. You don't want to permanently damage it :/

Back