Appropriate Amount of Training?

Hi all. I'm 32 and have been fairly active all my life. I've exercised consistently in the gym for the last 13 years, but have stepped it up in the last 8 months or so. In doing this, I'm wondering if I've pushed it a little too hard and wonder if some advice from the group here could help.

In a typical week I:
- lift weights 3x for 45 min. each (full body, do main exercises like bench, shoulder press, chinups, squats, deadlifts etc. plus ab work, switching between 12, 8, 10, or 6 reps per set every few months)
- do cardio 3 x (jog for 40 minutes at a fairly quick pace inside or on treadmill, spin class at gym, play basketball or football depending on season). I will also do minor bouts of cardio/abs/stretching here and there if I have free time.

I work an office job but have been helping out building my house so I'll do manual labour 1-2 x a week (usually on my sole day off from the gym). I also shovel snow and do lawn work when needed. My diet is good, not great, but has improved.

I've found that my right knee is starting to ache and my wonky lower back (from being a desk jockey) is sore more often than it used to be. Random aches will often come and go, ex. in my calf, hamstring, even elbow. Some of this is from a noticeable event, ex. shovel a ton of snow and back is sore, do heavy deadlifts, bang self on basketball court etc. But a lot seems like wear and tear catching up to me.

Am I over-training, or not training smart? I try to get massages, ice when sore, stretch but I still feel a little worn down. I'll see a doc for physio when something's really bad but once it feels better the other aches come back (if they ever left) once I step it up at the gym/cardio. Frustrating thing is my cardio has gotten better, I've lowered my body fat, but I'm trying to make progress in gym, ex. lift more on squat/deadlift, and I don't want to push these minor injuries and aches too much or I'll make them worse. Am I trying to have it all - great cardio, added strenth and endurance - when it's not really possible to the level I want with my age and genetics (5'10, 183, fairly in shape and athletic but not super cut or ultra-defined 6 pack, bench 225x8, deadlift 275, only squat 225 about 6, chinups 12 at a time)?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I guess I'm most concerned about my knee - I can feel a bit of painful pressure when I deep squat with heavy weights (pretty sure my form is right and I try to warm up) and at times after a run it will swell up, or just randomly it will ache, but that knee has never been 100% alright for about 10 years, though it has never prevented me from playing sports. More details available but don't want to write too much at once.

Strangely enough when I read the 'exercises like bench, shoulder press, chinups, squats, deadlifts etc. plus ab work' part I instantly thought, back issues. Must come from being an old fart who's used to seeing focus on abs meaning you are strengthening one part of your core without the rest. All over and even are very different and that could easily be your issue here. Much of your training is compound, which I approve of whole heartedly, but you have added a singular batch of isolation which throws balance out of the window.
It could be good to strap up your knees or use sleeves/supports during the deepest of squats. I don't view these as a permanent fix, but they are great for giving you support while you build up strength in tendons ligaments etc. I know you are saying form is good but try taking some video of yourself and really watch the alignment of your feet and knees, if the knees wander off line that will be your pain point. The most seasoned of us get it wrong and the worst thing is we often don't think we could be doing so because we are so seasoned, yes I have been there.
Warm up EVERY time. I cannot emphasis this enough, there wasn't a glowing red font that burns this into your mind. This is the most common and stupid mistake many make and one of the biggest causes of damage.
Stretch well after every workout. I do some really stupid things in my training because I am a little mentally unstable, I have a list of injuries from time doing dangerous sports that should prevent me walking let alone training. A huge part of why I don't damage myself as much as I deserve is my focus on mobility and flexibility, stretched muscles clear toxins after training and work far more effectively.

You could do all of the above and still have pain occasionally of course. That is part of training, the trick is minimising these occurrences and that is easier said than done. By definition training is damage, the more intense the training the closer to injury you are. I try keeping my training as close to this point as I can so every now and then I go too far.
Hopefully this is useful. If you think I've missed the point, please redirect me.

Strangely enough when I read the 'exercises like bench, shoulder press, chinups, squats, deadlifts etc. plus ab work' part I instantly thought, back issues. Must come from being an old fart who's used to seeing focus on abs meaning you are strengthening one part of your core without the rest. All over and even are very different and that could easily be your issue here. .

I think you're right. I do core work but I've been slacking, can definitely do more. And stretching, somehow, needs to be increased as well. I work out at lunch so I have limited time, but even 3-5 minutes would make a difference, plus more stretching at home afterwards. Thanks

No problem. Please remember to be well warmed up to stretch, not just superficially, pulse raised and blood warming the muscles. We've all skipped this at times and made things worse.
I built my core up for heavier lifting so have the less aesthetic bulkier midsection that works. Always important to keep priorities in mind, I don't worry too much about being pretty, but most do.

Back