Advice on moving from machines to free weights!

I'm very new to bodybuilding, just started going to the gym 2 weeks ago. I recently looked around on the internet about free weights vs machines because I was curious as to what the difference is and then felt like a complete idiot because almost everyone said free weights are better since they work more muscles and will provide quicker results. So I really need some advice on free weight exercises to switch to from the machine routine I've been doing.

Here's the routine if needed:
M: Leg Day: Glute, Hip abduction, Hip adduction, calves, seated leg press, seated leg curl
T: Cardio: running
W: Ab Day: abdominal twist (machine that rotates), abdominal (err hard to describe but you just sit on the machine and push forward), abs bench, back extensions
R: cardio: running
Friday: arms/ shoulder day: rear deltoid, pectoral fly, pull down, chest press, row, shoulder press

I did a free weight exercise for my forearms where I lifted a 20 lb bar with my wrists and I'm still sore, much more than the machines.. Which is what got me looking into this topic. I did 4 sets of 12 on all machines listed if that information is needed. I'm 5'9" and 134 lbs so pretty skinny and I'm trying to gain muscle. So all advice is greatly appreciated!!

It's not stupid to use the machines since you've only been going 2 weeks.

The 5x5 workout is simple and good. I vaguely use it 5+ years after starting with it. I take a lot of long breaks and still use machines to warm up to free weights again.

Ab machines kind of suck and you'll find your core toned just by squats, deadlifts and cardio imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back