advice on getting started

Hi guys & gals, just joined the forum and I'm about to start a fitness program, once I get the equipment I need and have worked out what it's going to include. I'm 29 and slim and reasonably fit. My goals are:

1. Improve all round fitness level
2. Strengthen shoulder/back/abs to help improve posture and reduce the tendency to get a sore back
3. Impove muscle tone and mass with upper body focus - ie. I want a 6pack and bigger upper body muscles
4. More energy and vitality
5. IT HAS TO BE FUN & INTERESTING!

I'd like to do 3 days a week weights and 3 days a week varied cardio - running, cycling, swimming, aerobics, etc. So now for my questions:

1. what equipment should I get?

I'm looking at a basic weights bench with a bench press, leg curls/extensions and some other weights. Is this a good idea?

2. can anyone recommend some good aerobics DVDs?

3. Any other tips you have would be great ;)

Thanks for reading :) Sorry it's so long!

The bench I'm looking at is found at and it is this one:

Bench Press $149. Adjustable backrest - Incline & Flat. Leg extension/leg curls.

Sorry I can't link it directly due to the way the site is set up. It's nothing special, just a good price, I was going to consider used but most of them aren't any cheaper!

Anyway, I don't want to just go out and buy as a newbie, then learn some more and realise it wasn't a good choice! :rolleyes: :mad:

Back