A question about skin after losing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigel

Hello. I'd like to know if I'll have a serious case of loose/excess skin if I keep losing weight. I've lost a lot after more than a year of hellish diets and regular exercise, but someone recently brought this up to me and I'm having second thoughts now.

Some of you might feel like punching me in the face for saying this, but I don't really see the point of working to lose weight if I'll just remain hideous anyway. Why should I keep torturing myself if it won't amount to anything? I might as well go back to the happy reality of junk food and a guaranteed death at 40-50 years old.

I don't know if it matters but I'm currently 253lbs/115kg and my height is 6'9.5"/207cm.

...I don't know if it matters but I'm currently 253lbs/115kg and my height is 6'9.5"/207cm.
your age matters more. from your statement about an early death, i take it you are currently less than 40? if so, then yes, you are wrong in your assumption. at your age you will likely not notice anything like you have described. wait until you are in your 60's and you have a better case for it. here is a picture of my calf about 6 months ago after the major part of my weight loss of ~45 lbs at this point...

IMG_E3124.jpg]

today this leg looks quite normal when i do the same thing in merely turning my ankle out a bit. i lost a similar amount of weight once before when i was ~40 years old and never noticed this, but at 65 this time, i did notice a lag in how the elasticity of my skin responded. it is still happening, but this time, much slower.

no, i don't feel like punching anyone, ...and i used to play ice hockey. but you do need to stop believing everything you hear. if one thing these past two years have taught me ... liars come in all shapes, sizes, unusual hair colors and elected offices.

good luck.

here you go... same area 6 months later... i really had to try hard to even get this much wrinkling. my arms are still showing a bit more as is my chin still a bit, but it is getting markedly better over time...

IMG_5369.JPG

my gut is probably the worst area as i am still losing weight there. there certainly won't be any Speedo's in my future for some time, but then, i'm very much ok with that ... :)

My stomach area is the worst so far and I've lost about 120 pounds since my heaviest and have a few more to go. I have some in the inner thighs, armpit areas, and chin too. The chin is not too bad. There's no wrinkling there, it's just loose. The stomach I hope will get better with more weight loss. I'm 40. I try to drink a lot of water. The point for me is my health and how I feel. I don't want to die early and experience all the terrible conditions that would develop from being overweight. I suppose I could get surgery if it's really bothersome.

your age matters more. from your statement about an early death, i take it you are currently less than 40? if so, then yes, you are wrong in your assumption. at your age you will likely not notice anything like you have described. wait until you are in your 60's and you have a better case for it. here is a picture of my calf about 6 months ago after the major part of my weight loss of ~45 lbs at this point...

View attachment 28596]

today this leg looks quite normal when i do the same thing in merely turning my ankle out a bit. i lost a similar amount of weight once before when i was ~40 years old and never noticed this, but at 65 this time, i did notice a lag in how the elasticity of my skin responded. it is still happening, but this time, much slower.

no, i don't feel like punching anyone, ...and i used to play ice hockey. but you do need to stop believing everything you hear. if one thing these past two years have taught me ... liars come in all shapes, sizes, unusual hair colors and elected offices.

good luck.
I'm 22 years old. So I can just keep doing what I've been doing and it'll get better eventually? I won't have any major problems with my skin after that? Does the fact that I've been overweight since my early teens change anything? Sorry if I'm being annoying but I really don't want to suffer the consequences of my past mistakes for the rest of my life.

I want to do this the "healthy" way like losing weight at a moderate pace, no smoking, proper nutrition and all that but I'm worried it won't be enough. What if I end up needing surgery to remove the excess skin? People would still treat me like trash and I'd remain the tall fat kid no matter how much effort I put into changing myself.

another way to look at it... skin cells are just about the fastest replaced cells in your body. every few weeks, just about all your skin cells will be replaced. eventually you just start replacing less and less.

My stomach area is the worst so far and I've lost about 120 pounds since my heaviest and have a few more to go. I have some in the inner thighs, armpit areas, and chin too. The chin is not too bad. There's no wrinkling there, it's just loose. The stomach I hope will get better with more weight loss. I'm 40. I try to drink a lot of water. The point for me is my health and how I feel. I don't want to die early and experience all the terrible conditions that would develop from being overweight. I suppose I could get surgery if it's really bothersome.
My stomach area is the worst part as well. I'll probably have some on my arms and legs too but I can easily hide those if I have to. I drink about 4 liters of water per day. I hope I won't need surgery.

I don't really care about the health aspect of losing weight. Maybe it's because I'm too young and I haven't had a wake up call yet, or I have my priorities messed up. The truth is that I'm not really doing this for myself, or at least not entirely. The global wave of acceptance hasn't really affected my country and anyone even remotely close to being fat is still considered a lesser person here. I'm tired of bad jokes at my expense and I just want to be "normal" again.

I'm fully aware that trying to change for others instead of myself is not healthy at all, but it is what it is.

My stomach area is the worst part as well. I'll probably have some on my arms and legs too but I can easily hide those if I have to. I drink about 4 liters of water per day. I hope I won't need surgery.

I don't really care about the health aspect of losing weight. Maybe it's because I'm too young and I haven't had a wake up call yet, or I have my priorities messed up. The truth is that I'm not really doing this for myself, or at least not entirely. The global wave of acceptance hasn't really affected my country and anyone even remotely close to being fat is still considered a lesser person here. I'm tired of bad jokes at my expense and I just want to be "normal" again.

I'm fully aware that trying to change for others instead of myself is not healthy at all, but it is what it is.

Fair enough. Sorry to hear. The jokes and poor treatment can certainly have a further negative effect on your well-being. For what it’s worth, losing the weight and therefore improving your health means having a positive impact on others around you too.

i probably should have brought this up sooner. one year ago i weighed ~215 lbs and i don't think i had a single ripple in my skin anywhere on my body. this morning the scale read 168 lbs. and if i hold up my arm and turn my wrist out, i see some little tiny wrinkles still there... better than 6 months ago as i said, but yeah... at my age it's going to take a bit longer.

now ask me if i'd want my old weight and nice tight skin back. oh yeah, and along with it, an A1C level heading toward being prediabetic and the joint pain from arthritis that has diminished in concert with my weight loss. ...go ahead, ask me.

Hi Rigel, welcome to the forum! I’m on the start of my weight loss journey, and worried about loose skin too. I have a hundred pounds to lose, and just turned 50, so there is a definite possibility.

The problem with staying overweight until you die in your 40s and 50s is twofold:

1. You will never know what good health and physical fitness feels like. You will always be inactive and feel and look like crap. Your health will decline and you will not enjoy your 20s 30s and 40s like you could have. Your weight, poor eating habits, and lack of physical activity would have had a profound effect on your quality of life.

2. It’s hard to value your health in your 20s. You haven’t started to lose it yet! We don’t value things until they start to go, it’s human nature. It’s also easy to discount the value of “old age” and see it as not fulfilling or worthwhile. As you get older, you see health is everything. Trust me, when you are 30 or 40 or even 50, you won’t be ready to die yet, but rather want to set your self up to have a fulfilling long and healthy life as possible.

Here’s what I think. You are in the best position NOW, today, to set yourself up for success and have your skin look the way you would like it to in the future. Right now. If you wait 6 months or 6 years more, your skin will have less of a chance of emerging unscathed. Do it now! You will never have a better chance at the result you want than you do RIGHT NOW.

I think you have a very good chance at having no skin problems right out of the gate, but I’ve heard and seen people who are young and start out with lose skin find that after a year or a few years, the extra skin goes away. Not one has said to themselves, I should have stayed fat. Instead, they say they wish they had started sooner.

Change your focus a bit. You are in this for the long haul. Be one of the rare ones who can learn from others! Are you really going to let poor eating and exercise habits rob you of your life? Because of a fear of lose skin? And there are lots of things you can do to manage how that skin looks at the end — proper hydration, nutritious diet, lots of moisturizer—be kind to yourself! You are a whole worthwhile person no matter what the skin you are in. And make your changes be permanent. The weight comes back if you “diet”.

What’s the worst that can happen? Do the work, lose the weight, and have a look see. It will be easy enough to gain back all the weight of you change your mind. ;)

Sorry for the rant. But I felt like you did when I was in my 20s and know a lot of people who thought that way as well. I followed your path, and was overweight in my 20s 30s and 40s. But here I am at 50, not ready to die, and eager to live the best I can for however long I have left. And here I am, making the changes I should have made 30 years ago.

Do it now. It will be better for so many reasons.

Oh, and $&@# people and what they think, the only opinion that counts here is yours. When I see someone with loose skin, I see achievement.

Hi there! Yes, if you've been overweight, especially for a long period of time, and lose a large amount of weight, you will likely have loose and possibly saggy skin. Your best bet is to lose weight at a safe rate (1-2lbs per week), keep hydrated, and take good care of your skin. Unfortunately, it is a consequence of weight loss, but I'd rather have loose skin on a fit body than loose skin filled up with excess fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back