A New Begining

Botud

Hello, obviously I'm new here and honestly could use a little help. I'll try to keep the background brief so as not to waste ya all's time.

I'm a 33 year old male, I don't know my body fat percentage... It was last measured in college at somewhere around 70% more or less? But that was in 2007 or 2008, I can't remember... I do know that I have been sedentary for a long time, and that has left me obese. I'm about 5'7" (sometimes 5'8" don't know why it seems to vary so much) and 250 lbs. (now)
It's built up over more than a decade of neglect (depression is a hell of a thing) but recently (about a month ago) I decided that I wanted to get a little more healthy, and to that end I devised a two pronged attack that I thought was realistic; Eat Better, and Be More Active.

1. Eat Better: Every week I now eat 4 salads for dinner (rarely ate them before, If ever.). To make it easier and more realistic, 2 salads would be "Hard Core" and two would be "1/2 salads". The hard core ones consist of Greens (kinda what ever is on sale or looks good(lately it's been "super greens")), Mung bean sprouts (because I heard somewhere they were pretty good for you... and they add variety), carrots, radishes, and optionally I add broccoli, and either a small amount of onion or bell pepper. No dressing (I hate vinegar and mayonnaise, which form the base of like 90% of most dressings I have found). On the side of the salad and to give myself a kinda treat, I also have a soft boiled egg sprinkled with (probably too much) creole seasoning, and a minuscule amount of granulated garlic (not kidding, barely a touch). Half salads are basically the same with the exception that I remove the egg, trim the portion down to between 1/2 to 2/3rds and add a small portion of something I had left over (one week I had skirt steak fajitas, so i tossed in a few strips of steak). On 2 "no salad" days, I trim down the portions the best I can (not really all that good at guessing how much is a serving, but I'm doin my best) and reserve my left overs/unused portions for future half days. The last is a cheat day, what ever the hell I want in what ever portion I can manage (this is usually reserved for the day I visit my Mom or family who are way to good at making "terrible for me" good food!) I still try not to go wild on it, but I try harder not to worry about it as much as most days. Breakfast is usually frosted mini wheat and milk (yeah not the best but better than what it used to be) and once a week two strips of thick cut bacon halved and drained, and 2 scrambled eggs. I try damn hard not to snack, but if I do feel hungry enough to grab something I try to head off the cravings with a handful (6-8) of almonds (unsalted). And my vice... 3 Cherry Cokes a day, no more. I realize that I'll probably have to give it up at some point but... right now it helps keep me more on track to have them. And I try to have at least 1 glass/bottle of water in between each one. I also record what days I am doing or have done "salad days" on my calendar to help keep track of what and when. Ultimately I don't count calories, but I do try to be mindful of how much I take in.

2. Be More Active: Nebulous as always. But having failed MANY times before I had a thought, "It took me 10 years to get here. Day by day. I'll have to take it day by day till I can maintain better activity!" To that end, I started walking laps in my backyard. No stress, no real speed, just walk. The goal is; rain or shine, sick or feeling well, walk a minimum of 6000 steps, but aim for 10,000 steps a day. Most of the time I end up about 13k steps, but there are the occasional 15 or 17, and even one 20k!

Being unemployed and starting college in the fall, I've had plenty of time to just get up, go outside and walk for a while. I have to admit it's kinda nice to be out there with a head set on, listening to music and/or thinking.
For the last month, I've stuck to this routine. Walking an average of 13k steps a day (with a couple at 6.5 and a few 9s) and eating salads and cutting down on boxed/pre made food (bachelor chow) while outright killing my snacking habits. I have managed to lose 10 lbs and 3 inches off my waist! (lol just a little proud of that!)
I've even started "power walking" as many laps as I can (intro to cardio), I've tried jogging laps... but I barely last half a lap before I need to stop and rest a few seconds (my current track is about 270-280ish paces long)

I plan on keeping this up indefinitely or at least as much as I can. The only thing that never changes is that things never stop changing. OH, and as a side note; I have been avoiding weighing and measuring myself to prevent obsessing and preempt the "really? that's all?" sort of mentality. I'm trying to keep it to once a month so I can focus on the healthy habits I "GAIN" rather than the inches/lbs I "LOSE". Stay positive, right?

Ok, that's out of the way (man that was kinda long winded... sorry)
Now for the kinda weird part... I'm trans. I'm not on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy in case you were wondering) or anything yet, but it is in my plans. I honestly don't know how much that will affect my "workout routine" or even if I should mention it... but I figure it show's my "idealized body type" is a tad "left of center" for my gender.
Since I've managed to make it a full month on a clearly beneficial routine, I've been thinking about adding other "workouts" to "tone" and help burn fat in more targeted areas, but honestly I have no idea how much is too much, enough, or too little. I don't want to strain and hurt myself, but I'd like to keep my progress swift but manageable...ish, not to mention realistic for my current level of unfitness. I'd like a few outside opinions before I add anything as drastic as a "workout hour" or something. I have been thinking of adding some sort of squat or lunge routine, but again I have no idea what's even realistically doable for someone who's now at "one month off the couch" let alone if it would have the "desired effect" in the long run.

Sorry for the book above, I read the rundown of "Info we need to help you" and tried to hit everything, even the weird bits, in the hopes that I could get some Ideas on what to do from here, and I would also appreciate if anybody knows if more "feminine workout types" would have the same effect on a male body.

Thank you for your time and your patience
Botud

Hi, Botud & welcome to the forum. Congratulations on losing 10 lbs already & 3" off your waist. I think your approach to this is good. You can't spot reduce anywhere, but you can build muscle. I'll leave advice there to those who really know a lot more about it. I love walking & find it really helps me to relax & reduces stress. Do you think you could maybe reduce your cherry coke intake. Maybe replacing one a day with something lower in calories & sugar?
Do you identify as male or are you transitioning to female? I think this would help with targeting weights exercises. I would love to be stronger and I have lost a lot of my strength as I get older. Building muscle also boosts your metabolism.
This thread might be better off being moved to the diaries section. More people hang about there. If you would like it moved just say so.

Do you think you could maybe reduce your cherry coke intake. Maybe replacing one a day with something lower in calories & sugar?
Probably? I mean yeah i don't really need it but... it's a luxury that helps calm me down and keep the "I gave up everything" kinda attitude at bay...
Do you identify as male or are you transitioning to female? I think this would help with targeting weights exercises.
At the moment, I'm trying very hard not to get caught up in labels and whatnot... but I am aiming for "transitioning to female", that's the end goal at least. Heh, at the end of a pretty long road...
This thread might be better off being moved to the diaries section. More people hang about there. If you would like it moved just say so.
Um... I have no idea... I'm really not that good at online socialization... I posted it here because that's what I thought I was supposed to do... But if you think it should be moved I suppose I'm not adverse. I'm just hoping for help, the rest is somewhat irrelevant to me... unless I did something wrong. If so, not my intent.

Hi Botud and welcome to the forum! As long as you eat enough protein your meal ideas look good to me and walking is great exercise. If the cherry coke is sugarfree I wouldn't worry about, especially at first, but if it's the sugary kind switching to diet would be an easy way to cut out a small meal's worth of calories every day.

hormones or no hormones, basic exercise for general health will be the same. however with transitioning I assume you are looking for a more feminine appearance, if so, resistance training in the hypertrophy range may not be a good idea as your current hormones will allow for a greater increase in muscular size than what you may be looking to achieve.

Training in the strength range while in a calorie deficit should provide the biggest body recomp.

You cannot target specific areas for fat loss through exercise, your genetics and hormones determine where you gain and loose fat. A change in hormones may change the pattern of where your fat is stored but I would have to do a bit of research to be sure.

hormones or no hormones, basic exercise for general health will be the same. however with transitioning I assume you are looking for a more feminine appearance, if so, resistance training in the hypertrophy range may not be a good idea as your current hormones will allow for a greater increase in muscular size than what you may be looking to achieve.

Training in the strength range while in a calorie deficit should provide the biggest body recomp.

You cannot target specific areas for fat loss through exercise, your genetics and hormones determine where you gain and loose fat. A change in hormones may change the pattern of where your fat is stored but I would have to do a bit of research to be sure.
Yeah the truth is I have no clue about this stuff... hell i don't even know if it would be wise to do some of the 10 minute workouts you see online everyday... but thanks for the info it really does help

Back