A couple questions, Leg extension,plank,Lateral Raise et.c

TheUninvited

Question 1: In leg extension machine what is the proper way to lay your back while doing the exercise? is it like shoulders extend to the back with a slightly arch in the back or different?

Question 2:How do you breath in plank?Do you breath through the chest or through the belly ? and what ratio example 2 seconds inhale and 4 seconds exhale is good?

Question 3:what do you think at this Hollow Plank exercise is good ya?

Question 4: Lateral Raise , What if you can't do all the movement(motion) what do you do ?

Question 5: How to have a straight back? So when someone says in a workout tutorial , have a straight back what does it mean?

Does it mean rotating my hip back and make my abs tight so it becomes like a straight line?

A video would really much help better than words...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I had to remove the videos because of ads, sorry.

As for question 1, in the video you had posted he mentioned that you should maintain neutral spine, and I agree.

Question 2: If you are engaging your core muscles and abdominals, it would be pretty difficult to breathe through your belly, so breathing through your chest would be better here. And a 2 second inhale, 4 exhale should be good, but do what works best for you to be able to maintain proper positioning.

Question 3: I have never seen the plank done as a Hollow Plank. This is something that I would have to look into.

Question 4: What is the reason you can't do the whole motion?

Question 5: "Have a straight back" can be really confusing. You should be aiming for "neutral spine." Your spine has natural curves, so you should be aiming for a position that is maintaining those curves - not slouching, but not literally flattening your back (often achieved by rotating your pelvis "under," like a dog putting its tail between its legs.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I had to remove the videos because of ads, sorry.

As for question 1, in the video you had posted he mentioned that you should maintain neutral spine, and I agree.

Question 2: If you are engaging your core muscles and abdominals, it would be pretty difficult to breathe through your belly, so breathing through your chest would be better here. And a 2 second inhale, 4 exhale should be good, but do what works best for you to be able to maintain proper positioning.

Question 3: I have never seen the plank done as a Hollow Plank. This is something that I would have to look into.

Question 4: What is the reason you can't do the whole motion?

Question 5: "Have a straight back" can be really confusing. You should be aiming for "neutral spine." Your spine has natural curves, so you should be aiming for a position that is maintaining those curves - not slouching, but not literally flattening your back (often achieved by rotating your pelvis "under," like a dog putting its tail between its legs.
1.Any picture to show what is a neutral spine i do hear it a lot in videos but i don't really get it.
2.Thank you :)
4.Because i am weak :p

Thank you very much :D

Does this help with the neutral spine question?

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 9.10.52 PM.png

As for the range of motion question, if you don't have an injury preventing you from doing the whole range of motion, you should be starting with a weight that allows you to do the exercise in the full range. If you still can't, you may need to get it checked and/or work on the range of motion without any weight.

I still have to find more info on the Hollow Plank...

Back