20 minutes ofr HIIT?

I wonder how it will effect the results if the total time for a HIIT workout is reduced from 20 minutes, to say 15, or 10, or even 5?!

Some of us dont even have time for a 20 minute workout. I dont suppose the effect can really be judged without scientific experiment.

Considering it's important to get in a 5 minute warm-up and cool-down for HIIT, I don't think it would be effective at all.
Really? Not even 25 minutes to spare?? Geez... I feel bad for you.

its said if you're new to HIIT to keep it short like under 10 minutes because it can be so extreme then work your way up. personally i usually do a 5 minute warmup, 8-12 minutes of HIIT and a cool down and i'm done with that.

Guys I am a noob in HIIT... My current plan is posted in the "At Home" section. Think I should mix HIIT with my current plan? I dont do much cardio before my workout, since most of it is done in my school... But I was thinking of starting some jumprope and stuff as cardio before the workout... ANy help will be apreciated.

xander said:
I wonder how it will effect the results if the total time for a HIIT workout is reduced from 20 minutes, to say 15, or 10, or even 5?!

Some of us dont even have time for a 20 minute workout. I dont suppose the effect can really be judged without scientific experiment.

It would probably depend on the intensity involved.5 minutes of HIIT?Try the Tabata method in conjunction with running.Tabatas are 20 seconds work alternated with 10 seconds of rest, so sprint for 20 seconds, going all out, then jog at a slow pace to recover for 10 seconds.Repeat for the duration.

Taking myself as an example, the last time I timed myself in the 100 meter sprint, I was between 12-13 seconds, so I could probably get between 150 meters or so in 20 seconds.Keeping with the Tabata example, if I worked out for 5 minutes, that would be 10 150 meter sprints (or 1500 meters total) in a 5 minute period (assuming my times did not decrease too drastically due to fatigue).That is quite a bit of work to accomplish in 5 minutes.Add to that 5 minutes each for warm-up and cool down and you have a pretty intense workout which you can complete in 15 minutes total.Consider the amount of distance covered and the manner in which it was covered and it would appear to be a fairly productive workout.

Back