Workout routine help?

Hi all! I am a 23 year old female. 5'4" and 128-130 lbs. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some exercises and reps that work well for overall weight loss (Ideally I would be 110-115) as well as some that focus on lower body. I tend to carry all of my weight in my thighs (inner, mainly) and could use some major toning on my love handles and bottom. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Hi! Well first of all, you can't spot reduce, the weight will come off naturally wherever your body chooses in a way. Now the main thing that's a problem with most people trying to lose weight is diet, not exercise. I'd suggest finding your recommended caloric needs(you can do this just by searching it online) and cutting around 500 calories or so a day from your diet. Make sure it's something you can sustain though, most people, including myself many times, have a hard time losing weight because we pick such strict diets that after a couple weeks or so we break down and all of a sudden have a huge binge meal. In any case, consistency both in exercise and diet are the key to losing weight. You want to aim for around 1-2 pounds a week depending on how big you are, it's definitely possible to lose more, but you start to risk losing your lean muscle and other weight instead of fat, which gives you a much softer look.

As for a toning routine, if you go to the gym I'd suggest just hitting any sort of resistance machines 3 days a week for 3 sets of 12 reps. Routine is really up to you in general. If you want to burn more calories incorporate a higher intensity routine. Things I'd suggest would be to get your diet in check, this means cutting out sweets/fast foods/greasy foods and in general having a healthier and sustainable diet. Next incorporate some cardio, even just walking is a great way to burn up some calories, and its enjoyable. Right now I'm in finals week at college, so I put my notes on my phone and I've just been hopping on a stationary bike and doing some fairly unstrenuous biking while studying.

Create reasonable goals such as losing 10 pounds after 2 months, and then try to achieve them, drink plenty of water, in fact, it should be almost the only thing you drink. I'm not sure if you "party," I know most people around age 23 do in fact go out drinking from time to time, which can be alright, all in moderation. Just know alcohol does bad things for your body, slows your metabolism, slows protein synthesis, and gives you empty calories, around 80 in a shot a vodka, over the course of a night they could add up! But in any case, you can get some health benefits from a drink a night, but that would be only one drink a night for women, I believe two a night for men.

But in any case, it's all about commitment, for literal workout by workout routines you can check out this:

It can definitely help a beginner finding the routine which their body responds best to. Good luck with achieving your goals!

Thank you SO much for the reply! I will check out that website you mentioned. As far as diet, I have managed to cut about 7 pounds since Thanksgiving just from changing my caloric intake and food choices in general. It is refreshing to have found a balance that allows me to feel full and not deprived of just about everything and still lose weight. I find when I eat some of the non healthy choices I just feel like crap! Just not worth it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Back