Problem with push ups

Hi,

For some reason I've been having a problem with my push ups,I'm training a lot on them but it just doesn't improve so I wondered if I might be doing something wrong.

I've checked exactly how to do push ups correctly and obviously it's a lot harder then what I used to do.I'm currently doing 36 and my goal is to do 75.

my training routine is I do all the push ups I can until I simply go down and can't go up,then I immediately get up and do all the push ups I can before resting(which usually is like 6-7 push ups). Then I do another ab exercise and go back to the push up routine I mentioned above.I do that 3 times in a row without any rest.

I'm doing that routine 3-4 times a week and for about 4 months and my push ups just won't get better.

I guess I don't have the best genes,although I exercise a lot and I've been boxing for a few years I do have muscles but I'm not one of those huge dudes or anything like that.I just figured I'll exercise through it if it slows me down.Can it be linked?

Is there anything wrong that I'm doing in the routine? Can someone suggest a routine or a diet or something that might help to increase my push ups?

thanks in advance.

Firstly, it's not necessary to create the same topic three separate times. If people have an answer, they'll get to you.

Anyway, if you're plateauing, then you need to do something to increase the overload. Add some extra weight to yourself (put a dictionary on your back or something like that) and spend more time on the "down" phase. The down (or eccentric) phase of an exercise is where the most muscle damage - followed by repair and build-up - occurs.

Thanks a lot,I'll try that.

I posted it the second time because there were some spelling mistake and stuff and it didn't let me edit.
I posted for the third time because I thought I posted it in the wrong category.

Hey man ! I can do 75 pushups ! First thing that i see is that you don't have endurance training.If you practice your pushup routine for example mon,wed,friday...your normal trainings with sets should be on mon,fri and endurance training put at wed.What is endurance training ? That is pyramid training so i will write you one endurance training.You should combine pushups and dips coz they focus at same mucles.First you will start with pushup pyramid,you will do 1 pushup than rest 10 sec and so on till you fail down.After that you will rest 3 mins and do the same with dips and after that you will do the same but now together pushups and dips , so 1 push 1 dip 10 secs rest and so on ... This is very important if you want to increse your number in any excercise. All the best !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm stuck at 23-25 straight and then i do an extra set of pushups til exhaustion. Is that going to help at all or should I try this endurance training (I also add in pullups or dips in between rest).

Take the military pushup test give yourself two minutes to perform as many pushups can do .Perform 200 pushups on every odd day of the month. Resume your pushup routine after the three days of rest.

Back