protein need in order to lose minimun muscle?

hi , i need to lose about 45 pounds, my current weight is 230, how much protein do i need in order to not lose to much muscle?????? help please

help anybody????????????????

Hey gabriel, welcome!

If you are planning on running a caloric deficit in order to lose some weight, then chances are you will lose some muscle mass. But, if you take certain steps you should be able to minimize the amount of muscle loss. The 3 main things that you should do are:

1. Strength training
2. Eat an adequate amount of protein each day
3. Incorporate HIIT into your weekly schedule if possible

Strength training is absolutely necessary if you want to prevent some muscle loss while losing weight. A full body routine 3 days per week should be adequate for most people.

I should ask... What are your exercise and nutrition plans for losing weight?

As for how much protein you should have per day, I'll take a quote out of a great article here:

1 gram per pound of total body weight if you’re relatively lean
1 gram per pound of lean body mass if you’re overweight
1 gram per pound of goal body weight if you don’t know your lean body mass

Yes, this amount of protein is above the amount recommended by the RDA. Keep in mind though that the research that’s the basis for the RDA’s recommendation is antiquated by a few decades. In fact, if you’re in an energy deficit, protein requirements can actually go a bit higher than this. It’s one of the few things that’s in our control as far as muscle preservation while dieting goes. It also does some nifty things in terms of satiety and energy expenditure. In the case of a calorie deficit, 1 – 1.5 grams would be a suitable range for the above formulas. For anyone else, .8 – 1.2 grams will suffice.

The rest of that article can be found here: Nutrition 101 - Part 2 [Vitamins And Minerals, Carbohydrates, Fat Loss, Protein] - Fitness.com

That nutrition article is in 6 parts and I would recommend reading all of them :)

As for incorporating HIIT (high intensity interval training) - most people will never actually do true HIIT, but if you can eventually incorporate 2 interval workouts each week where you do a higher intensity interval followed by a low intensity interval, it's better than always doing steady state cardio. HIIT has been shown to preserve muscle mass better than steady state cardio, but HIIT is something that needs to be worked up to gradually to avoid injury!

Numbers 1 and 2 from above are the most important and are absolutely necessary for preserving (or gaining) muscle mass, especially while in a caloric deficit. If you follow those 2 rules, you should be good to go!

thanks , i tought nobody was going to answer, am going to start a 1800 calorie diet. i used an online calculator and it said i should eat 2100 . am also going to do 3 times a week circuit training for 1 hour and 3 hours of cardio on the other 3 and rest one day, can yo help me with a circuit traning routing? i will look in to the hiit thanks for the help
im 511 and have 31% of body fat am tring to go down to 190 or maybe 185, my current weight is somewhere in the 232 , 235 range
once again thanks for all the tips

am really lost, on how many days should i lift and do hiit ,how many sets , reps, time. i being doing a full body routine twicw a week for the past 6 months but it hasent being every week , i would really , really apreciate if you could help me out. i juat change my job and now i have plenty of time to work out

At the start, if you did 3 days of circuit training (1 hour each workout) and 2 or 3 days of cardio (1 hour each time), then you'd be off to a great start. Work on getting consistent with that, then maybe incorporate HIIT later, but don't worry too much about adding a whole bunch of different things at the start - just work on getting to the gym on a regular basis, and not finding excuses to skip workouts.

Once you start doing HIIT, you would replace 1 or 2 of your cardio days with HIIT - it would be a shorter workout, but higher intensity. Then you would keep up with steady state cardio 1-2 times per week for an hour or more.

What types of equipment do you have at your gym for creating a circuit training session? Free weights? Machines for each muscle group? Exercise balls?

its a big gym it has everything, can you help me out with a good routine?

I see that you read Goldfish's post on Training for Fat Loss... Here is another one that he wrote that has great advice on exercises as well as technique: http://training.fitness.com/weight-...-weight-training-advice-51019.html#post423977

Normally, I would be able to do a full history and physical assessment on a client, so I would have an idea of the person's injuries, medical conditions, and physical capabilities in the gym. I would also be able to guide them through the exercises and teach them how to do them properly... So I would recommend hiring a personal trainer that knows what they are doing to go through these exercises with you at least a couple of times. There may also be exercises that are not recommended for you to do based on any physical issues you might have.

i have read that circuit trainig for more than 40 minutes its not good, thats why am asking?

When you say circuit training, are you talking about doing something like switching between cardio and strength training exercises for the whole workout? I would prefer to see you just focus on strength training for a full 40 mins, with a warm-up before you start, of course :).

so cardio at a steady pace for an hour its good? cause some people say its too much

This is an interesting question... it's not so much a question of is it 'good' or 'bad,' but what's most appropriate at different points in your training. Interval training and HIIT are more effective in terms of burning more calories in a shorter workout and preserving lean mass. However, I prefer that my clients gradually progress to higher intensity workouts to prevent injury and/or burnout. Would those same people say that going for an hour walk with your dog is bad? Or going for a hike for an hour or more? I wouldn't say that's a bad thing at all, in fact, these are exactly the types of things that I encourage my clients to do - get out and MOVE!

No matter what method of weight loss you choose, diet and exercise are the only way to maintain your goal. Always consult your doctor before starting any weight loss plan, especially when trying to lose a large amount of weight quickly.

It's possible to lose 45 lbs. quickly, but it's not very easy to do. Losing a lot of weight in a short amount of time requires a strict, low-calorie diet and lots of physical activity.

Although diet pills, fad diets or weight loss surgery may be the fastest way to lose weight, the results are often temporary and difficult to maintain. I recommend avoid any short cut ways.

Try to follow all of my advice step by step:

• Burn more calories than you consume. Create a 3,500-calorie deficit to lose 1 lb. per week. For example, lose 2 pounds a week by cutting 500 calories from your diet and using physical activity to burn 500 more calories every day, for a total of 7,000 calories a week. Create a larger deficit to lose 45 lbs. quickly if desired. Increase physical activity to burn more calories while consuming a healthy amount of calories. A man should consume at least 1,200 calories per day.

• Be physically active for 60 minutes at least five days per week. Choose activities you enjoy to make it easier to perform for longer periods of time. It may be easier to roller-skate with friends or family for two hours than to run on a treadmill. Two hours of roller-skating can burn more than 800 calories, depending on your weight. If you don't have an hour, small bouts of activity are also effective. For example, run for 20 minutes in the morning, play racquetball for 20 minutes at noon and walk for 20 minutes before dinner. Three to five days per week, may be necessary for weight loss results.

• Incorporate interval training into your physical activity. Interval training is alternating between low and high intensity exercise during any cardiovascular activity. For example, alternate between walking a lap and running a lap until you reach a mile. Sprint up the stairs and walk down for 10 minutes or run for one minute then sprint for 30 seconds, alternating this cycle for a total of 20 minutes. Vigorous activity burns more calories, even if it's for a short amount of time.

• Use calisthenics such as sit-ups and push-ups, to strengthen muscles. Resistance training such as weight lifting can cause hypertrophy, an increase in muscle size, which may lead to weight gain instead of weight loss. Calisthenics are a form of muscular endurance training that uses your own body weight to develop muscular fitness. Use calisthenics every day and multiple times a day to maximize strength gains.

If you are really committed to yourself then definitely all of my recommendation would be great tips for you. All it needs is your hard works. So keep it up your hard works.

Back