At home exercising

Lately I've been trying to do some exercising at home, and I came up with this routine I've been doing nightly:

• 5 sets of 15 push ups
  • 3 sets of 30 squats
  • 4 sets of 20 crunches

I want to know if there's anything that I should change or add into my routine. Is this enough to get some muscle?

You need to increase the number after every week.

This is a great start. And yes you will have to increase the number of repetitions and sets as the weeks go on, but also you may have to change the way in which you perform the exercise.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

I completely disagree with adding more sets and reps to this routine.

In my opinion, it would be more beneficial to add exercises for different muscle groups to make the routine more balanced. Also, rather than adding sets and reps, you need to make exercises like squats harder by holding onto something with weight. The weight is what you should be gradually increasing over time.

As dloop said, you may also want to vary the exercises to target slightly different muscle groups, challenge yourself, and prevent boredom.

You will build a little muscle, however, I would highly suggest that you pick up some resistance bands and/or some dumbbells. This way you can do some bicep curls, tricep extensions, rows and presses. Also crunches aren't the best core exercise as they don't yield the best results. You may want to do planks, ab folds and Russian twists instead. You can also work your shoulders (and core) by starting in a plank position and lifting yourself up on your hands and repeating for 15 or more reps and 3 sets. Additionally you can do your exercises in a circuit fashion-meaning you do 1 set of 15 push ups and then move on to your 30 squats and so on. So you work different muscle groups back to back, cutting down the rest time and turning your resistance training into a cardio workout! Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Back