Build Me - An Ongoing Journey

Sunday 03/14/10
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diet:
9:00am:
(2 cups Cooked Oatmeal)
(4 Egg Whites, 3 oz Turkey Cold Cuts, 2 oz Goat Cheese)
(1 cup Fruit Salad)
2 slices Whole Grain Toast
1:00pm:
(2 slices Rye Toast, 8 oz Turkey Cold Cuts)
1 Pear
6:45pm:
(2+ cups Cooked Rice)
(1 quart Steamed Chicken and Vegetables)
(1/4- cup Chinese Spicy Brown Sauce)

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Rest.

That was the workout.

The Day:

I may have overeaten for dinner, however I probably underrate for lunch so my best guess is it balanced out in the end. I also wasn’t able to take progress measurements today. I’ll take them next Sunday.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #449.

Last edited:
Monday 03/15/10
Diet:
7:30am:
Oatmeal {1+ cup Dry Rolled Oats}
Pepper and Onion Omelet{1 cup Egg Beaters, Onions, Bell Peppers} [Canola Oil]
1 Pear
12:50pm:
Chicken Sandwich {8 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, 2 small slices 120 cal Multigrain Bread, 1 small slice 100 cal Whole Wheat Bread, Lettuce, Mustard} [Canola Oil]
Cottage Cheese Wrap {1 150 cal Sprouted Grain Wrap, 1/3 cup 1% Fat Cottage Cheese, Lettuce, Red Bell Peppers, Extra Virgin Olive Oil}
1 Apple
5:20pm:
(2 cups Cooked Rice)
(1- quart Steamed Chicken and Vegetables)
(1/4- cup Chinese Brown Sauce)

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Squats 3x5,5,5x220,220,205
Overhead Press 3x1,4,5,5x95,90,90
Pull-ups 3x4,2,2

That was the workout.

The Day:

I had a disappointing workout. I just wasn’t feeling it. Everyone has these days and I guess today was one of mine. I also had a horrible dinner. Tomorrow will be better.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #450.

Tuesday 03/16/10
Diet:
6:50am:
Chicken, Pepper and Onion Omelet{3/4 cup Egg Beaters, 3 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Onions, Bell Peppers} [Canola Oil]
1 Pear
12:10pm:
Chicken Sandwich {8 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, 2 slices 100 cal Whole Wheat Bread, Lettuce, Mustard} [Canola Oil]
Cottage Cheese Wrap {1 150 cal Sprouted Grain Wrap, 1/3 cup 1% Fat Cottage Cheese, Lettuce, Red Bell Peppers, Extra Virgin Olive Oil}
1 Apple
6:10pm:
{10.5 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Canola Oil]
{1/2+ cup Dry Quinoa, Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil}

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Treadmill:
2 miles in 13:59
Met-Con:
3 intervals:
30 Mountain Climbers
5 Chin-ups
5 Box Jumps
10 Ball Slams
30 sec rest
Core/Abs:
3 intervals:
40 Scissor Kicks
15 Crunches
5 Abs Roll-outs
40 sec Six Inches
30 sec rest

That was the workout.

The Day:

I had a good diet of self-cooked meals today. After more than a week of eating out on break plus the last two nights of disappointing delivery food I was extremely happy to go back to my old habits.

I also had a nice workout that was difficult, but not enough to deter me from succeeding.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #451.

I had time during my lifting session today to take some videos of my performance. Overall, I was fairly impressed. My form looked strict and tight for both squats and bench presses.

My only concern is the deadlift. Even when switching to very light weights (as I've been doing for the last few weeks to work on my form) I still could not get a good arch. Yes, my back stayed flat, however I don't think this is good enough. I want a nice strong arch so that when I move up in weights I still can be confident in my form. Any recommendations on how to get that proper technique?

Squats 1:

Squats 2:

Squats 3:

Bench Press 1:

Bench Press 2:

Bench Press 3:

Deadlifts 1:

Deadlifts 2:

Deadlifts 3:

Wednesday 03/17/10
Diet:
7:30am:
Chicken Omelet{3/4+ cup Egg Beaters, 2 oz Skinless Chicken Breast } [Canola Oil]
1 Pear
12:25pm:
Chicken Sandwich {8 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, 2 slices 100 cal Whole Wheat Bread, Lettuce, Mustard} [Canola Oil]
1 Apple
5:00pm:
{10 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Canola Oil]
{1/2+ cup Dry Quinoa, Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil}

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Squats 3x5x205
Bench Press 3x5x145
Deadlifts 3x5x135

That was the workout.

The Day:

I had a strong workout. I took videos and posted them on this journal earlier for more details.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #452.

Thursday 03/18/10
Diet:
6:30am:
Chicken, Pepper and Onion Omelet{3/4 cup Egg Beaters, 3 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Onions, Bell Peppers} [Canola Oil]
1 Pear
12:20pm:
1 Apple
6:20pm:
{1/2+ cup Dry Quinoa, Onions, Mushrooms, Carrots, Celery, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil}

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Treadmill:
Met-Con:
3 intervals:
30 Mountain Climbers
5 Chin-ups
5 Box Jumps
10 Ball Slams
30 sec rest
Core/Abs:
3 intervals:
40 Scissor Kicks
15 Crunches
5 Abs Roll-outs
40 sec Six Inches
30 sec rest

That was the workout.

The Day:

I had a normal workout and a normal diet.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #453.

Friday 03/19/10
Diet:
1 Pear
12:00pm:
1 Apple
7:30pm:
(2 cups Rice, Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Cooking)
(10 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Cooking)

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Squats 3x5x205
Overhead Press 3x5x90
Pull-ups 3x6-,4-,2

That was the workout.

The Day:

I had an excellent lifting session. I was motivated. And this time it was not just in my mind. I was strong. I lifted hard and with strict form. Each movement felt good, but painful at the same time. I will strive for all my workouts to be like this one.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #454.

Saturday 03/20/10
Diet:
1 Pear
12:30pm:
Chicken Sandwich {7 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, 2 slices 100 cal Whole Wheat Bread, Lettuce, Mustard} [Canola Oil]
1 Apple
7:10pm:
{9.5 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Sage, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Canola Oil]
{0.25 cups Dry Quinoa, Mushrooms, Onions, Carrots, Celery, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil]

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Rest.

That was the workout.

The Day:

I look forward to my weigh in tomorrow.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #455.

Sunday 03/21/10
Measurements:

Body Weight: 159.80lb Change: +2.00lb
Lean Mass: 139.83lb Change: +0.65lb
Percent Fat: 12.50% Change: +0.70%
Body Fat: 19.98lb Change: +1.36lb

Progress Pictures:

None.

Thoughts and Opinions:

I’m still gaining weight at a pace a tad too fast for my liking. I’m going to cut back on my dinners a little bit. I’ll also be more careful when I’m eating in circumstances where it becomes nigh impossible to estimate calories and I am left to “eat by feeling”. Overall though, I continue to get stronger and that means what I’m doing is working.

I also forgot to take pictures this week. Since it’s nearing the end of the month anyway, I’m going to wait until the first Sunday of April.

This concludes Entry #456 Sunday Morning Edition.

Sunday 03/21/10
Diet:
1 Pear
12:45pm:
1 Apple
6:00pm:
{4 oz Dry Spaghetti, Garlic Olive Oil Sauce to Cover, Extra Virgin Olive Oil}

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Rest.

That was the workout.

The Day:

Feeling pumped for tomorrow’s squats.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #456.

Monday 03/22/10
Diet:
Chicken Omelet{3/4 cup Egg Beaters, 3 oz Skinless Chicken Breast } [Canola Oil]
1 Pear
12:40pm:
1 Apple
{4 oz Dry Spaghetti, Garlic Olive Oil Sauce to Cover, Extra Virgin Olive Oil}

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Squats 3x5x210
Bench Press 3x3,2,4,4x150,145,145,140
Deadlifts 3x5x135

That was the workout.

The Day:

Though I was incredibly motivated today, my form was subpar. I noticed some shifting towards my toes during my squats. This is a problem I’ve almost never had with the exercise, so it is annoying for it to creep up now. I’m not sure what caused it, but I’ll be paying close attention next lifting session.

I also failed on my bench press. However, I consider that a success.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #457.

Tuesday 03/23/10
Diet:
1 Pear
Chicken Sandwich {8 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, 2 small slices 100 cal Whole Wheat Bread, 1 small Slice 120 cal Multigrain Bread, Lettuce, Mustard} [Canola Oil]
1 Apple
6:15pm:
{1/2+ cup Dry Quinoa, Onions, Carrots, Celery, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil}

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Treadmill:
Met-Con:
3 intervals:
10 Burpees
10 15lb Bicep Curls into Shoulder Press
5 Box Jumps
5 Exploding Pushups
30 sec rest
Core/Abs:
3 intervals:
1 min Plank
30 sec Leg Raises
30 sec Bicycle Crunches
30 sec rest

That was the workout.

The Day:

I was hoping to use a higher level platform for my box jumps, but couldn’t quite make it. I’ll keep on working up to it. The rest of my workout was harder than normal. However, I had spectacular motivation and performed to the best of my abilities. Now I say that, but with the advantage of hindsight, I feel like I could have done better. I will always strive for more.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #458.

Wednesday 03/24/10
Diet:
1 Pear
11:45pm:
Chicken Sandwich {8 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, 2 slices 120 cal Multigrain Bread, Lettuce, Mustard} [Canola Oil]
1 Apple
{1/2+ cup Dry Quinoa, Onions, Carrots, Celery, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil}

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Squats 3x4,5,5x210,205,205
Overhead Press 3x5x90
Pull-ups 3x5,3,3

That was the workout.

The Day:

I went for 210 despite my form problems from last time. The problems persisted. I made the decision to instead switch back to 205 and make sure I was maintaining proper structure. Overall I noticed myself weak today and it was annoying.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #459.

Thursday 03/25/10
Diet:
1 Pear
Chicken Sandwich {8 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, 2 slices 120 cal Multigrain Bread, Lettuce, Mustard} [Canola Oil]
1 Apple
{1/2+ cup Dry Quinoa, Onions, Carrots, Celery, Garlic, Ginger, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil]

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Treadmill:
Met-Con:
3 intervals:
10 Burpees
10 15lb Bicep Curls into Shoulder Press
5 Box Jumps
5 Exploding Pushups
30 sec rest
Core/Abs:
3 intervals:
1 min Plank
30 sec Leg Raises
30 sec Bicycle Crunches
30 sec rest

That was the workout.

The Day:

I had a great workout. I focused hard on being in touch with my muscle-mind connection in each motion. This lead to form improvements (though I did sacrifice some speed). I ended up more satisfied with the overall session and felt like I worked it harder this time than last. I plan to use this same mentality in my future cardio sessions instead of my previous “do it as fast as you can” strategy.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #460.

Friday 03/26/10
Diet:
Chicken Omelet{3/4 cup Egg Beaters, 3 oz Skinless Chicken Breast } [Canola Oil]
1 Pear
12:10pm:
1 Apple
6:00pm:
{9+ oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Canola Oil]
{1/2+ cup Dry Quinoa, Onions, Carrots, Celery, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil}

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Squats 3x5x205
Bench Press 3x5x145
Deadlifts 3x5x135

That was the workout.

The Day:

My squats were still somewhat messy today. I’m not sure why I’m seemingly getting weak in that area. It shouldn’t last. My bench however felt good.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #461.

Saturday 03/27/10
Diet:
1 Pear
1 Apple
{10.2 oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Canola Oil]
{1.25 cups Dry Quinoa, Onions, Carrots, Celery, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil]

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Rest.

That was the workout.

The Day:

I have nothing to say.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #462.

Sunday 03/28/10
Measurements:

Body Weight: 160.20lb Change: +0.40lb
Lean Mass: 141.14lb Change: +1.31lb
Percent Fat: 11.90% Change: -0.60%
Body Fat: 19.06lb Change: -0.92lb

Progress Pictures:

None.

Thoughts and Opinions:

I am right on target this week and it feels good.

This concludes Entry #463 Sunday Morning Edition.

Sunday 03/29/10
Diet:
1 Pear
1 Apple
7:50pm:
{12- oz Skinless Chicken Breast, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Canola Oil]
{1.25 cups Dry Quinoa, Onions, Carrots, Celery, Garlic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil]

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Rest.

That was the workout.

The Day:

I spent most of the day cooking. I then followed it be accidentally eating too much for dinner. I say accidentally because it was in fact a measurement mistake on my part that I didn’t realize until after consumption. However, an extra 2 oz is not going to make any significant difference.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #463.

Monday 03/29/10
Diet:
1 Pear
1:30pm:
1 Apple
8:45pm:
(2 small Chicken Breasts) [Extra Virgin Olive Oil]
(3 cups Cooked Potatoes in 2 in cubes) [Extra Virgin Olive Oil]
(3 cups Cooked Eggplant Tomato Ragu) [Extra Virgin Olive Oil]

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Squats 3x5,205
Overhead Press 3x5,3,2,5x90,90,85,85
Pull-ups 3x4.8,2.9,2.1

That was the workout.

The Day:

My squats were better. I stayed at 205 pounds, but this time I did it with nice form and controlled movements. I had only small signs of the issues that troubled me last week.

My overhead press was not better. I decreased the weight after failing on my second set. I’m not sure why I cannot seem to consistently get stronger even when gaining weight. I also did not perform as well as I would have liked with my pull-ups (though this could have been because I was weakened from muscular failure earlier).

I may have overeaten during the Passover Seder tonight. I’ll eat slightly less for each meal tomorrow to make up for it.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #464.

Tuesday 03/30/10
Diet:
1 Pear
1 Apple
{1 15 oz can Whole Black Beans, 1/2 28 oz can Whole Plum Tomatoes with Juice, Onions, Red Bell Peppers, Garlic, Spices, Extra Virgin Olive Oil} [Extra Virgin Olive Oil]

That was my diet.

The Workout:

Treadmill:
1.0 miles
0.7 miles
0.3 miles
Met-Con:
3 intervals:
30 Mountain Climbers
7 Pushups into 12lb Dumbbell Rows
20 Jump Ropes
10 Kettlebell Swings
30 sec rest
Core/Abs:
3 intervals:
1 min Plank
10 Hanging Knee Raises
30 Scissor Kicks
30 sec rest

That was the workout.

The Day:

I’m not sure what happened with my workout, but it was one thing after another of disappointments. It started with my run. I had to use a different treadmill than my normal one, however usually that doesn’t make too much of a difference. This time it did. I barely completed a mile before stopping. I switched to yet another machine and only was able to go over 0.7 miles. Finally, my normal treadmill became free and I was able to complete the last 0.3 miles. By that time however my throat was already sore and my mouth beginning to form a metallic taste.

I went on with the rest of my workout, but either due to the treadmill taking it all out of me or just an overall lack of energy (maybe it was the Seder last night that didn’t sit too well) I simply could not perform well. In every area I felt weak. It was disappointing. Next cardio session I will do better.

That was the day.

This concludes Entry #465.

Back