Stop using machines!

For those people who are still against free weights and think machines are somehow helping them (excluding people of certain circumstances w/ injuries and what not), read this:

Nice.

I agree with you...I find free weights much better and more effective in so many ways.

I agree 100%. I hate machines, and I've injured myself on mine a couple times. There are however a few moves I still do with mine.

Cable pull downs
lat pulls
and squats only because I don't own a squat rack.

So I guess mine still serves a purpose. But once I get a squat rack I'll be dumping that piece of **** machine.

dont think that was against machines,more of against certain exercises on machines,there can also be bad exercises with free weights.

as long as the exercise your doing stimulates the muscle fibres it doesnt reall matter,(providing its hypertrophy your after) i prefer free weights but i use machines as well,infact some of the bench-press machines out there now mimick your natural movement better than a bar would,but not as good as DBs.

dont think that was against machines,more of against certain exercises on machines,there can also be bad exercises with free weights.

as long as the exercise your doing stimulates the muscle fibres it doesnt reall matter,(providing its hypertrophy your after) i prefer free weights but i use machines as well,infact some of the bench-press machines out there now mimick your natural movement better than a bar would,but not as good as DBs.
I totally disagree. I doubt that there are ANY machines anywhere that mimick someone's natural movement. And even if it did, it would be so different for every person. There is no way it does a better job than a bar. That's a huge reason why they should almost never be used.

However, as a few said, they do have their place, sometimes (as in possibly injury or rehab), with an emphasis on sometimes.
I agree 100%. I hate machines, and I've injured myself on mine a couple times. There are however a few moves I still do with mine.

Cable pull downs
lat pulls
and squats only because I don't own a squat rack.

So I guess mine still serves a purpose. But once I get a squat rack I'll be dumping that piece of **** machine.
Squat with what machine?

I totally disagree. I doubt that there are ANY machines anywhere that mimick someone's natural movement.
lifefitness/hammerstrength bench-press machines,allow a better stretch than a bar,because the bar stops at the chest,they also bring the hands in towards the centre (more natural movement) like DBs would

And even if it did, it would be so different for every person.
why??? you can adjust all the variables to suit

There is no way it does a better job than a bar. That's a huge reason why they should almost never be used.
thats your opinion,but besides using stabilser muscles,the bar doesnt offer any more as far as hypertrophy is concerned (to the pecs) unless you have evidence to the contrary,and saying any equipment should never be used is just pathetic.

I totally disagree. I doubt that there are ANY machines anywhere that mimick someone's natural movement.
lifefitness/hammerstrength bench-press machines,allow a better stretch than a bar,because the bar stops at the chest,they also bring the hands in towards the centre (more natural movement) like DBs would
So use dumbbells and you get your real natural ROM. Problem solved instead of created.
And even if it did, it would be so different for every person.
why??? you can adjust all the variables to suit
A machine will almost never, for ANY person fit his or her exact natural ROM. It doesn't matter what you adjust. You're still following the path of the machine. You have lots of stabilizer muscles and different minor joint movements that make the whole motion very individually specific.
There is no way it does a better job than a bar. That's a huge reason why they should almost never be used.
thats your opinion,but besides using stabilser muscles,the bar doesnt offer any more as far as hypertrophy is concerned (to the pecs) unless you have evidence to the contrary,and saying any equipment should never be used is just pathetic.
I said almost never, and it's just true, pathetic. It's not about hypertrophy, it's about getting into your natural movement pattern to prevent injury. In the process, you will also be able to better stimulate your muscles and work with them better, so yes, a barbell probably would be better for hypertrophy. Pick up any good training book/routine and tell how many of them are telling people to squat in a smith machine, use a pec deck, or do machine shoulder presses.

And why specific to pecs? Mirror muscles, it seems ;)

specific to pecs because we were talking about bench-machines
i also didnt recomend squating in a smith machine please read my posts properly i said (dont think that was against machines,more of against certain exercises on machines,there can also be bad exercises with free weights.)

So use dumbbells and you get your real natural ROM. Problem solved instead of created.
DBs cant always be used,if you dont have a partner

you will also be able to better stimulate your muscles and work with them better, so yes, a barbell probably would be better for hypertrophy
not true stimulating your muscle fibres is not about the exercise equipment you use,its about the weight and repetitions.
i have also said ( i prefer free weights but i use machines as well,) to completly dismiss machines out of your routine,is like a tradesman throwing half of his tools away,and shows your ignorance,ask coleman.yates,arnie,reeves,or any BBr if they have used machines and the answer would be yes.

They are bodybuilders. That's a completely different story.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. Machines suck for most things and for most people.

wow, good debate goin here. I am personally biased because i lift at home and have no machines. When i was goin to a gym i would only use them for burnin out sets or if maybe i had some kind of injury and wanted to baby that muscle group.
It also comes down to what your goals are as well, if you just want to look like your in decent aerobic shape and go light than machines can be useful, if your lookin to put on some real muscle (bodybuilder or not) like myself, than free weights are the way to go.
And the statement about not being able to use dumbells without a spotter needs to be re-thought, i do all my bumbell and freeweight exercises without a spotter,on any exercise i want, you just need to be creative sometimes and come up with things that will ensure safety.

ask coleman.yates,arnie,reeves,or any BBr if they have used machines and the answer would be yes.

Ask them if they used free weights and what they developed their power and mass with, and I bet they say basic compound exercises with free weights!

The machine craze was started around 1977 by Arthur Jones who claimed his Nautalus Machines could develop muscle strength faster than any other method with only 1 set of 12 reps per machine 3 times a week. He paraded a slew of champion body builders out to "prove" his claim. Unfortunately, everybody knew all those guys were that big long before Mr. Jones "invented" his machines, but he was a good marketer and proved that if you say something enough times with enough conviction a lot of people will believe you and he soon had a Nautilus fitness center in just about every major urban area. Of course, a lot of other people saw his success and made their own line of machines as well, some were successful and many went bust.

The best thing about machines is they seem less intimidating to many and therefore get a lot of people to do resistance exercise who otherwise would not. As I always say, almost any exercise is better than no exercise and the best exercise for you is the one you will keep doing regularly for the long term.

Natural progression: which can actually tell you a lot about where you fall in your quest for knowledge and realization.

Machines are amazing it's all I use>>>>

Machines aren't as good as free weights, I should start using the bb/db>>>>

Machines SUCK!>>>>

Long time...

Machines are another useful tool.

Natural progression: which can actually tell you a lot about where you fall in your quest for knowledge and realization.

Machines are amazing it's all I use>>>>

Machines aren't as good as free weights, I should start using the bb/db>>>>

Machines SUCK!>>>>

Long time...

Machines are another useful tool.

I think we should also bring KBs into the discussion.. you know.. for ****z 'n giggles.

Back