High Intensity Interval Training - How often?

I am a 15 year old male, I am 5 feet 11 inches and weigh approximately 208 lbs. Yes I am overweight, borderline obese. Today I went to the gym and started HIIT:

Sprint at 9.0 mph-1 min
Cool down 3.5 mph-2 min

I repeated this interval 6 times and by that time I was extremely tired.

Should I be doing this everyday if I want to lose weight? I want to lose the most weight I can by the end of AUGUST without hurting myself.

If I am only doing HIIT every other day, what can I do on off days to help me lose weight? Would swimming be a good option? I am not familiar with weight training so please don't mention that.

THANKS!

Do HIIT no more than 3x weekly but only if you are in good enough shape to do it. Swimming is a good cardio sport a are running and cycling. If not weight training, why not bodyweight training (eg pushups, pullups, dips, etc.)?

Strength training would help you a lot. Try 2-3 days per week of strength training along with 2-3 sessions of cardio and you will be well on your way to a healthier you. :)

squats
push ups
pull ups
sit ups
etc

As far as cardio options go you can do all kinds of stuff like jump rope, running, biking, swimming, walking, sports etc.

Last edited:
Agree with the first two replies if not weight training then definitely body weight training.

Also you may want to alter your eating habits. There is a lot of good information on the Nutrition Forum here.

Good Luck :)

Back