jon's life of lifting

Glad to see that you are gaining weight at 173, now. That's really good considering it's post sweating your rear off. Damn, you are getting really strong and will surpass my strength in like 5-6 decades. :) J.K man in a year or two.

As for me, I am still in Diet phase until end of the week. Then it will probably be maintaince for about a week or 2. Maintaince / bulk will start at post labor day. Right shoulder is still kinda weird but feeling better. I've been reading / researching a lot on Lyle Mcdonald's website with lots of his articles; it's also my way of training my brain and working that muscle out more.

Continue the good work man!!!

Glad to see that you are gaining weight at 173, now. That's really good considering it's post sweating your rear off. Damn, you are getting really strong and will surpass my strength in like 5-6 decades. :) J.K man in a year or two.

As for me, I am still in Diet phase until end of the week. Then it will probably be maintaince for about a week or 2. Maintaince / bulk will start at post labor day. Right shoulder is still kinda weird but feeling better. I've been reading / researching a lot on Lyle Mcdonald's website with lots of his articles; it's also my way of training my brain and working that muscle out more.

Continue the good work man!!!

LOLLLL! that made me laugh pretty hard man haha 5 decades.

thanks tho man, iv been missing ur company and such. i havent started a log at that other site, but i'd be glad to read along with you on lyle mcdonald's website if u could link me!

and yeah im still thinkin about dieting man. vanity and my quest for strength and muscle increase have been battling for my descision.
but im honestly not satisfied with my strength levels. so i will keep the strength training; i am having tons of fun trying new things in my training life.
hope you are doing 2x as well man!
thanks for stopping in man!!!

I am not doing a journal on Lyle's forum, just reading / researching his articles. Lots of stuff for example he sugguest to start bulking at 10% and at 15% bodyfat to start weightlost down to 10%; repeat with 2 week deloading at each transition.

Another thing that he suggest is only 3 cardio session (~30 minutes) per week (at most 5) while mass gaining phase. The reason that I bring this up is that when you do decide for some sex-ta-cise and at your age, you might have to sacrafice sex-ta-cise volume for mass gain..... or NOT... I would laugh my ASS off if you roll over without finishing after 30 minutes and say, "Honey, this is going to affect my mass gain of 1 lbs per week. I gotta stop, sorry."

I am not doing a journal on Lyle's forum, just reading / researching his articles. Lots of stuff for example he sugguest to start bulking at 10% and at 15% bodyfat to start weightlost down to 10%; repeat with 2 week deloading at each transition.

Another thing that he suggest is only 3 cardio session (~30 minutes) per week (at most 5) while mass gaining phase. The reason that I bring this up is that when you do decide for some sex-ta-cise and at your age, you might have to sacrafice sex-ta-cise volume for mass gain..... or NOT... I would laugh my ASS off if you roll over without finishing after 30 minutes and say, "Honey, this is going to affect my mass gain of 1 lbs per week. I gotta stop, sorry."

That would be a quick way to lose a girlfriend lol.

8/28/09

FULL SQUATS
135x2x3
225x3
285x1
285x2
285x3
285x1
285x2
285x3
285x3(+ an additional set of 3)
285x2
285x1
these were pretty difficult 9 on the RPE scale.

CHINUPS
10x3 @ +35
not difficult

BENCH
135x2x3
200x2x5(+5lbs)
215x3(+5lbs)
215x2
these were 10 on the RPE scale. im going to switch to another training block now.

RDL
2x12 @ 145 (+10lbs from last session)

SHRUGS
12 @ 150(+5lbs)
2x10 @ 150

CALF RAISES
3x20 @ 170(+5lbs)

PWO: usual

notes: today's workout was very heavy and taxing. i will have videos up soon for the squats and sumo deads.
im going to a new training block for bench that will incorporate more incline benching and higher rep ranges. although, i will do some heavy lifting along with it.

yeah, that is me.

and i also noticed that my knees dont stay in the correct positin the entire time. i dont know what to do to fix this. it just happens when the weight gets heavy.

i think im gonig to switch to 4x6 or something for strength for a bit and make sure my knees dont buckle/move as i squat. form first.

but just curios, how big of a deal is it with my knees buckling a bit now?

You usually want your knees to go out in the direction of your toes, this ensures that you won't rotate in the knee joint, it also ensures that your rectus femoris won't drag your knee cap to the side, which can cause wear and tear over time.

Some people will have to squat with their feet pointed a bit out compared to their knees because their ankle is rotated. Like me, for example, when my tibia is in line with my knee cap, by feet will be pointing quite a bit outward.

8/30

STATIC LUNGES
45X5
135X5
195x5(+5lbs)
195x5(+5lbs)
195x5(+5lbs)
195x5(+5lbs) (+1 set) new PR
these are unique. feel it in the legs a lot!

PENDLAY ROWS
135x3
135x3
185x4(+5lbs)
185x4(+5lbs)
185x4(+5lbs)
185x4(+5lbs) new PR
this is by far a new personal record. i used to pendlay row 185 for 1 rep. video on form coming up soon.

MILITARY PRESS
45x2x10
95x3
110x10x3(+5lbs)
these went well

SUPERSET:

LONG BAR CURLS
65x12
65x10
65x10

CLOSE PUSHUPS
3x15

PWO: USUAL

comments: progress is coming gradually and consistantly.
from now on, when i set a PR, i will list it as a PR. even though i add weight on my other exercises, it may not neccisarily be a PR, because i might have started with a weight that was a bit lighter to build up momentum.
today i noticed that i have added a good amount of weight in my bulk over the last couple of months. however, i am thinking about cutting for about 1-2 months to get leaner. i know that i am at least 12% bf and i would really like the lean down a couple percentage ponits. i love the lean look. i will probably go down to around 10%.
therefore, i would LOVE any tips on cutting that anyone has. anything that i should avoid, anything i should pay particular attention to, or any experiance one has learned from.
video coming soon.

how is everyone doing? how is training coming?!

I agree with everyone so far, your knees looks like butterfly flapping it's wing. Is it me or is your right foot pointing out more than the left? Not sure what is going on there at all but 285 full squat is awesome man. Btw, you look bigger then before but also flabbier as expected. I was going to say something crude here but didn't want to seem to homo.... Instead I will let your mind wonder.

thanks, tic haha. i gained soem BF for sure, but its all good. thinking about cutting down soon anyway and im excited about that. i just have a couple more things to accomplish before that, but i can deal with it since i can see my lifts gonig up and my muscles getting bigger.

as for the squats...i guess il just lower the weight a bit and make sure my form is spot on. u guys think thats a good idea?

yo have yoru highs, yo have your lows

9/2/09

DE BOX SQUATS
135x3
185x10x2 (+5lbs)
45 sec rest
RPE:6

PULLUPS
11(+1 rep)
11(+1 rep)
RPE:9

BENCH
135x2x3
135x12
145x12
145x10
lol..im glad i found a weak spot so that i can improve and see gains.
RPE:8

POWER CLEAN & PUSH PRESS
135x4 (+1 rep)
140x3 (+5lbs)
140x3(+5lbs)

SUMO DEADLIFTS
135x5
225x3
250x4x5 (+5 lbs on all)
these were fun

SINGLE LEG CALF RAISES
3x20 @ +20lbs (+5lbs)

PWO: USUAL (2 scoops whey, juice)

comments: today was another great workout. i think im going to bulk for another ~2 weeks then cut down a bit.
im really liking the progressin i have set up. i have it all planned out, and it is working very well. i see noticable gains in my legs, lats, arms, traps, and even chest and calves. i like the sterngth gains too.
however, i realy want all my lifts to go up lol. still aiming for that 340 squat, 400 deadlift, and 250 bench. i would also like to pendlay row 225, and finaly be able to military press 135 for reps. and gosh that military press goal is an elusive one, but im gonig to get it!

on a side note, iv been reading a weightlifting textbook that is over 500 pages long...lol

oh and i added a new addition to my log: RPE. here is the scale:
5 and below is very minimal effort
6- light. no intense effort whatsoever.
7-medium intensity; didnt have to grind any reps.
8-hard work, high heartrate yet not close to failure
9-very intense effort, grinding reps and very high heartrate
10-had to get very pumped up to even complete the set; nearly every rep was grinding
how is everyone?

Last edited:
Looking good PB, keep up the good work and you should be reping what you want for Military press in no-time. That's a lift I have to go light on if I do it because a lack of a spot here at home alone :SaiyanSmilie_anim:

9/4/09

SQUATS
barx2x12
135x2x5
235x12
235x12
235x13(ALL +5lbs)
RPE: 9
these were actually fun, as opposed to the last 2 grueling workouts squatting 3x12
however, they were challenging. i was breathing in between squats for 1-2 breaths. i believe they went smoother because i warmed up my CNS much better today with more sets of warmup squats.

MILITARY PRESS
barx2x10
90x10
90x10
90x8 (all +5lbs)
im keeping this weight until i can do 3x12

BENT OVER ROWS
120x15
120x15
120x12(all +5lbs)
RPE: 9-10, because i burned out on the last set
probably keeping this until i get 3x15

PUSHUP PLUS
2x20

LONG BAR CURLS
2x6 @ 85lbs(+1 rep per set)
i didnt do a third set because i was feeling wasted.

comments:
wow. i felt burnt out today. mayb it was just the high reps on everything, but i did NOT feel energized at all. plus, i didnt get all my reps in for my 2 upper lifts. im feeling like i might take a light week, meaning i cut back weights 20% for 1 week and just relax more. its like a recover week. i read about that on matthew perryman's website, and he suggested 1 rest week every month o_O. so i guess im overdue.

however, i will share something personal i guess since this is my physique log and it is pretty much relevant:
i am not happy with how my physique LOOKS, as i have added a bit of body fat. i think about cutting weight quite frequently nowadays, as it will improve my physique and i personally would enjoy the benefits.
however, i am split between that and continueing to get stronger.
i still have not made a sure descision, but i really do think about cutting a lot.

either way , i am happy : ]
lifting is such a joy.

9/7/09

STATIC LUNGES
45x5
45x5
135x5
135x5
200x5
200x5
200x5
200x5(ALL + 5lbs)
RPE:8-9

INCLINE BENCH (new!)
45x12
95x12
115x12
120x8
115x8
im glad i picked these up again because i found another weak point to bring up!
RPE: 8

CHINS
working on these too...will go up

CALF RAISES
3x20 @ 180(+5lbs)

notes: i am taking a fairly easy week for recovery, trying not to do anything above 8 RPE. also, i am only doing 1 iso movement per workout now. i overdid it before by doing 2-3 every workout. taking a lot of quality rest and keeping the workouts brief. perhaps only 3-4 exercises per session.

You seem to be rolling along quite nicely :)

Have a nice easy weekand I'll be back with a whip for ya on Monday.....:violent: LOL! ;)

lol hell yeah
i cant wait to start putting up more weight on the military, incline, squat and deadlift to be particular!!!

Back