please help with routine

i know you guys get this all the time, but im a noob and id really appreciate some help setting up a bodyweight routine. all i have is a pullup bar and 4 dumbells (two 4 lb and two 8 lb i believe). im homeschooled so i have the time, but i just need help setting up a program that i can do until i can get a gym membership this summer.

im 15, 5'11", 170

thanks,
dUtCh.

pushup variations, pullups, ab/core exercises, bodyweight squats, back extensions.

thanks evan, but my question was aimed a little more towards like how many days i can do those things, what i should do for each workout, etc.

im sorry for the super noob questions, but thats what i am.

-dUtCh.

For your chest I recommend this program.

Start at the beginning and go from there. I've added noticeable size, strength and endurance to my chest and supporting muscles following this, which surprised me on the size side as common wisdom is high rep lower weight programs don't build size. I'm starting to apply it to other body parts that I want to work on.

For all your strength training exercises, wait at least 48 hours before working the same muscle group again so they have a chance to recover fully.

I wish I started into my strength training program when I was 15... :) You may be a noob, but you're already smarter than I was at your age when it comes to knowing the importance of exercise. By the way, it won't be long before you'll need heavier weights.

Last edited:
Start off with 3 days a week, like MWF, to give yourself enough time to rest. Try something like bodyweight squats, pushups, pullups, back extensions, and an ab/core exercise like planks. How many sets/reps will depend on your current strength level. 4 sets of 10 pushups would be a good place to start. It that's too easy, try 4 sets of 15 or 20. Keep adding in more whenever possible. It'll take a little trial and error, but you'll quickly learn how many reps of each exercise you can do.

Also, don't forget to eat right. A balanced diet with enough protein is essential.

hey thanks for the info!

im not sure what back extensions or planks are (ill search for them on youtube). and is it alright to do a different amount
of reps for different exercises? for example i can do alot of pushups but im not as good with pullups.

oh and i have been eating much healthier than i used to. ive cut out fast food, soda and stay away from sweets (most of the time). i find it hard to get in all of my calories every day though because i don't buy my food, but i try to eat every 3 hours or so.

thanks in advance,
dUtCh.

Last edited:
Yes, different number of reps for different exercises is fine. Ideally for the last set you want to do enough reps to take you to failure (or just before), where you can't do any more and still keep good form.

Back