Sport Some reason to avoid dairy?

Sport Fitness
I was recently chatting with a co-worker who competes in IFBB comps and then shortly after was reading a magazine about a SWAT team that joined something called the 911 Competition.

Both my friend and the article said something I found interesting.

The article about the SWAT team stated that the only "dairy" they used was whey powder mixed in H20 only.

My friend said her nutrition coach only allows them 1 cu. of low-fat cottage cheese and no other dairy besides whey mixed in water.

It left me wondering...is there a problem with dairy products when one is trying to get fit?

I love skim milk, cottage cheese, etc. I always thought of them as a very good source of protein. Lactose intolerance was not mentioned as an issue by anyone. Anyone know the theory behind avoiding dairy products?

there are some pretty hefty discussions in the nutrition environment about this. Milk or no milk, etc. IMO, it's all good stuff. I don't know what it is the against dairy people have a problem with..

There is lactose intolerance and milk allergies in a minority of people. Otherwise Rippetoe for example recommends drinking a gallon of milk and most people take cottage cheese at night before bed. Proteins from whey and milk are of very high quality BTW.

I don't see the problem with most of it. I guess milk is kinda sugary, but nothing out of control. Cheese is just protein and fat. I both cheese and milk every day and have no problem losing fat, and it is definitely helpful when trying to fill up a bulk diet with cals.

yeah, I think it's the sugar in milk some people have a problem with.. I don't know how bad it is though.. does it shoot insulin through the roof?

I've just had a quick look on another site and if preparing for a competition with very low body fat then in these conditions the lactose in milk can be avoided. Otherwise milk is fine for regular Joe. :beerchug:

special rules apply for contest prep, that's for sure. But I still don't get why some people think that dairy, specially milk, is the devil year around.

both of those are with regards to post workout drink, aren't they? I'm more interested in just using it all around. PWO is a bit special, for example, I'd never drink dextrose outside of the workout time.

Just got an interesting theory on the topic actually. I asked a couple trainers at the gym just now and they both said that galactose, for some reason, limits the capability for muscle to show good striations like most show athletes want to.

Excellent for building muscle they said but that muscle will be much more smooth and less "textured."

People have been saying for years that large amounts of milk will smooth the appearance of your muscle so you won't look as ripped. I've never seen any solid research to back it up but it is a common theme out there in fitness circles. There is also a myth that milk increases mucous production which a lot of endurance athletes subscribe to. I'm sure you can imagine that if you are running a marathon you wouldn't want any excess mucous. There is quite a bit of sound research that this is a myth but of course once something is widely enough held as a belief it is hard even with piles of research to convince people otherwise.

Lactose intolerance is also not very uncommon at all, it is mostly those of us of European heritage who's ancestors have been drinking cow milk for many generations that are able to properly digest it. Goat milk, whey or hard cheeses will not have the lactose issues.

I think milk is great, I drink some just about everyday and don't see a problem with it if you can digest it.

I do love dairy but I phased it out close to contest and will again, it does create mucus and water retention for me. Also since it is a highly processed food item that also is not so great. Many dairy products have added sodium that is something that bodybuilders watch and manipulate carefully in prep. I think it is delicious and there is nothing more wonderful than a big bowl of cottage cheese with almonds and cinnamon. :)

People have been saying for years that large amounts of milk will smooth the appearance of your muscle so you won't look as ripped. I've never seen any solid research to back it up but it is a common theme out there in fitness circles. There is also a myth that milk increases mucous production which a lot of endurance athletes subscribe to. I'm sure you can imagine that if you are running a marathon you wouldn't want any excess mucous. There is quite a bit of sound research that this is a myth but of course once something is widely enough held as a belief it is hard even with piles of research to convince people otherwise.

Lactose intolerance is also not very uncommon at all, it is mostly those of us of European heritage who's ancestors have been drinking cow milk for many generations that are able to properly digest it. Goat milk, whey or hard cheeses will not have the lactose issues.

I think milk is great, I drink some just about everyday and don't see a problem with it if you can digest it.

Milk will do that only as long as you keep it in your diet, right? As I seriously doubt it would alter the shape in which the muscles are built.

Also, why does milk do that? Is it just because of sodium and carbs?

Milk will do that only as long as you keep it in your diet, right? As I seriously doubt it would alter the shape in which the muscles are built.

Also, why does milk do that? Is it just because of sodium and carbs?

I've never really heard a good explanation of the theory usually it seems they blame the lactose (milk sugar) whenever I hear somebody mentioning it. I can't think of any way it would be possible to build the actual muscle differently so I would think it's a water retention thing.

Back