4 newbie questions

The last few years I've been a slob (not fat, but not fit/strong) I finally want to start working out and getting in shape.

I don't want to go extreme bodybuilding, I just want to gain some muscle (arms, legs, chest) and get into shape.

I have access to a large gym with treadmills, lots of machines, weights etc. Now I have a few questions that I really need answered, so if you have the time please help me out!

1) I heard that you should eat protein-containing food 1-2 hours before working out. Does it matter wether you eat protein before or after working out, and the timeframe? Also, does the food really matter (i.e. does a tuna/salami sandwhich suffice?), I don't really want protein shakes (too hardcore).

2) For working out, I was told that machines are not a very good way to start (i'm not sure why), but that I should use a benchpress because it trains several muscles at once and also trains your balance. Is this accurate?

3) How/when should I use dumbbells? I have a 8pound and a 15pound dumbbell...are these good for a beginner to work the biceps, say every 2 days?

4) Routine: how many times a week should I go to the gym, and for how long should I workout?

I would really appreciate any help / insight. I know nothing about bodybuilding, and I want to approach it right.

I think you'd be best off reading the weight training 101 sticky to be honest, that should tell you most of what you need to know

If you're looking to gain muscle and size just remember to eat as big as you lift, get lots of sleep and make sure you do your compounds like squats and bench. he weight training stiky goes into greater detail but 'eat,lift,eat,sleep' is basically all you need to know ;)

1) I heard that you should eat protein-containing food 1-2 hours before working out. Does it matter wether you eat protein before or after working out, and the timeframe? Also, does the food really matter (i.e. does a tuna/salami sandwhich suffice?), I don't really want protein shakes (too hardcore).

When it come to nutrition, it is all about eating WHOLE FOODS - things like Salami are processed - no good. Eat chicken breasts, Fish for good quality protein.

Post workout eating should be a combination of Carbs and protein. The only way the Protein can get into the muscle cell is using the Carb as a shuttle.

2) For working out, I was told that machines are not a very good way to start (i'm not sure why), but that I should use a benchpress because it trains several muscles at once and also trains your balance. Is this accurate?

If you are a beginner, machines are a good option because they help you learn the correct technique, and allow you to develope a little strength.

Free Weights are the best option, because they not only train your muscular system, but also your Neural system.

3) How/when should I use dumbbells? I have a 8pound and a 15pound dumbbell...are these good for a beginner to work the biceps, say every 2 days?

Yes - allow at least 24-36 hours for muscle recovery and adaption before working the same muscle group. Be sure to work all the muscles of the biceps group (Brachii, Brachialis, BrachioRadialis) - Regular curls, Hammer curls,

4) Routine: how many times a week should I go to the gym, and for how long should I workout?

There really is no right or wrong answer. The best advice I can give is to balance your training between these components of fitness:
1> Strength Training
2> Cardio-Vascular training
3> Flexibility training
4> NUTRITION is the key to optimal gains and performance.

Also, READ,READ,READ!

I think you'd be best off reading the weight training 101 sticky to be honest, that should tell you most of what you need to know

If you're looking to gain muscle and size just remember to eat as big as you lift, get lots of sleep and make sure you do your compounds like squats and bench. he weight training stiky goes into greater detail but 'eat,lift,eat,sleep' is basically all you need to know ;)

QFT. :xmas:

The last few years I've been a slob (not fat, but not fit/strong) I finally want to start working out and getting in shape.

I don't want to go extreme bodybuilding, I just want to gain some muscle (arms, legs, chest) and get into shape.

I have access to a large gym with treadmills, lots of machines, weights etc. Now I have a few questions that I really need answered, so if you have the time please help me out!

1) I heard that you should eat protein-containing food 1-2 hours before working out. Does it matter wether you eat protein before or after working out, and the timeframe? Also, does the food really matter (i.e. does a tuna/salami sandwhich suffice?), I don't really want protein shakes (too hardcore). Protein shakes are not considered hardcore at all. But whole foods are better for the simple facts they add vitamins and minerals. Timing of meals are very important. Obviously your not wanting to eat a large meal to close to when you have a workout planned. But about 1-2 hours before hand (depending on how large the meal). As far as postworkout, you need something with a simple sugar and a good amount of protein within 30 mins after your workout, which is why a protein shake would be perfect for that time.

I think machines are a terrible way to begin working out. You see a machine isnt made for each individual, its just to basic. I see people everyday making big mstakes on machines. Your best bet would be to get someone to teach you form and go from there. Keep your lifts compound and basic.

Since you have just started working out there really isnt a point in doing any direct bicep movements. Stick with the compounds like: Squats, deads, bench/pushups, pullups, etc....

Minimum of 3 times a week. Time-well try to limit it to around an hour, that just depends on intensity and rest periods.

I would really appreciate any help / insight. I know nothing about bodybuilding, and I want to approach it right.

Check out the bold

Drink protien shake before, and then eat your chicken/tuna after if you like. Hit the weights every other day - 45 mins, split routine alternating. On the days between do cardio - Sprint 8 program one day alternating with steady-state cardio the next. :)

Back