Facing my worst fear

As some of you might know from past posts I've made I have a major phobia of doctors, medical tests, procedures etc. It's not pain I'm afraid of, but it's facing my own mortality...I'm afraid they'll find something wrong with me. My bp is sometimes elevated, but I think it's likely because I'm afraid it will be and this stresses me out.

Well my wife works for a medical lab and they are offering a free workup ...blood panel etc...not only free, but you get a discount on your health insurance if you do it.

I'll probably go Friday. I'm nervous just typing this right now, but I'm not going to be a wuss. I'll go because I know I should. I haven't been to the doctor in about 3 years:(

I think we all have that fear to some degree. But you should be more worried about them finding something that could have been cured.

You got a wife and kids man. Don't mess around they all depend on you

Kudos for deciding to go in.

Gooch, find a hot female doctor. Then you might not mind the examinations :D

Seriously, guys, please go to the doctor for an annual check -- that means prostate, blood work, BP, etc. I would hate to find out that any of you became a statistic because of a fear of doctors ...

The bottom line is you don't fear doctors ... you fear what they're going to find (oh yeah ... and the finger up the @$$).

Think about what women go through. You guys have it easy ...

Don't you think that knowing your condition, if there is one, is better than having to stress out on the "possibility" that you "might" have something and would end up having to leave the family behind, on short notice, because you didn't do something about it sooner?

In any case, you look healthy and you take care of yourself.

When you walk out of the doctors office, you're going to be feeling pretty ****ing good and you probably will wonder why you haven't gone threw with this sooner.

I need to convince my father of doing the same, he hasn't been to a doctor in 5+ years and he is 54 years old and he needs a **** load of checkups before some **** happens and it hits him like a freight train out of no where.

P.S. I too am inflicted with a phobia, aka "agoraphobia" ie. Fear of public and/or new places. Or places which offer no easy means of escape if a situation would rise. I imagine this thing for you is just about as screwed up, if not more, than when I first walked into a gym. But as I said earlier, when I walked out of there - I nearly punched myself in the forehead for not going sooner, all the stress I had about this in the past could have been avoided if I would have just gone sooner.

Good luck man!

Think about what women go through. You guys have it easy ...

Sure we do. Do you have any idea what a finger up the ass does to a mans mind and pride?

:p

I hate to be a buzz kill, but it would be better if "anything" was wrong now then to let it go. Not saying at all that's the case, but take it from someone who let something go to long and paid the price. I'm sure everything will be fine!

Sure we do. Do you have any idea what a finger up the ass does to a mans mind and pride?

:p

Go to that nice, safe place and pretend it's your girlfriend :p

Yeah, I know it's not the most pleasant thing for you guys. But it's better than dying from Stage 4 prostate cancer ;)

Thanks for the moral support

I know if I look at it rationally it makes more sense to go, but phobias are irrational by definition.....but anyway...I'm going to man up and do it.

Finding a hot female doc with slender fingers would be a plus, ILM, good idea :)

....I think prostate exams generally start at age 40, so I still have 7 years to worry about that, but I did have to go to a proctologist once about 10 years ago...it ruined my life for about 2 weeks (I'm kind of kidding)

Thanks for the moral support

I know if I look at it rationally it makes more sense to go, but phobias are irrational by definition.....but anyway...I'm going to man up and do it.

Finding a hot female doc with slender fingers would be a plus, ILM, good idea :)

....I think prostate exams generally start at age 40, so I still have 7 years to worry about that, but I did have to go to a proctologist once about 10 years ago...it ruined my life for about 2 weeks (I'm kind of kidding)

Phobias are totally irrational. That's what makes them feel so horrible -- logically, you know they are irrational; but that doesn't make the phobia go away. Sometimes trying to analyze it only makes it worse ...

Geez. I could have been your doctor if I'd finished med school ... think of what I'm missing out on! I wouldn't have ruined your life for 2 weeks, either :D

Im like you matey. I get a pain in my bladder sometimes but I think its due to tight belts sometimes as I wear my jeans low :S I hate blood tests they make me want to pass out aswell. I have to have one once a year due to my diabeties well :(

A blood test makes you guys want to pass out? Why? They don't even hurt. It's not like you're having a serious blood letting session or anything :D

Don't look at the needle going in your arm. Breathe deeply ... close your eyes. It will be over in under a minute.

I wish I could give all you guys blood tests ... you'd all get a nice present on your way out, and you'd be coming back every year for more :D

A blood test makes you guys want to pass out? Why? They don't even hurt. It's not like you're having a serious blood letting session or anything :D

Don't look at the needle going in your arm. Breathe deeply ... close your eyes. It will be over in under a minute.

I wish I could give all you guys blood tests ... you'd all get a nice present on your way out, and you'd be coming back every year for more :D

Is that like a blood test with a happy ending?

On the positive side I perform a self testicular exam at least twice a week:D

I usually perform an exam every 2 hours.

Back