woodchopping exercise - which muscles worked?

I want to include the diagonal wood chopping exercise into my new program cause it looks like something different and diversified. Its the one performed on the cable machine, from right top to left lower side (and vice versa).

I saw this exercise in the book "The New Rules of Lifting" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. p177 if anyone has/is reading it too.

By the looks of the action I think it works mainly the obliques. With abs, lower back and lats worked to a lesser extent. I'm no expert just a keen weight trainer/trainee.

Can anyone here confirm or correct me?!

I would recommend using a kettlebell or a dumbell over cables, and would also recommend including vertical woodchoppers.

It's a total core workout. Rectus and transverse abdominals, obliques, hamstrings and I think back extensors too. The abdominals and obliques work as stabilizers and the hamstrings and back extensors as primary decelerators. Its a really difficult and effective exercise if done properly with a good weight and rep range. It works the lower back, lats, and delts a bit too, but that definitely isn't the primary function.

It's a very good exercise, and much more effective for your core than a crunch or side crunch or any other pathetic exercise could dream of being.

Woodchoppers have a much larger range of motion than your typical ab exercise (i.e., sit ups), therefore your entire core is activated. They are an awesome core strengthener, but the obliques definitely get hit pretty good.

Watch your form. You don't want too much twisting in the back. Go light at first until you've perfected your technique.

Crap. Limestix beat me to the punch :D

I would recommend using a kettlebell or a dumbell over cables, and would also recommend including vertical woodchoppers.

It's a total core workout. Rectus and transverse abdominals, obliques, hamstrings and I think back extensors too. The abdominals and obliques work as stabilizers and the hamstrings and back extensors as primary decelerators. Its a really difficult and effective exercise if done properly with a good weight and rep range. It works the lower back, lats, and delts a bit too, but that definitely isn't the primary function.

It's a very good exercise, and much more effective for your core than a crunch or side crunch or any other pathetic exercise could dream of being.

kettlebell or dumbbell over cables? that would be pretty odd, as the resistance with those is just straigth down, so you would get a lot of "side action"

Vertical wood choppers? what do you mean by that?

any time, any day :)
Yes, I also like using free weights too but for certain exercises it's best to go with the appropriate equipment. The woodchop is a diagonal movement from top right to lower left (and vice versa), this is only possible with the cable machine. I guess you could use free weights but it'll change the muscles worked or maybe even do damage.

I do them with cables, medicine balls, DBs and KBs. They all feel a bit different, so I like to switch them up.

Woodchoppers rock. I think I'm the only chick in the gym that does them. Not sure why ... they're great for the core.

When I do woodchoppers with a DB or a KB, I move the weight UP, not down. So it's like a reverse woodchopper.
?? You start with the KB/DB between your legs and go straight up along the length of your body? I don't see how you can go diagonal with the force of gravity pull the weight directly down ways.

No, not straight up. You stand with the KB between your legs (bent) and pull the KB up with straight arms and twist your torso to the right or left, then bring it back. You can't use a lot of weight. Your shoulders will definitely feel that one.

You can start with the KB in the "up" position and bring it down into a lunge as well. Those are tougher. I think those are called woodchopper lunges.

I think that would be a very different movement using emphasizing very different muscles than the cable woodchopper.

so no hip motion, only shoulder motion? That would just be a fancy way of saying front shoulder raises.. wouldn't it? You don't have a video or some pictures?

I use an old tire and hit it with a sledgehammer. I've slid some small weight plates up the handle of the hammer and used a piece of metal for a collar and some screws to make it around 19lbs. Google Sledgehammer workout for some sites, youtube has some as well. Great interval training.

Back