Most recent pics I have

Just an update, Steve. I think the bicep tendon tear was a little worse than previously thought, although I'm slowly getting there ;)

I've got another physio on Friday (November 7), so I'll see how things are progressing at that point in time. My problem is I have shoulder impingement, so we're trying to deal with that, too.

I'm a freaking train wreck :D But I'm loving every minute of the ride ;)

Last edited:
Steve, you write very well. Your thoughts with respect to Jared (and life in general) were so heartfelt and 100% true.

That article is a good wake-up call for a lot of people ...

You are very welcome, Steve.

UPDATE: I started doing bicep curls with 5 pound DBs last week, but apparently my shoulder doesn't want to rotate properly yet. The rehab exercise where you bend your arm at 90°, hold your elbow with a small ball squeezed underneath your arm and against your torso, then you take tubing in your hand and rotate your arm/shoulder outward ... I can't do it without having my tendon give me grief. Not only that, my ROM is horribly impaired now with that movement. It's about 65% of normal. I can barely get my arm to a 75° angle. Crap. If I hold my elbow next to my body, I can only move my arm out to a 45° angle. Yikes ... that's seriously impaired ROM. Hopefully I can get some of that back.

I'm up to 8 pounds now on the bicep curls ... seems so insignificant when I write it down. But I was ecstatic to hold a DB in my hand after 9 weeks of nothing :)

Last edited:
I've been given the go-ahead to do DB bench pressing, bent over rows, front and lateral raises, all with light weights. I'm up to 10 pound DB bicep curls on the crap arm. I can't believe how long this is taking. My biceps and delts have atrophied a bit as a result of minimal use.

I have been doing skullcrushers and tricep kick backs.

I'm really trying to be patient and to not push too hard too fast this time. My arm is feeling pretty good.

Steve, I'll let you know when I'm able to start with lat pull-downs, pull-ups and chin ups. I figure at that point in time, I'll be a lot closer to 100% than I am right now.

This has been a very b!tchy injury :(

Triceps get blasted with any compound pressing movement. If you're going do specific exercises though, to target the tris, I'd much sooner do skulls or close grip bench or the like.

Kickbacks just aren't a great exercise. The biomechanics of it are all screwed up.

The greatest tension is almost entirely at the point of peak contraction, and almost entirely absent at longer muscle lengths. Exercises which expose muscles to tension at greater muscle lengths (i.e. positions of stretch) are, in theory, the most conducive to hypertrophy.

And if you're simply interested in strength...

How much are you kicking back and how much are you pressing? What's going to have a great impact on strength of the tricep?

:)

Ahhhh, that makes sense to me. In fact, it's pretty obvious now that you've revealed it to me ;)

There's a huge difference between the weight I use in a kickback and the weight I press -- why didn't I think of that? :D

Triceps get blasted with any compound pressing movement. If you're going do specific exercises though, to target the tris, I'd much sooner do skulls or close grip bench or the like.

Kickbacks just aren't a great exercise. The biomechanics of it are all screwed up.

The greatest tension is almost entirely at the point of peak contraction, and almost entirely absent at longer muscle lengths. Exercises which expose muscles to tension at greater muscle lengths (i.e. positions of stretch) are, in theory, the most conducive to hypertrophy.

And if you're simply interested in strength...

How much are you kicking back and how much are you pressing? What's going to have a great impact on strength of the tricep?

:)

I do Close Grip Bench Press, and Skulls (with a tri-bar), and train heavy (6 to 8).

I currently do 4 sets, and here is why (the first heavy set is considered warm-up, so it doesn't count, so the net is 3 sets)

When I do Close Grip (the grip space is about 6 inches--approximately). I can get extreme wrist pain on the first set; however, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sets, it goes away. Its has always been that way, and never has gotten worse or created "functional" everyday problems. But every once in a while, it can inhibit the quality of the first set (the pain can be that great-but mysteriously disappears in the remaining sets). I have tried to warm-up with lighter weight with no avail. As soon as I put the load on, it is present the first set.

I have tried various wrist and grip exercises (some with weight and some not), and still the first set is a problem. I have refrained from getting wrists straps. Do you think I should get some? I don't like the idea in the sense :))), that its taking the load off the wrist, and may weaken it.

Maybe is just that I am friggen old....and they-be-yelling at-me. Blah, blah, blah. ;) Maybe I have to live it with, and slap it or something--damn it. I can get quite upset at times, when it hurts the quality of the set but I tend to push through it stubbornly.

This is the only problem I am experiencing currently. (Knocks on wood block: Chillen's head and being thankful)

Any suggestions, welcome Steve.

Thank you in advance.

Chillen

Last edited:
My first thought would be to get some trigger point therapy on your forearm. I had the exact same stuff going on with my elbow. I actually had surgery on my elbow with no prevail.

Then I asked my ART guy about it. He did ART on my forearms, biceps and shoulder and the pain vanished.

I now maintain what he did with a tennis ball.

The reason why my physio told me to do kickbacks was because I couldn't do any benching at all. She told me I can't even use the 45lb bar yet. I have to use DBs for now.

Should I really ditch the kickbacks, or should I keep doing them until I can actually push some decent weight on the BP?

I thought you were able to do DB bench and skullcrushers. Physio presumably knows best but if I could do skulls, I would not be doing kickbacks.

I've been able to do skulls for quite awhile now. I'll keep doing those and ditch the kickbacks.

When I said I couldn't do any benching, that was when I'd asked my physio about the kickbacks about 6 weeks ago ...

So yes, I can do DB bench, but I can't use very much weight yet. My physio actually wanted me to start out with 5lb DBs :speechless:. Well, I did 5lb for the first 10 ... then I picked up the 10lb DBs and did another 10 ... then I picked up the 15lb DBs and did another 10 and crossed my fingers. I waited a couple of days to see whether or not my arm hurt, and it didn't, so I'm up to 20lb DBs now. A far cry from "normal", but I'll take whatever I can can get right now :D

Personally, I'd rather be using a bar for BPs because picking up the DBs and getting them into position on the bench is a lot harder on my arm/shoulder than just pushing the bar. I have to get a guy to hand me the DB for my left arm once I'm in position.

On another note, my physio was horrified to learn that I'd been doing front, lateral and rear raises with 10lb DBs. She said it was way too much weight. I said it didn't hurt my shoulder/arm, so I was doing them anyway. Is 10lbs really that much weight for the anterior, lateral and posterior deltoid? I know I'm female ... but 10lbs doesn't feel like a lot of weight to me.

As always, thanks for letting me pick your brain, Steve :)

Back