Steve's Journal

Tuesday 10-14-08

Feeling a bit under the weather today. Throat is sore and glands are slightly swollen. This is a typical thing for me whenever I start working out again. You would think that after nearly 2 months of healthy eating that my immune system would be in better shape. Guess not. Oh well...will have some tea to help loosen up the phlegm and move on.

Weighed in this morning: 195 after my morning pee. Its nice to completely alter my eating habits and not lose 1 lb. joy! :)

Started morning off with a protein shake: 20 g protein, 130 calories

Breakfast: 1 bowl cinnamon harvest/strawberry fields w/ fresh blueberries and non-fat milk; vitamins; water.

2 cups green tea to help my throat out

Snack: Yogurt

Last edited:
I'm not going to even try to remember what I did all last week in terms of eating.

Was away from Thursday til late yesterday afternoon...Sox game and a weekend long bender. was fun, but now i am paying the price.

Anyway, moving on...

Monday 10-20-08

I'm about 2 weeks into not using Prilosec anymore. I can't say I've noticed a difference in regards to my overall health/well being aside from the nice painful heartburn I get on occasion. Oh well...it's better to not be on omeprazole.

Breakfast: Glass of OJ, Mixed bowl of Strawberry fields/Cinnamon harvest; vitamins; green tea for my horrible scratchy throat.

Yogurt, banana

Granola bar pre-lunch

Turkey on WW with mayo; apple

Protein shake (2 scoops) Using Nitrean Chocolate now. Got the shipment in last week. :)

Last edited:
I'm not going to even try to remember what I did all last week in terms of eating.

Was away from Thursday til late yesterday afternoon...Sox game and a weekend long bender. was fun, but now i am paying the price.

Anyway, moving on...

Monday 10-20-08

I'm about 2 weeks into not using Prilosec anymore. I can't say I've noticed a difference in regards to my overall health/well being aside from the nice painful heartburn I get on occasion. Oh well...it's better to not be on omeprazole.

Breakfast: Glass of OJ, Mixed bowl of Strawberry fields/Cinnamon harvest; vitamins; green tea for my horrible scratchy throat.

Yogurt, banana

Granola bar pre-lunch

Turkey on WW with mayo; apple

Protein shake (2 scoops) Using Nitrean Chocolate now. Got the shipment in last week. :)

Can you get some veggies in your diet?

What was this weekend long bender.....besides going to the game?

Keep plucken' at man!

Best wishes

Chillen

Can you get some veggies in your diet?

What was this weekend long bender.....besides going to the game?

Keep plucken' at man!

Best wishes

Chillen

Its a tradition that my fellow Bucknell graduates and I partake in during the Head of the Charles Regatta. It starts friday night as we all arrive and then restarts on Saturday morning and runs until we all crash on early Sunday morning. That'll be my last big weekend of drinking for a long time. I made the pledge to myself to cut back and keep focused.

Continuing todays log...

2nd granola bar snack at work

2 spoonfuls of cottage cheese before gym

quick workout at the gym (didn't have time between getting home and having to go pick up gf for a decent workout)

Dinner: Turkey beef burrito with red pepper, red onion, spices, some salsa and cheese on whole wheat wraps.

Tuesday: Feel like death.

Food was similar to almost every other day.

dinner was some left over burritoe meat and some salad that I had made on Sunday night.

Tuesday night: feel even more like death. *curls up in ball and passes out for 8 hours*

Wednesday: Feeling of impending doom is no longer present. Head is still stuffy, coughing slightly with sharp stabbing pains and occasionally sneezing. Managed to sleep from 11 to 7 with 1 quick pee break courtesy of my TheraFlu dose at about 2:30.

Breakfast: 2 spoonfuls of cottage cheese (not sure why some people don't like this so much...I can't find a reason not to like it); Bowl of strawberry fields/cinnamon harvest; vitamins; water

Snack: Banana, granola bar

Lunch: PB&J on WW; Apple; water

Snack: Granola bar

Pre-workout: 3 tbps cottage cheese (didn't get to investigate sodium content of whole foods CC...Sorry)

Workout:
-25 HITT on the Bike
-Bench press: 95x12, 105x12, 105x10 (failure); feel like jello after.
-Leg Press (reclined seat with weight rack at a 45 degree angle above my body) 2-45 lb plates 3x15; wanted go light so that my legs didn't freak out and spasm like when I did the lunges.
-Dumbbell Bench Press: 30's x12, 30's x12, 35's x11
-Calf Press: 130 lbs x 40, x 40, x 35
-Skull Crushers: Bar (can someone tell me the weight of the small bar with the angles) + 20 lbs 10x3
-Leg Curls: 70x15x3
-Core: Crunches 2x25, Bridges: Flat, Right, Left, Flat 30 seconds on 30 seconds off x 2, Crunches 1x25, Twisties w/6 lb Medicine ball 30x2
-Stretch

Post-workout: 2 scoops Nitrean Chocolate in non-fat milk (48 grams protein)

Dinner: 1 salmon Filet with cajun spices/old bay, 1/2 cup whole grain rice with fresh pepper, 1 cup mixed veggies (lima beans, string beans, corn, carrots)

Last edited:
Yeah the first question my gf asked me when she saw i had it in the fridge was "you like cottage cheese?!" I mean its not the greatest tasting thing in the world, but its certainly not a bad taste as i've gauged from some responses on here.

the sodium kills me though...in fact...everything has too much sodium..it's kind of ridiculous.

Yeah, that's what kills me. It's like sucking on a salt stick, and some tubs of cottage cheese seem to have more sodium than others.

I guess adding salt must be part of the process to make cottage cheese ...

Yeah, I wonder if CC at Whole Foods is any better? Maybe I'll make a run and find out after work. It's funny...I vowed to stop eating at Chipotle due to its high salt content and yet in the end I just cannot escape the damned sodium.

I was a salt sucker in a previous life. I absolutely love salt :)

I bet if I put a salt lick block out in the backyard, you'd see me licking it every now and then, just like the cows ...

I love salt.

updated yesterdays log with workout and remaining meals.

Last night was not a nice night. I got to bed later than I wanted to and the kitten was meowing her ****ing brains out and causing a ruckus. she eventually shut up and I got to sleep. I then managed to wake up coughing (not started coughing after i woke up, was coughing before i became aware that i was coughing) and spent another hour doing so. I think its possibly the after affects of inhaling the dust from the dry chem extinguisher than one of the jackholes in my department set off. Eventually stopped coughing but then the kittie started up again. PITA. She was sleeping in the litter box this morning...probably because she spilled all of the water on the nice warm and fluffy pillow that's in the cage...Dumbass.

Thursday 10-23-08

Breakfast: Strawberry Fields/Cinnamon Harvest cereal in non-fat milk; vitamins; water; banana

Snack: Yogurt; 2 cups of tea

Lunch: Water; Ham and Turkey on WW; Apple; granola bar; 1 scoop protein shake.

I am still coughing...i hope it stops sometime soon.

Snack: Banana; granola bar

Dinner: nothing til I got home at 10. Ate left over turkey burrito meat.

Getting to bed late this night...the kitten debacle has me all screwed up and upset. not the way you want to end a day or week. oh well..

Last edited:
Friday 10-24-08

Woke up feeling absolutely exhausted. Was up until about 1:30 after the kitten incident. Up late this morning. Get into work around 8. Still feeling like crap. This is some cold. Coughing is still there....it's deep seeded in my lungs.

Breakfast: Bagel with butter; water; tea; vitamins

Snack: Yogurt; water; more tea; granola bar; banana

Lunch: Ham w/ mayo on WW; apple; water

Snack: granola bar

Dinner: 1 slice of american hero; water; 2 cookies

Night time snack: 1 Hot dog (was on standby for another fire department so we were up and active until 12:30.

Didn't get a gym workout in.

Saturday 10-25-08

Up early and down to Princeton for the girlfriends job thingy at walmart. bored as hell all day.

Breakfast: Bowl of special k with almonds; 1/2 yogurt; water

Snack: 1/2 stick of some crappy ass weight watchers string cheese

Lunch: 1/2 quesadilla, cajun chicken sandwich on whole wheat bun; water

Dinner: 1 scoop of pasta in red sauce

Had a Halloween party Saturday night. Drank like a fish. I think it's my last big event until my birthday in December...definitely did not help my weight loss efforts.

Sunday: Up at 9:30 for Fire School. Trying out some new extrication tools from TNT. Spend about 75 minutes cutting a POS neon in half :D. Sweat out the remaining alcohol in my system but still feel like poop.

Lunch: Half a bowl of campbells chili...still wasn't up to eating; water

Dinner: 2 bowls tuna casserole; water; 1 piece of apple galette (home made early)

Water
Water
Water

Monday 10-27-08

Breakfast: 1 Jumbo Pumpkin Spice Muffin (homemade); 1 bowl Cinnamon Harvest/Strawberry Fields; strawberry-banana juice; water

Snack: Yogurt; granola bar; water

Lunch: Ham/Turkey sandwich w/ mustard; apple; water

Snack: Protein Shake 2-30g scoops; granola bar

Preworkout: few chips with humus

Workout:

10 minute warm-up on bike
Pull-ups: BWx6,4,3
Seated Row: 80x10x3
DB Row: 40's x 10,12, 12
DB Shrugs: 35'sx12, 40'sx12. 40'sx12
DB Raises (Supersets): 5lbx12 Front 10 lb x 15 Sides; 10x15 front 10x8 side (Failure)
Curls: 40x12, 50x12, 50x8 (failure)
Upright Row: 30x12, 40x12
Core: Planks 45 on 30 off Flat, 30 on 30 off Right, 30 on 30 off Left x 2; 2x30 seconds leg holds (6 inch raise); 30 seconds swimmer kicks; 30 seconds over-unders; 2x15 crunches, 1x20 toe touchers

Post-workout: 2 30 gram scoops protein powder

Dinner: Breaded chicken breast, 1/2 cup whole grain rice, 1/2 red pepper, 1/4 red onion; water

Glass of OJ

Last edited:
Tuesday 10-28-08

got to bed late again last night and to compound that had a rescue call at 0015 hours and didn't get home until 0145. Stupid paramedics like to talk too much...

Up late for work, around 7. Snooze was a tempting thing...after 1:15 of hitting it I decided to get up.

Can feel the soreness already kicking in from yesterday. My lats took a beating. My abs are not far behind I fear. MMMMMMMMM FEELS GOOD!

Breakfast: 1 bowl cinnamon harvest/strawberry fields; cup of green tea; glass of pomegranate juice; about to bite into a pumpkin spice muffin; forgot to bring my vitamins with me to work...damn; water

Snack: Yogurt

Lunch: Ham on WW w/ Mayo; Apple; Granola bar; Protein shake, 1 30 g scoop w/non-fat milk

Snack: Banana; Granola Bar

Dinner: Leftover chicken breast; 3 spoonfuls of 1% Milk fat Cottage Cheese

Does anyone have any critiquing for me? I'm looking for some guidance in my workout plans and eating habits. Chillen commented last week about veggies but I haven't heard anything more from him on the matter. Anyone have advice on my food intakes?

Last edited:
The only thing I'd suggest is to add some protein at breakfast. Right now it looks like it's pretty much 100% carbs.

Until you start eating protein, your body will cannibalize your muscle tissue for amino acids. You're already depleted from your last meal the night before. Don't give your body the chance to take away your hard-earned gains :)

Rule of thumb: any time you eat carbs, eat protein, too ;)

My breakfasts usually consist of 20-25gms of protein and 20gms of carbs (1 slice wholegrain toast or substitute) plus butter (or peanut/almond butter) and EFAs. Not that that's an optimal breakfast, but I eat protein any time I stuff something into my face.

Thanks for the info ILM. I guess you're right, there is no protein in my morning meal. I have a simple solution for that. Hard boiled eggs. :)

In other news during the rescue call last night I put on my jeans sans belt. wouldn't ya know it...they were practically sliding off me. Now I haven't lost any weight at all from what I can tell. I weighed in on Monday morning on the gf's scale at 192.5 but I might have still be dehydrated from the weekend. Hopefully I am losing some fat, gaining some muscle and holding a steady weight because of it. :)

Yes, I was excited. The belt has actually been 1 notch tighter too. After 2 months of near healthy eating and now a few weeks of working out I would hope something starts to show.

Back