Sport body fat advice

Sport Fitness
My current body fat is 18.5%. I want to get it down to 10. I weigh 185 and I workout vigorously everyday. I am guessing i burn about 600 calories on a daily basis through my workouts. From weight training, to cardio, to yoga, and plyometrics.
My typical diet consists of a breakfast of oatmeal, yogurt, banana, and a :)protein shake. I have a fiber bar snack, for lunch i usually have some type of chicken, usually a grilled chicken pita, i have another fiber bar snack, get home and workout, do a protein shake, and for dinner i usually do about 2 regular cans of tuna, or a chopped salad and some veggies.
If i want to get down to 10%, I am curious as to how many calories a day i should have. I want to get very serious and start tracking. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi, glad to hear you're getting serious about your fitness and physique!

You should read the Nutrition 101 sticky, as it will explain how to calculate your daily calorie needs (based on gender, height, weight, age, and activity level). Once you get that number, I would recommend eating 500 calories BELOW that limit. This is the one irrevocable law: to drop body fat, you must eat below your maintenance level.

Your diet acutally looks pretty good. I would recommend trading out the snack bars for some whole foods, like nuts, fruit, etc. (I know bars are more convenient; just be careful to not rely on them daily.) And if you're cutting, you might want to ditch either the yogurt or the banana in the morning (or just half-size the portions). Be sure to keep track of your calories accurately (you can use fitday.com or another similar website).

I'm not sure how old you are, but when I was 19 I made a similar commitment to fitness. I went from 20+% body fat to 8% in a little over a year. So be encouraged; you can definitely do it. CONSISTENCY is the key. Take it one day at a time, and in a year you will look back and be SO glad you made the daily sacrifices. Best wishes!

you say you work out vigerously..and burn about 600 calories..

your not going to lose weight if your eating more than that.

you need to burn more calories than u eat..so work out longer..and well harder ^.^

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it. I will read the nutrition 101 to figure out the calorie adjustments I need to make. And thanks for the web site underpar, I will be checking it out.

FYI: For the last 10 weeks I have been doing the P90X workout religiously from Tony Horton. At first I was skeptical, cuz you see all the infomercials on TV and think most if not all are b$. I am 36, and what prompted me was a simple fitness test, which I could only do about 17 push-ups. I was sickened that at my age that was all I could do. My strength has increased dramatically, now I can crank out around 45-60 in one sitting like nothing. And throughout a one-hour session, anywhere from 150-225. So it must be working. I made a 1" gain on my biceps and my chest too (I am not sure of that is great, but I am happy with it). Also I was one of those guys who thought yoga was a bunch of crap, but that is one of the most intense, sweat-induced workouts I have erver done. I recommend it to anyone, especially for the strength, balance, and toning aspects it offers.

hey underpar, just wonderin if you could double-check somethin for me. Not that i am a dummy, just want to be sure i did this right - For my bmr:

bmr=66+(6.23*185lbs)+(12.7*72"tall)-(6.8*36yrs)
66 + 1152.55 + 914.4 - 244.8 = 1888.15
1888.15 * 1.6 activity level = 3021.04

So if I did between 2400-2450 calories a day, I should be good to go correct?

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

hey underpar, just wonderin if you could double-check somethin for me. Not that i am a dummy, just want to be sure i did this right - For my bmr:

Your inputs and your math look spot on. So yes, 2400-2500 calories should be a perfect daily number for you.

A couple more things... From my own experience, the BIGGEST factor (nutritionally) for my dramatic physical transformation was firing up my metabolism. I did this by eating first thing in the morning and then following that with six more small meals (evenly spaced), making a total of seven meals every day. I'm not sure if you do this already, but the key is to eat OFTEN, like every 2-3 hours. Keep your body working to digest that food, which will in turn boost your metabolism. You want to turn your body into a calorie-burning machine. Second, I like the fitness routine you've been doing. I think a lot of us tend to over-analyze each other's programs, when really it's all quite simple: if you work each muscle group to fatigue on a consistent basis, you WILL see improvement. It sounds like you're doing that, so keep at it!

To kaitos, if I understood correctly, your comment was borderline ignorant. It seemed like you said he won't lose weight if he's eating more than 600 calories. He said he's burning 600 calories during his daily workout alone - just a small fraction of his daily total! As long as he's eating less than 3000 calories, he will lose weight. Period.

And, within your journey, I want you to think about this as well:

I originally wrote this for someone else, but I think you can obtain some value.

Getting to sub 10% body fat can be problematic, but it doesn’t have to be, if "the mind adjusts" along with the "adjoined bodily adaption's".

Never look through "stained glass windows". Keep your vision clear, your enemy near, your assets in gear, and your goal will appear.

(Chillen)

The body is: The Ultimate Adapting Master:​

Dont learn about bodily adaption: Mentally strapped and you get trapped.

Do learn about bodily adaption: Weight loss is tapped and plateau's are scrapped

Some dieters and exercisers tend to forget that the body, though having no mind, knows practically everything that happens to it and will adapt and overcome nearly anything it experiences through its design intention; its designed to survive.

Chillen's perception of weightlifting palm calluses, may you never look at them same again:

Let's take a look at a weight lifter; look at their hands. If they do not wear gloves an extraordinary adaption process is taking place rather quietly. Overtime calluses develop. These calluses are the bodies adaption mechanism in action in clear view of the weightlifter. This adaption process is taking place because the body is recognizing the demand placed on the palm of the hands, and improves its cell division process by adding more skin cells to the effected area to toughen the skin.

If the weight lifter wears gloves there is no reason to adapt. If the weight lifter doesn't wear gloves, there is a reason for the body to adapt. This analogy is an essential element to remember in fat loss and muscle growth.

Perception is a key weapon in one's knowledge search. While the example of palm calluses may appear to be a rather simple and normal process, and discarded by some, but what one doesn’t realize is that a similar adaption process is continually occurring inside the body when one diets and exercises for fitness. The body adapts and overcomes nearly all demands placed upon it. It does not matter where, when, how, or who; it knows and consequently, it adapts.

It will adapt psychologically, physically, biologically, and emotionally (to name a few), all the while the mind is the separate unit being affected and effected by them. These aforementioned feedback mechanisms from the body have to be correctly filtered, through correct knowledge and application of this knowledge. It is this feedback that can doom many to personal goal failure.

Correct perception of this truth will awaken one's soul within their goal.

Having "some" body fat is essential, and by its very design the body knows that body fat is essential to its survival and health.

Some simple facts about fat and muscle growth:

1. Physical activity isn't required for fat tissue growth, one can literally just eat and do nothing. Activity level is lower than calories consumed--in a simple sense, and assuming the person has a healthy body composite.

2. Physical activity is required for muscle/strength growth-post youth-growth period. One cannot just eat and do nothing. Calories DO NOT "necessarily" need to be in a surplus (as this will largely depend on the person and their prior history of diet and activity-{u]think new to diet and fitness gains[/u]), but it will eventually lead into surplus requirement for optimal muscle growth.

It is just simply easier to put on fat tissue than it is to put on some muscle tissue, IMO. (Though there are some whom have difficulties in gaining weight).

Its logic really: Muscle tissues are designed for physical movement while fat tissues are not designed for physical movement but rather a biological energy provider for movement, living function, and some organ cushioning purposes. Muscle tissue is the movement provider while fat tissue can be the energy provider and reserve place to get it when energy runs low. The body will prefer to go to its sugar stores and fat tissue stores for energy when in deficit, but will go to the movement providers if the situation presents itself.

Therefore we have the body's desire to use its sugar stores, body fat, and as a resentful (and sometimes purposeful) act, its muscle tissue (which are more nutritionally dense) for survival, and its based upon its clear and defined ability to adapt and overcome internal and external stresses it is experiencing.

With this in mind, it should be "no surprise" that when body fat drops to sub 10% (or something applicable) that the body will begin to fight and resist one's efforts. The body recognizes that the fat reserve is getting low--and if one acknowledges its design intention, this is going to leave the body with few alternatives to deal with deficits (energy shortages), and bring in some new biological adaption techniques to the framework in the attempt to hold on to its critical fat reserve.

It is fundamentally critical not to put a blanket on everyone, because what they have been doing and not been doing can play a critical role on the decision applied on what to do.

For example, a person A with a rather high body fat, used to a rather high calorie content, low activity level, and dependent on gender and body weight will have a higher calorie need to maintain. When a person then "changes" calorie consumption and activity, the body's adaption process kicks in real strong (when applying simple "basics")--because of the prior history of adapting to what has been applied before.

The strength of the adaption process in this situation can vary person to person, but its generally very short as the body will adapt rather quickly to this new stimulus.

In this situation, the fat tissue is not in limited quantities, the activity level gives the body a reason to get stronger when comparing its previous level of activity, and the calories consumed are markedly different than what the body---had previously adapted to. All of these ingredients add up to something very positive when applying some simple basic techniques. It is very similar to the calluses of the hand scenario I talked about at first. First the changes are not scene by the naked eye--but over time the bodily adaption process is visually scene.

Therefore, the bodily adaption process can depend to a large degree what the person had been or had not been doing in diet and fitness.

Lets take this to another perspective:

In our economic society, it isn't normally considered a good fiscal year unless there is a profit made from one fiscal year to the next. The body's adaption process is sort of like that (perception is key). In order for the person to profit the person has to give the body a reason to function away from wanting to stay the same and likewise personally profit:

For example, lets say a person B has been dieting for long periods of time and has very low body fat. Lets say his MT Line is 2500, and he has been running deficits around 1800 (or for example, just barely above biological calorie function level). Lets say this person has been doing this calorie activity for about 8 weeks and has been experience some weight loss. In addition, lets assume he has been progressive in fitness activities, but the level of activities are relatively unchanged or are constant in nature.

This is a breading ground for unique bodily adaption--as it doesn’t NOT take long before the body adapts to external and internal stressed applied.

The body will adapt to the same level of activities and calories. It will lower certain internal mechanisms (to survive)--and still meet the demands placed upon it. In other words, the body adjusts (to survive certain things it covets), and will still keep it fat stores it personally prizes.

Some get to this point and get frustrated when fat loss progression stops because they do not really understand what is taking place. Just like a business may have to change strategy to bring about a business profit, so does the diet and fitness exerciser--one must adapt to bodily changing conditions, as one just took place.

Simply, one has to do more to get more in a situation like this: Since the body adjusted to the calories, the calories have to change. Since the body adjusted to the activities one has to adjust this to bring about additional change. And, it can be a function of manipulating both interchangeably. If this does not take place, and everything remains the same, there will be no change, as the body has no reason to change from its present course of adaption. One has to steer it and give it a reason without thinking it needs to provide internal mechanisms to survive, and keep its fat energy store it so strongly covets. This is the reason why body fat loss sub 10% can be so difficult to some:

1. When body fat is severely low, the body covets fat energy stores and believes its essential to its survival.
2. The body adapted to calorie and activity levels and made adjustments to survive and will make it difficult to lose additional fat tissue because of (number 1), and this adaption process. The body can become very lethargic and energy efficient in an effort to stay alive. This one of the primary reasons why the body will convert other macronutrients when deficient in another macronutrient. Its adapting. Its adapting to a shortage to meet living demands and other demands placed upon it.

Lets expand on the macronutrients for a moment within Person B: Isnt true that IF one were to attempt to do a low carb (or KETO) in this type of situation, this would be a MAJOR change in the internal consumption environment? Answer: Yes. The body adapts by a macronutrient conversion process, and if one were to manipulate activity at the same time (properly) this is a change that COULD bring forth additional fat loss. Thus the POWER of knowing about body adaption.

To continue fat loss within this type of environment one has to attempt to remove the survival mechanism, adjust their calorie consumption (and/or macronutrients, with knowledge on how), and activity levels accordingly to develop additional fat loss below 10%. While we cannot provide a blanket for all, this situation has been experienced by a lot of persons, and I am one of them.

I have been successful, in getting sub 10%, by recognizing the essential adaption issues that really applies to all of us--in varying forms one way or the other. If you have read some of my rather long posts on myself (and for other members) you should see that I love to manipulate calories and exercise together. I have preached that this is a power combination and has no equal. This power combination is served with a groundwork of tools to work with: 1. The Diet Journal, 2. Weight Training Journal, and 3. A Personal Diary(mental thoughts, etc).

(Chillen)

May everyone fully grasp the bodily adapting mechanic we all possess! Open up the mind--let it unwind--BABY!

FEEL ITS THUNDER! It will never let you go under to blunder. I promise.

Much peace and happiness to all of you each and every day of your life!

Best wishes to you!

Chillen

Last edited:
Nice

A big thank you!!! I appreciate you checkn that for me underpar. And chillen, excellent stuff. Your timely responses are much appreciated. I will try not to bug you guys to often, however, I am still in the learning phase. Anyway, you guys have a great day, and thanks again...gotta go do some Kenpo!!! eYAEH YEAH..

Damn..u r seriously ripped chillen..frickn awesome!!

I disagree, I'd like to see people with a deficit of around 300-400 instead of being so dangerously close to the 500 plus mark, which begins to put you into starvation mode and slows down your metabolism in an attempt to halt or minimise your deficit.

I disagree, I'd like to see people with a deficit of around 300-400 instead of being so dangerously close to the 500 plus mark, which begins to put you into starvation mode and slows down your metabolism in an attempt to halt or minimise your deficit.
I understand your concern, but as long as he eats OFTEN (about every 2 hours) and keeps his calorie count around 2400-2500, there's no way his body will go into starvation mode.

I mean, seriously, is a difference of 100 calories going to move him from "perfect cutting range" to "dangerous starvation mode"? I think not. Again, let's just keep it simple: eat often, eat at a deficit, watch the fat burn off.

Last edited:

Alwyn Cosgrove and Mike Roussell (two prominent 'gurus' of fat loss and performance enhancement in the fitness world) have just put out a book with rationale and scientific evidence behind why that ~1-2lbs/week thing is a myth.

There's some really good information here. I hope things are going well for you P9OXer since 2008 when you first posted

The best thing I've ever done to get my body fat down to single digits is go on the warrior diet. Its controversial and would be a huge change from what your used to, but the results speak for themself, and the benefits are amazing. Heres a link if you want to check it out.

I question the afternoon protein shake, and would cut it out of the diet, if it were me.

I am a bit over 6' tall and weigh 169 lbs., 42 yr old male. Running 10-12 miles per week, weights once per week and food portion control got me where I am. Here is my typical diet:

Breakfast: 3 sausage links and 2 packets of low sugar instant oatmeal
Mid morning: banana
Lunch: turkey sandwich on whole wheat, small portion of corn chips
Mid afternoon: two nutri-grain type snack bars
Dinner: moderate portions of meat, grain and vegetable. i.e. pork loin, rice, peas and salad
Evening: small bowl of Cheerios with skim milk

I am not a body building competitor with ultra-low body fat, but I am one of the most fit people with whom I come into contact. Good luck with your journey.

Some advice : you need to do 200 minutes of cardio a week. Remember fat does not turn into muscle, so you need to lose your fat while putting on muscle. The 45 minute thing is not true, but don't over 60 minutes at a time.

Back