computer trouble

My trouble is with the webcam.
I have an asus z53E laptop, windows XP, with built in webcam.

The problem is extremely strange!
Mostly because what I will tell you will rule out every possible cause you can think of. :(

The problem: Not too easy to explain, but the webcam sort of runs like a VERY SLOW snail, moves like a VERY CLUMBSY sloth, whatever analogy works best for ya.

Firstly I had this same problem with an earlier laptop from the shop (exact same model), the problem for that one appeared to begin the moment I tried to use it on msn messenger, just a few days after getting it, perhaps a coincidence that the problem occured when I tried to test it on msn, I honestly don't know. The webcam had worked fine up till that point.
I think I tried reinstalling the OS and found it didn't fix it. Returned the laptop for the current one.

This laptop had it for about a month now. My memory is vague (feels like a dream) on this but.. I think reinstalled the OS for this laptop, when the problem occured about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I didn't expect it to work, because it didn't fix the problem for the other laptop when I reinstalled the OS for that one. But this time it did work! and up till just a few days ago it had been going pretty fine...

The webcam problem doesn't appear to be caused by anything in particular although I remember noticing that it happened when I went upstairs and it was on battery power. But when plugged into power supply later it worked fine again, I thought to myself great, now I what causes the problem
Well no. It's been plugged into power supply for a few days now, I rebooted the laptop as many as 10 times... didn't help. :(
Yes I checked the battery icon all the time as I tried it and most of the time it was on ac power... so making sure it's on ac power and plugged in isn't the solution for this, however I still don't think the webcam will work on battery power... I don't care though!

Now what you will find really strange and so did I, is that when I held down alt ctrl delete the webcam works at about normal speed... but if you try holding down alt ctrl delete for about 10 seconds and then spend the next 3 minutes closing the task manager tabs, you will see that this is no solution!

I am not a computer expert at all, please does anyone have some clues as to what the hell is going on???

Oh and if this topic is not approved or whatever, PLEASE LOCK IT, DO NOT DELETE (i would like to paste this around other places on the net, without having to write this crap all again)

Last edited:
The webcam moves slow?

Your CPU (or possibly ram) may not have the juice to power everything you have running and the web cam at the same time...

Try disabling unneeded services and process from starting up. Use ctrl+alt+delete before turning on the web cam to disable processes you don't need.

I have the same laptop and the webcam is crap when other stuff is running. I dont use it though because I dont have much use for it.

What Cycle settings do you have set for when the laptop is running on battery versus AC power? By default some laptops when running on battery power, will power down the CPU (50% in some cases), decrease the brightness of the LCD, etc. Additionaly, if the settings are incorrect when in AC mode, this can and will effect performance of all hardware though you are running on full AC power.

Chillen

If the webcam runs slowly in applications like MSN or other internet based applications that require bandwidth, this might be caused because either you are unable to upload the stream with the necessary upstream speed, the recipient of the stream is is unable to download the stream with its maximum speed, or the application server on which you're trying to show your webcam is slow.
If you have a slow or crappy internet connection these problems are very possible.
But these days noone has slow internet connections

Here's one way to check if this is causing the problem:
On windows live messenger (aka MSN) do the following: (You need to be logged in to do this)
Go to: Tools -> Audio and Video Settings
The first screen is for audio which is not relevant here, so just click next, when you click next a screen will appear showing what is displayed on the webcam. If your webcam is very slow on this screen than the internet connection isn't the problem, it's something else.
If your webcam runs with no problems meaning - normally and smoothly on this screen then most probably your webcam is okay, but there might a problem with your internet connection or MSN, meaning it's probably not hardware causing the problems, but it's software and/or internet connection

MSN has never been good for webcam streaming

Last edited:
If the webcam runs slowly in applications like MSN or other internet based applications that require bandwidth, this might be caused because either you are unable to upload the stream with the necessary upstream speed, the recipient of the stream is is unable to download the stream with its maximum speed, or the application server on which you're trying to show your webcam is slow.
If you have a slow or crappy internet connection these problems are very possible.
But these days noone has slow internet connections

Here's one way to check if this is causing the problem:
On windows live messenger (aka MSN) do the following: (You need to be logged in to do this)
Go to: Tools -> Audio and Video Settings
The first screen is for audio which is not relevant here, so just click next, when you click next a screen will appear showing what is displayed on the webcam. If your webcam is very slow on this screen than the internet connection isn't the problem, it's something else.
If your webcam runs with no problems meaning - normally and smoothly on this screen then most probably your webcam is okay, but there might a problem with your internet connection or MSN, meaning it's probably not hardware causing the problems, but it's software and/or internet connection

MSN has never been good for webcam streaming

way off the mark...

Your CPU (or possibly ram) may not have the juice to power everything you have running and the web cam at the same time...
Every time I've had these webcam issues it has been a very sudden thing, not a measurable amount of slow. Either sloth like or normal, with no inbetween.
Well I was too modest before, it's not simply running slowly but it's more like a constant freezing. For about every 1.5 seconds of freezing the webcam thing refreshes. For that reason, I REALLY don't think it's a ram issue, my lappy has massive amounts of ram anyway! 1 gig of ram normally, but at the shop or somewhere for some reason they added a second gig of ram.

What Cycle settings do you have set for when the laptop is running on battery versus AC power? By default some laptops when running on battery power, will power down the CPU (50% in some cases), decrease the brightness of the LCD, etc. Additionaly, if the settings are incorrect when in AC mode, this can and will effect performance of all hardware though you are running on full AC power.

Well I thought the exact same sort of thing myself and I'm glad you asked! problem is I can't find those particular settings information stuff. I've looked all over and several times, I just don't where the hell those things are hiding. I really need help with finding them cuz I've just about given up. please.... *beg*

Last edited:
Like OMG!

To adjust brightness, it differs on each computer depending on the graphics card.

To do it on the laptop, it's usually one of the "function" keys. Hold Fn, then look for a key that looks like a sun.

To do it on the computer. Right click on desktop, click properties, click Settings. You'll see a way to adjust your resolution, etc. On the bottom right, above the Ok and cancel buttons, you should see "Advance." Click this and look around to see if your graphic card allows you to adjust brightness.

Also, sometimes vendors (such as ATI) places an icon on your task bar. It's located where the clock is at. Click the bold "<<" button to show hidden icons, and hover ove the icons to see if you can spot your vendor. This doesn't always work since not all graphic cards do this or enabled.

You can also look inside your Control Panel to see if you can spot the settings for your graphic cards. It will be under the vendor name. Usually laptops have ATI or an internal brand name such as Intel Graphics or something.

To adjust CPU speed when in battery vs cable do the following:

On the taskbar, there should be either a plug or battery depending on whether or not you are actually using the battery or plug. Double click that icon, and adjust the settings.

k, adjusted the brightness settings just fine with the fn key just like you said... nothing wrong with my brightness settings though. Only wanted to know where I could adjust them cuz I thought there I would find the kinds of things that I really am looking for. :(
On the taskbar, there should be either a plug or battery depending on whether or not you are actually using the battery or plug. Double click that icon, and adjust the settings.

Well I'm very familiar with this stupid damned icon, on my lappy the icon/program thingy... its called power battery, but on my lappy there are no settings to adjust, just very limited and useless info when double clicked, basically just the name of the battery, nothing more.
Now I really need you to think cuz this is the most important thing, where the hell do I find cpu info/settings???

hmm I'm not sure if it's my graphics card or not but in the control panel I see a "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator"... it has a few options, rather trivial things, they're all set to default. This is not what I'm interested in.

To do it on the computer. Right click on desktop, click properties, click Settings. You'll see a way to adjust your resolution, etc. On the bottom right, above the Ok and cancel buttons, you should see "Advance." Click this and look around to see if your graphic card allows you to adjust brightness.
Nope no brightness setting there. :p

Last edited:
Back