Healthier I get, the less sleep I need?

Hi All,

I am 21 years old male and quite inactive I must say.

I need 9 hours per night of sleep at least and I can sleep up to 11 hours if I have time.

Would you say that if I start exercising and start becoming fitter, I would need less sleep?

Hi All,

I am 21 years old male and quite inactive I must say.

I need 9 hours per night of sleep at least and I can sleep up to 11 hours if I have time.

Would you say that if I start exercising and start becoming fitter, I would need less sleep?

Sleep is important whether one is weight training or doing other forms of fitness training or not. With this said, sleep is vital to one training as this is the main portion of time the body uses to recuperate and rebuild itself. Always "try" to get at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep per night. Appropriate sleep time can vary between individuals, but always try to get what you can.

Best wishes in all that you do in life and in fitness,

Chillen

if you are able to stay in bed for 11 hours, then you may be over sleeping. i recommend getting up when you wake up the first time. if you lay in bed, enjoying the warmth of your bed, you will eventually fall back to sleep ... but this isn't good sleep. you will then likely feel groggy for the better part of the morning. if you go to bed at a regular time and get a good 7-8 hours of sleep, you will find that will be come normal ... your body likes routine.

I think sticking to getting 7 to 8 hours sleeps daily is the optimum you can go for; and should definitely not be reduced even if you get fitter. On the other hand you will probably feel low and un-motivated should you reduce the amount of sleep. Now sleeping a lot.. from my personal experience, over sleeping, or having a lie-in seriously unmotivates me. It kind of starts off the day in 'lazy mode' and I kind end up sticking to that! =P

Back