Well, I made it over here.

In advance: Sorry for the novel, if you hate reading, move on.

I've lurked for a bit and finally decided to register. After trying to figure things out on my own it really hasn't worked. I am disgusted in myself for letting myself get the way I am. Seeing myself getting bigger, or lately, not any smaller (maybe 1lb/week), doens't help my self esteem.

I decided that now is the time to get back to what I once was. I was once a person who played baseball, football, and other physical activities. When I graduated (highschool) I went to college and started working full-time and my physical activities started to diminish. I then turned 21 and found my lovely beer drinking habit that was easily 3-4 nights per week. The pounds added on quickly, and mixed with working a desk job and lack of excercize it just compounded over the last 2-3 years.

Since then, I also got married, and had my son. I want to change for myself, for my wife, and for my son. I want to be healthy when he starts running around or wanting to play sports. I don't want to be winded or tired. I want to be motivation and inspiration to him. I know it will take time, but I am going to give it my best shot.

In addition, my wife is about 30lbs heavier than she was before she got pregnant. She was 135 before she was pregnant (perfect for her body), went up to 185lbs, then was down to 150lbs a month after birth. Now, she is back up to 165lbs. I try to talk about our issues and she pushes them aside. The last thing I want her to feel is unattractive to me as that may make matters worse. What I am trying to do is lead by example. That way if I am getting in better shape it may inspire her to join me - which will be difficult when we have a 17 month old. What is truly depressing is that my wife gave herself 1 year to get back to her prepregnancy weight... and she is way passed that year and in worse shape now... she won't awknowledge it. :(

Anyways, I quit smoking 6 days ago. I have done this numerous times and I actually start smoking about 2 weeks after in most circumstances. After 4-5 days I start coughing like crazy and these nasty plegm balls come up. It is really gross, but it happens. I usually will then get the sweats really bad and I get sick. As soon as I light up those symptoms go away. I am not sure what the hell is wrong with me... but I hope that my workout routine will compliment my (future) healthier lungs.

I've heard people say I have a "great frame" for lifting, but not quite sure what they meant. I am one of those people that have "chicken legs" that look very toned and then have broad shoulders and a larger upper body. My fat isn't anywhere below my plumbing. It's all in my mid section, upper chest, and small love handles. I feel like it is all going to the same location... and I started to get small stretch marks. :eek:

Here are my hurdles. I have very flat feet and running is painful. I can walk many miles, but that gets boring to me. If I run the impact will make my feet sore around the mile mark. On the other hand, I love biking and would rather bike 10 miles than run 1. I also had hand surgery when I was a baby and my hand strength is going to be less than the rest of you. This also makes free weights extremely hard to deal with - which means I get to use machines. I don't have a home gym or any weights for home so that means I will use what Lifetime can provide me.

With that being said here are my vitals:

25 years old
BMI: No idea
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 233.5lbs
Waist: 40-42 :(

My diet right now is based on losing some weight. I eat what my wife gives me. I know it is based around some Weight Watchers point system. I eat the same thing 5 days per week. Here it is:

Breakfast (8:30am): 1 whole wheat bagel with cream cheese and whole apple.

Lunch (12pm): 2 slices of wheat bread, 2 slices of Kraft singles, very light layer of light mayo, slices turkey. 10 baby carrots and 10 grape tomatos with hummus (?) dip. 7 small crackers with sliced cheese (sorta like Lunchables), and one light strawberry yogurt.

Dinner (6pm): Usually some sort of pasta, chicken breast, some meal with ground turkey meat, some sort of steamed veggies, and I usually overeat on those bread biscuits (I love bread!)

I then drink lots of water throughout the day (7-8 bottles worth). If I am hungry at night it is usually some sliced veggies or popcorn. I never eat past 8:30pm at night.

This diet has worked wonders for the past 8 weeks. My max weight was 255lbs and now I am at my 233.5lbs. In a given week I can fluctuate from 231-236. I felt extremely healthy at 200lbs, however, seeing some people of my height around 175lbs seems rather small.

My goal would be to shed the fat and then gain some muscle. I have no intent on being huge, but I'd like to be more than cut or "skinny".

I hope this helps... if there is any information you need just let me know. My meals are pretty much set in stone everyday as my wife eats the exact same meal. She makes our lunches before she goes to bed every night and makes them at the same time. If I need more of something please try and cater to what I have listed so far!

Thanks!

John

I also am using this forum as a support channel. I want people to help hold me accountable to my actions. You guys have been a great inspiration from all of the threads I have looked in.

:)

I also am using this forum as a support channel. I want people to help hold me accountable to my actions. You guys have been a great inspiration from all of the threads I have looked in.

:)

HEY!........Im your "Huckelberry"......

I can rock you with accountability.....No problem....

How about a journal......I DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER: Unacceptable.

Create this journal in the mens section. WHY? It will do you good.

If you dont. I yell at you-----LOUD......and I will be creative in doing so.

You can carry over this info, and this will get you started on the right foot and allow alot of eyes to see your IMPRESSIVE START......

Lets rock.....

Dont make me open.....my mouth...:)

Chillen

HEY!........Im your "Huckelberry"......

I can rock you with accountability.....No problem....

How about a journal......I DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER: Unacceptable.

Create this journal in the mens section. WHY? It will do you good.

If you dont. I yell at you-----LOUD......and I will be creative in doing so.

You can carry over this info, and this will get you started on the right foot and allow alot of eyes to see your IMPRESSIVE START......

Lets rock.....

Dont make me open.....my mouth...:)

Chillen

Thanks! :)

By carryover do you mean copy this thread and make it in the mens section?

Yes, copy and past it to your journal bro......this will be your personal place for your diet and training program.

I will check it out after I train......it will be an hour.....or so.....I have a 500 push up challege to meet.....LOL........

ROCK ON!

Chillen

I also got more inspiration from my friend's uncle. He is a HUGE fitness guy. He is like 38 years old and cycles nearly everyday. In the winter when he can't ride outside he brings his bike inside and hooks it up to a "trainer". He is so cut and fit it is amazing.

He basically said just ONE THING that clicked in my brain. He said, "Hey man, if you put as much effort into your body (diet/excersize) as you do your car hobby, you'd be in great shape!"

We only get one body for our life, why abuse it now and pay ten fold when I am older?!

Yes, copy and past it to your journal bro......this will be your personal place for your diet and training program.

I will check it out after I train......it will be an hour.....or so.....I have a 500 push up challege to meet.....LOL........

ROCK ON!

Chillen

Okay, sounds good!

I won't be starting my full work out routine until I get some feedback from you guys, I also have to get my membership up and running.

The past 8 weeks also changed. I was relocated to downtown St. Paul and after driving it drove me nuts. I now go to a Park 'N Ride and take the bus downtown. This is great for a few reasons. 1. I don't have to sweat and punch my steering wheel and get worked up over morning traffic - I now get to work at the same time EVERYDAY! 2. I get dropped off 5 blocks from my work, so that is 10 blocks of walking that I normally didn't do (I know it's not much, but its way more than nothing at all). 3. This also places me right next to the gym. When the bus drops me off at 5:30pm I will be less than 4 blocks from Lifetime. This means I'd have to pass he gym on the way home and will most likely give me a ****ty feeling for not going!

I need to check with my Health Partners insurance program.. I think my corporation gets a discount... or at least has some wellness program that kicks back like 50% if you go 3-4 times per month. :)

With that being said, it's late, and I am going to hit the sack. :) Cya tomorrow!

OK big boy, hehehe, let's get rockin'. I have reserved one day a week for a free day which includes beer drinking. But, THAT IS THE ONLY DAY!!!!!! Every other day is focus, focus, focus. Even on that one day you must be committed on everything else. Eat right up until and after the beer, no beer munchies are allowed. If this fat boy can do it, you can to. Give me an update daily and we'll bust through this together. After all, we don't want Chillen or Flyinfree on our cases, lol. P.S. - thanks u 2 for keeping us straight. CYA, Greg

I also got more inspiration from my friend's uncle. He is a HUGE fitness guy. He is like 38 years old and cycles nearly everyday. In the winter when he can't ride outside he brings his bike inside and hooks it up to a "trainer". He is so cut and fit it is amazing.

He basically said just ONE THING that clicked in my brain. He said, "Hey man, if you put as much effort into your body (diet/excersize) as you do your car hobby, you'd be in great shape!"

We only get one body for our life, why abuse it now and pay ten fold when I am older?!

Im 46 years old (you are new and probably didnt know that), and I torture my body appropriately all the time.....and most important to note is the fact that I never "seriously" trained all the years prior to 44 years old and ate crap.........and turned it all around.......and so can you....one is never too old in my opinion.....to flat rock!

GET UP..........STAND UP........JUST DO IT.....WHERE IS THIS JOURNAL?

So true Chill bro. When I worked in the hospital I couldn't count the times I heard "it's because I'm 30 years old" or "it's because I had a baby". Very few want to take responsibility for their own actions. I know why I'm 38 and a fat butt. And, I WILL CHANGE IT. NO EXCUSES! Personal accountability is where its at. Thanks for the enthusiasm bro. We all prosper from it. Thanks again, Greg

I wish I had known in my prime what the last two years (very close) had taught me about my body and spirit.

It can open a true spirit to ones self and wake up an inner being thought not to be present and both of these can unveil a human being never thought possible. Thus I push.

Chillen

I've lurked for a bit and finally decided to register. After trying to figure things out on my own it really hasn't worked. I am disgusted in myself for letting myself get the way I am. Seeing myself getting bigger, or lately, not any smaller (maybe 1lb/week), doens't help my self esteem.

With that being said here are my vitals:

25 years old
BMI: No idea
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 233.5lbs
Waist: 40-42 :(

My diet right now is based on losing some weight. I eat what my wife gives me. I know it is based around some Weight Watchers point system. I eat the same thing 5 days per week. Here it is:

Welcome to the forum !

If you and your wife want to lose fat, it's always a good idea to first get some rough idea of how much fat you currently have on you. You do this by calculating an estimate of your " body fat % ".

Each person's goals vary, but by way of benchmark and to also help you decide on your goals, a ' healthy normal ' body fat % ' for most Caucasian men is around 15% ( though the average for most men is higher - around 23% ). A ' healthy normal ' body fat % ' for most Caucasian women is around 22% ( the average for most women is around 32% ).

Both you and your wife can use this on-line calculator to ' ballpark ' your body fat %.........

Now, I know you are following your wife's Weight Watcher plan, but it is probably a good idea to first reconcile those calories you are taking in now to an estimate of what your ' maintenance calories ' ( the theoretical calorie level that won't cause you to gain or lose fat ) should be

Here is an on-line calculator you can use to estimate what your ' maintenance calories ' might be......

How does ' maintenance calories ' calc you came up with above compare to the total calories per day you are taking in with Weight Watchers ?

Now in terms of fat loss, you want to make some adjustments to the ' maintenance calories ' you came up with above. This article below does a really nice job of reviewing the relevance of that ' maintenance calorie ' calc in terms of adjusting it when trying to lose fat.

Welcome, I am going to check your journal.

Back