15 y/o skinny, looking to bulk up for rugby

hi all,
im 15y/o, 5 foot 6 and weigh just 114 pounds/52 kg. i have a very fast metabolism. i have been lifting weights for nearly a year (just bicep curls and dumbell press) and havent seen very good result yet. As u can tell i have a very slim frame. I have just began going to the gym twice and week and want some advice as to how to gain 10-15kg in about 9 months. Over the past year a put on 12g but that was largly due to a growth spurt. I drink homemade protein shake (milk, full cream milk powder, honey, choc milkshake powder once a week) and am not prepared to folk out money to buy proper stuff and my parents wont allow me to buy it. I eat pretty well, breakfast- cereal, recess - fruit and either an up n go or small cake, lunch - sandwhich and fruit afternoon tea - cereal, dinner - spaghetti and meat (usually mince or diced beef) and vegetable salad.

thanx in advance :):)

First off welcome to forum. Secondly I also experience the same problem as you, I have the same frame as you just 15-20 pounds more. If you wanna bulk you are going to have to do more then bicep curls and dumbell presses. Try a FBW(Full Body Workout). Look around on the forums they are plenty of them to use as example or as your own. Mainly a FBW consist of Squats, Deadlfits, Bench Presses and a little bit more. So again welcome to the forums and search around on here a bit to find some good examples of full body workouts

I would get you started in a full-body routine. This would consist of mostly compound exercises, exercises that use more than one muscle group, such as bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc. You will also be working your whole body in a single workout, but rather frequently at three times a week. So here is a schedule to get you going:

*Squats (Conventional Squat, Bulgerian Split Squat, Hack Squat)
*Push Variation (Bench Press, Military Press, Incline, Decline, Dumbell, Barbell)
*Pull Variation (Pull-Ups, Cable Rows, Bent-Over Rows, Face Pulls, Dumbell, Barbell, Wide Grip, Narrow Grip, Pronated Grip)
*Deadlift / Lunge (Conventional Deadlift, Romanian Deadlift, Sumo Deadlift, One-Legged Deadlift, Dumbell, Barbell, Trap Bar)
*Core Exercise (Planks, Hanging Leg Raises, Situps, the list is endless here)
*Isolation/Correction Exercise (Curls, Skullcrushers, Flys, Lateral Raises, Front Raises, Calf Raises, etc.)

You can change up the order in which you do them to keep your body guessing, just have the corework and isolation last. The isolation work is optional and the first couple of weeks, you might not even be able to bust it out, it's not at the core of your routine. Also, you can change up your reps and sets in accordance to your goals. If you are going for strength, figure around (reps x sets) 3x8, 4x6, or 5x5. If you are looking for some size, figure around 5x5, 6x4, 8x3. Note that these are loose figures and won't mean that one is only focused on size or strength. You can choose a middle ground if you'd like and go from there. It's all up to you really. Just make sure that you switch it up from time to time.

Diet is what will determine whether you gain size, lose size, and what composition that is (muscle or body fat). This means that diet is a huge chunk of everything. Find out your daily caloric needs and up it say 500 calories to bulk up. You should be having around 6-7 meals a day, with protein in each spread throughout the day. You should also be getting veggies and fruit in, of course.

If you need any help with the exercises or about the rep scheme, or anything I have posted, feel free to ask!

A good thing to look into, even though somewhat intermediate, is the Bill Starr 5x5 program. It's solid with its gains, and as a rugby player you are going to need strength all around, especially at the core.

What position will you be looking to play, a forward or back? Forwards are normally tanks and it may not fit your role, but if you really wish to play that, then best of luck. Backs are generally smaller but much faster. Make a workout according to that.

Or you could give up touch rugby, and play union ;)

What club are you at? That size you'll get munched up if you're not alert so get working on your ball skills. Come back when you're 18/19 then hit the weights. For now, work on your skills.

well ive been playing touch for about 7 years now so my skills are good enough ;) . lol screw union

Back