okay here's today's laugh....

I am female, 54, 5'4", 116 lbs. I have been working at a women's gym for the last 3 years. I LOVE exercising and fitness (altho I do love junk food too) - have always been in decent shape even after two children. I am very active and love all outdoor sports (this year I am giving up waterskiing though. Don't want to fall and break something.) Lately I have been considering trying to get some type of personal training certificate - mostly for my own information but perhaps to make a little money also. Am I too old??????????????????? Would anyone hire a middle aged woman?

Absolutely not. Get to it.

I would think it would depend on your attitude....if it bothers you then maybe it would bother others? Relativity is always a course of action...for example others that are your age would probably feel more comfortable training w/you than say a younger trainer. I think your outlook and how you sell yourself (and how much knowledge you have) would hinge alot on how much business you would rake in though, not so much the age factor. Me and my dad run a side business and if someone is 45+ then he usually sells the job.. if they are under 40 I usually sell the job....if they are somewhere inbetween then its either both of us or a flip of the coin. Some ppl relate to their elders as being more knowledgeable too :)

I would have no problem having an older personal trainer if she knew her stuff.

Maybe people your age would be MORE comfortable with you versus someone younger too.

I am female, 54, 5'4", 116 lbs. I have been working at a women's gym for the last 3 years. I LOVE exercising and fitness (altho I do love junk food too) - have always been in decent shape even after two children. I am very active and love all outdoor sports (this year I am giving up waterskiing though. Don't want to fall and break something.) Lately I have been considering trying to get some type of personal training certificate - mostly for my own information but perhaps to make a little money also. Am I too old??????????????????? Would anyone hire a middle aged woman?

I have a client and former "student" your age who is also a personal trainer. She doesn't have a problem finding clients :)

With age comes experience, and you can't fake that...trust in your knowledge and abilities and you'll be better than no-nothing trainers literally half your age!

I find that the fastest growing population to use personal trainers are the baby boomers. They are generally more comfortable with someone that they do not consider a "kid." Being able to relate to their trainer is a big deal for people, and lets face it, it can be tough for a baby boomer to relate to a 20-something.

At many gyms I have worked at trainers in their 40's and 50's have been able to corner the baby boomer market. I think that there is huge opportunity there.

At my gym there is a big old shaved lesbian granny who is training all the girls and i have seen her train one rather huge guy...so no its completely possible :)

well thank you so much smith - you are quite an encouragement!!

actually i DO work at a gym that has curves equipment but we also have free weights and weight machines. and we have "toning" beds but i won't even go there... i also was trained as a "trainer" for the curves equipment but of course that has no certification and all i learned was how the machines worked and how to do them properly. i am wanting to know how the BODY works now. there are so many women here that need help. and i am thinking mostly of the women my age and older. i am in MUCH MUCH better shape than most of the women my age here. i have always made it a point to be healthy and in decent shape. (what i would really like to get rid of on my body is the little pouch of fat on my lower abdomen. and i know that will take mostly diet. i already do about 70 situps a day.)

now my dilemma is time and money - which i know does not affect any one else:):) i do not want to GO somewhere to study and i certainly don't trust just any online program. i think there is a thread on this forum somewhere about online programs. if there is one for 100.00 i'll take it!! LOL

seriously thanks so much for everyone's - well ALMOST everyone- encouragement. i will now give this some serious thought.

i hope you all have a healthy and blessed day!!!

and we have "toning" beds but i won't even go there...

Lol, I hope that isn't anything like I'm imagining it to be, just the thought is making the rage build up inside me :D

As for the time and money thing, I know what you mean because I have a high mortgage and family, but if you want it enough you'll always find a way

I would so LOVE to find a female trainer in her fifties! I am of the same demographics and would drive the extra mile to a trainer who is "like me". By all means, do get your certificate!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON!

The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.
Denis Watley

You have yours defined, GIRL! and there believable and achievable!

You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things - to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals.
Edmund Hillary

(Be motivated and reach your challege! GO! ROCK THE HELL ON!)

Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.
Stephen A. Brennan

(you have the plan, and you believe).........and you will ACHIEVE!)

Chillen

I used to be a lifeguard at our local pool when I was 16 years of age, We would open early so people can come in and do laps before the general public . Anyway we had this old man, in his 90's come in every morning and swim 1 mile.

He was a inspiration to all of us, that old and in that great of shape, getting old has to do with attitude, not years. It is all in the mind.

Go get your certificate and enjoy it!

At my gym, we have a women in her late 50s/early 60s - which is just a guess, no one knows her actual age, and we think she may be older, just doesn't look it.

Anyway, she is in awesome shape, and she trains every one from teenage boys to 90 yr olds.

Go for it.

Havent heard from ya in a while. How is it going?

Back