Muscle Memory/Weaknesses

Alright, I have a workout plan below that I would love suggestions on. Currently I want to tie down the lifts I am going to do, and just cadence, and weight to throw off muscle memory. Not sure that is possible. So..

Question 1: Will this keep muscle memory at bay?
Question 2: Since your only as strong as your weakest muscle, what weaknesses will I have?

Thanks very much for any suggestions and or advice.

Exercises

Day:Upper Body
Back
Pull Ups
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Chest
Bench Press, Barbell
Incline Press, Dumbbell
Shoulders
Arnold Press, Dumbbell
Biceps
Single Arm Preacher Curl, Dumbbell
Triceps
Dips

Day:Lower Body
Legs
Squats
Romanian Deadlifts
Lower Back
Deadlifts
Good Mornings
Abs
Leg Raises (Not sure what the name is)

Variation to Halt Muscle Memory
Week 1-3
Standard, fast cadence, 12-15 reps
Week 4-6
Controlled, 3 second up an down cadence, 8-10 reps
Week 7-9
Power, fast cadence, 5 reps, max weight handled
week 10
Nothing, rest

Last edited:
What is your goal? Size, strength, fatloss?

Also, in terms of your workout, tell us if that is the order you plan on doing the exercises in, and setsxreps and such.

If you do squats properly, that and deadlifts will take alot out of you, you definitely won't be able to do squats, 2 types of deadlifts, and goodmornings in one workout.

You won't need bicep isolation after pullups and rows.

You have 4 shoulder tricpe chest exercises on upper body day, I'd cut two or at least one of them out and switch it in from time to time. Over training is bad.

Mscule memory, I don't tihnk is necessarily a bad thing. Your body simply getting sued to a movement and recruiting less fibers to get it done is. a good way to coutner this is simply changing exercises. As for rep changes, this could be done from workout to workout. not simply weeks at a time.

I recommend that you buy The New Rules of lifting and use the programs in it in which Alwyn has already accounted for your concerns in the workouts he planned.

Sticking with tried and true programs is normally better than trying to make up your own. believe me, I've tried both.

My goal is Size, Strength, then Fat Loss. In that order.

The workout would be in the order listed, with the reps in the range based on the week of the plan it falls on.

I agree with you on the being two wiped for all Squats and Deadlifts, but was trying not to miss any body part, but still keep my training splits within two days.

The rep changes could be changed from workout to workout, but I liked to have things scheduled... otherwise I might forget to switch it up.

Heading out the door for the book you specify... I hope its in stores.

I agree with you on the being two wiped for all Squats and Deadlifts, but was trying not to miss any body part, but still keep my training splits within two days.

The rep changes could be changed from workout to workout, but I liked to have things scheduled... otherwise I might forget to switch it up.

Heading out the door for the book you specify... I hope its in stores.

Don't worry, you won't miss any body parts. I'm fairly sure any kind of deadlift hits the same body parts as any other variation, jsut to a different extent.

It's fairly easy to schedule rep changes from workout to workout, you could do 3x15, 5x5 4x8 and repeat, dont' forget to change rest times as well.

You could probably save money buying it from Amazon.com I did. In book stores NROL is around 25 dollars and amazon sells it for 17.

Hmmm that price makes me sketchy, I bought the book last nite and made it through the first 55 pages. I hope that price isn't relative to its quality.

Hmmm that price makes me sketchy, I bought the book last nite and made it through the first 55 pages. I hope that price isn't relative to its quality.

it's a good book.

Back